nude sunbathing?

C

CES

Re: Topless sunbathing (WBDominicana:)

Posted By: CES <ambersa@jps.net>

Date: Monday, 25 December 2000

In Response To: Re: Topless sunbathing

(WBDominicana)

>>> "Respectable (and less-than respectable) Dominican females do not go topless; in fact, young girls there frequently wear a t-shirt OVER a swimsuit when on the beach. . ." <<<

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ { :) } ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Estimada WBDominicana,

Ms. Dominicana, your response is exactly as what I would expect from a proper Dominican lady of good upbringing. Nudity on public beaches (not resort controlled areas) in the context of a "Dominican family" outing just isn't proper, period. As you've stated "when in Roma" particularly applies when children or
grandparents are present. On the beach areas directly controlled by a resort an entirely different situation occurs, the attendance of large numbers of Europeans. What to do? The resort is in business to make money and the preponderance of guests are non Dominican. How can the resort reasonably require the offending guests (nude) to cover up? The all mighty dollar (peso :) rules in this case, much to my consternation. I guess one answer would be to post the beach with a warning, something about the presence of topless sun loving 'uro dollars' (being spent :).

Regards,

. . . CES

ps . . . "una Cibae?a" (mi esposito) has just returned from holiday in the DR and commented on the "toplessness" of Casa del Mar, it didn't bother her one bit (I was here in California and she was there, if you catch my drift . . . ;)

Click on for link to original message:

M

Mercedes

15??? Well, it's quite surprising! I grew up in the central highlands of the country and we, campesinos are more conservative people. Our boys are teenage boys are not inocent, bu parents keep an eye on them. And, of course, no telling the girls. We still use the chapperon sistem for girls, no matter the age. That's why I tend to generalize. I suppose, life for some costal dominican cities, whose people maight call themselves more civilized than the interior recidents, are influenced by the intercultural customs.
Thanks for your reply.
Mercedes.

B

Bob McKenzie

Linda. Your original question reminds me of a similar thread in this Forum twelve months ago where an American lady had just returned from the DR with her family and was utterly shocked and horrified by a few topless bathers. She said 'when we had regrouped and calmed down, we continued our vacation but would not have gone in the first place had we known that topless bathing was permitted'.
Her post provoked many responses mainly from Europeans who do not view the situation lewd or distasteful, in fact, nobody turns a blind eye.
The general consensus of the thread was that these topless women should really have respected the feelings of the local population but, it is taking it to the extreme to talk about 'regrouping' and being 'shocked and horrified'.
Personally, I found it very sad indeed that a visitor could be so offended by the human body to such an extent that they would not return to the DR again.
It should always be a condition that total nudity is confined, as it is in Europe, to designated areas. On my many visits I have never seen a single naked person and I hope that you have a wonderful time in the DR. Lovely place and delightful people.

C

CES

Re: nude sunbathing? ( Bob, Thank you :)

>>> " ... and I hope that you have a wonderful time in the DR. Lovely place and delightful people." <<<

Thank you Bob McKenzie, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, & thanks.

Ah . . . did I say thank you? > > > :) < < <

Best Regards,

. . . CES

ps . . . I was going to do a simple *DC* but Toms' "request" has "sensitized" me to do otherwise - lol

T

Tom

Re: nude sunbathing? ( Bob, Thank you :)

Charlie

See how much more meaning your post has than a simple "DC" :)

Tom