obesity in DR at 22%

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Virgo, we are talking about cultural idiosyncrasies here. I believe they are a bit different than, say, the type of stereotyping you are referring to.

Case in point-I was talking to a friend the other day about Puerto Rican girls. He said they all have a plastic butter tub full of leftover rice in their refrigerators. I laughed because it is common in certain instances, which is different than saying it's true in all cases.

And that's how we roll here on DR1 with what you erroneously refer to as "negative stereotyping" of all Dominicans. It varies by degree, but the one thing that unites us all is a love of the DR and its people, regardless of the fact that sometimes we complain about how some of them behave.

So my advice to you is, if you don't want to keep getting infractions for the same thing, read what I just wrote and "cojelo con take it easy".

Last edited:

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Have you ever sat with a group of Dominicans even those who are well travelled and educated and heard how we stereotype and use derogatory terms about everybody... Clearly you have no clue. At best you are an anchor baby

WE??? Why WE?

Oh, I now remember...you are 'Dominican'...How could I forget? That's why you miss no opportunity to discharge your inner most fetid putridness on 'your' people and country, while cowardly hiding behind the anonymity of the web, right? 'Dominican', of course. What else could it be? A cowardly ploy to viciously attack people you despise while pretending to be 'one of them'? NAAAH!

Anyhow, even if 'we' were guilty of stereotyping and slurring against others, that wouldn't exactly make it right, though. Ever heard that 2 wrongs don't make one right? Take it from a Dominican to 'another'.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Virgo, we are talking about cultural idiosyncrasies here.
Saying that most Dominicans spend all their time texting doesn't cut it for me as a 'cultural idiosyncrasy'.

But I'll give you this: it's nowhere near the worst I have read in this very board...not eve close. And I can find proof if needed.

Tough love, right?

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Virgo...this forum is about the Dominican Republic. This is not about "slurring" against anyone. Have over the years the Dominican population "grown in weight", YES..but so have many other countries. It is not stereotyping, it is the truth. My SIL is a physician in the DR and has said the same. However there does seem to be a movement where many are trying to get "healthy". You must know that the diet here for many is not really the most healthy one (as many other countries) however it may be the most affordable for some. Stop making it "we against them", it grows old. We all could do for a better diet...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The healthiest diet is a plant based diet. Judging by most past comment the majority that post here are not vegans and are probably over weight and under exercised. I am guilty of under exercising myself. My gym appointment do find many healthy and fit Dominicans in the gym. Many of our teaxhers are avid exercisers and watch what they eat. Definitely more fatties in the DR than the past. More motos and carros as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Well while plant based diets are common, unfortunately it's the white killers: white rice, white bread, and white sugar in order of popularity, that are very popular here.

Apr 7, 2014
WE??? Why WE?

Oh, I now remember...you are 'Dominican'...How could I forget? That's why you miss no opportunity to discharge your inner most fetid putridness on 'your' people and country, while cowardly hiding behind the anonymity of the web, right? 'Dominican', of course. What else could it be? A cowardly ploy to viciously attack people you despise while pretending to be 'one of them'? NAAAH!

Anyhow, even if 'we' were guilty of stereotyping and slurring against others, that wouldn't exactly make it right, though. Ever heard that 2 wrongs don't make one right? Take it from a Dominican to 'another'.
If 2 wrongs dont make a right, then why do your people keeping doing them? I read you and Fabio Guzman and a few others take offense at the disparaging comments. You should. But you should also be offended by the lack of common sense and accountability in your own people, of which everyone becomes silent. If you and Guzman and the others took more offense at the foolish things your own people do and found a way to shun them or castigate them then there would very little of consequence for us to comment on.
As it stands man, if you have common sense and reason then its not genetic it is either social or cultural. Guzman knows dang-well if he didnt operate at a higher standard he would never have all these international clients. So perceptions like lack of accountability and poor planning arent even cultural they are social. So when we meet these people who have naive understanding, rash planning and childlike execution of those plans even you have to notice the inconsistencies. If you guys are engaged in your own community then you should be directing your efforts at getting your people to walk a path to greater productivity and success versus the useless adherence to "no es mi culpa" or anything which requires a modest level of effort "no tiene valor".

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The healthiest diet is a plant based diet.

when i was a teen i was a vegetarian for 1 year, 6 months and 24 days. gained weight and messed up my body forever. plant based diet will not help if you do not know how to do it properly.

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
Most people, once they reach adulthood, take on new priortiea and excercise isnt one of them.
Batata,plantains,yuca, salami, white rice, and fried food needs to be worked off with excercise, but instead worked off with inactivity.
If dominicans would walk more, 45 minutes a day, and do light cardio, the fat will stay off.

Its crazy that sports is promoted, so is fitness, but people would rather not excersise, or go after the wrong things with fitness. You need to stay fit, not
Impress people.

A lower bmi is not hard to achive, just change your lifestyle.

In DR, los pobres caminan, people wont be caught dead jogging or walking.

Jul 28, 2014
i think lots of obesity issues in DR come from lack of education/knowledge. many folks do not understand the value of proper nutrition and they do not know that metabolism changes with age. they really do not know how to be healthy.

I have to agree with that one 100%, the education system is more the fault, half days don't help. Instead of teaching kids to make jewelry > http://www.sosuanews.com/print.php?id=3408

Teach them true life oriented things, such as learning to save and manage money & how to maintain a healthy lifestyle (4 food groups).

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I have to agree with that one 100%, the education system is more the fault, half days don't help. Instead of teaching kids to make jewelry > http://www.sosuanews.com/print.php?id=3408

Teach them true life oriented things, such as learning to save and manage money & how to maintain a healthy lifestyle (4 food groups).

If one doesn't have enuff money to eat everyday they do not have enuff to save for the future.
Der Fish

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Well while plant based diets are common, unfortunately it's the white killers: white rice, white bread, and white sugar in order of popularity, that are very popular here.

And "white" potatoes. They are BAAAD

markryan

Jul 16, 2014
And "white" potatoes. They are BAAAD

Potatoes are one of the healthiest things on the planet to eat. You can live off them pretty much. They are good for you BAKED. French fries, roasted and mashed are what got them a bad name. A potato on it's own is very very healthy

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Potatoes are one of the healthiest things on the planet to eat. You can live off them pretty much. They are good for you BAKED. French fries, roasted and mashed are what got them a bad name. A potato on it's own is very very healthy

If one has diabetes they are on the "Bad stuff" list!

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Take ownership...for many of us we have learned the good and the bad here. I am guilty as the next when it comes to diet and exercise. The "typical" diet here does not lend itself to "healthy. That is on the individual. I guess I am not totally understanding where this is a "dig" at the Dominican population.