Status
Not open for further replies.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Time for your country to get off it's derrière:
The country is way behind in building a modern transit system in urban areas,
Subways, trams, light urban rail, fast long distance rail.
All existing infrastructure is ancient, including roads and bridges.

If you are worried about carbon footprints and commuters, public transit is the way.
Not telling people to buy EV's, private charging stations, or hydrogen vehicles.

The aim has to be to have urban transit and get people out of private cars.
If you want to see how modern transit works ago to EU, Japan, China.

The DR could have a rail system in the small country.
PUJ-SDQ-STI-POP to start with.
Obviously the majority of DR citizens lives in the two major cities.
It is there where modern transit is needed, to reduce pollution and traffic congestion.
This will help fight global warming and rising ocean temperatures.
Even in small towns like P.P. Sosua, Cabarete the traffic is increasingly horrendous.
It wouldn't move the temperature gauge one smidgin, however it would cut down on air pollution.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
It wouldn't move the temperature gauge one smidgin, however it would cut down on air pollution.
One think in its favor is that good rapid transit would cut down on traffic accidents. Its not a huge country so say between Santiago and Santo domingo
Would be helpful. Not many mountains there.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
What you have is insufficient aging infrastructure and gridlock in the large cities.
Unaffordable housing 1brm condo in Vancouver $3000, Toronto slightly less.
Low wages highway costs of living.
A very limited skytrain line, the rest in constant gridlock in the city, bridges and old highways.

Young families escaping to Alberta for lower prices to grow families.

Fewer can afford their trips to DR.
If they go shopping in Jumbo they spend 12,000 to 17,000 DOP, for those who still stay long time.

As far as the ocean current go, good luck.
Canada is incapable to defend itself without US help.
They could strenuously protest though.

Experts are urging the federal government to act quickly to enhance Canadian sovereignty in the Arctic before melting ice encourages more foreign vessels to use the Northwest Passage.

Some scientists predict that within 25 years, climate change could melt ice in Arctic waters, leaving them ice-free during summer months and thin enough to be kept open in the winter.

Ships travelling from Asia to Europe could trim 5,000 kilometres by taking the Northwest Passage, as opposed to the current route through the Panama Canal.

The United States doesn't recognize Canada's right to control who travels through the Northwest Passage. Washington believes many Arctic waterways are an international strait that any ship should be free to transit.

The DR will have to deal with changing ocean and land temperatures, including the result on fisheries.
As richer Nations have reduced disposable incomes, DR tourism may feel the pinch.
Your perception of Canada is so out of date, I don’t know where to begin to address the numerous fallacies quoted in your post. All I can do is suggest you spend some time travelling the country to get a real perspective. Travel, as you are no doubt aware, is the best education. Meet the people and get to know the culture. I spent many winters in the DR getting to know the people and the culture. I benefited greatly from the experience and have a much better perspective on the DR.

Canada is a member of NATO and, if attacked, would rely on NATO for assistance, not just the US. The US is a member of NATO, is geographically connected to Canada, and has more of a vested interest in assisting Canada during an attack. The reality is aggressors like Russia and China are not attacking to defeat Canada. The US is their primary military target.

Many countries, including Russia, Denmark, and the United States claim part ownership of the Canadian Arctic. Their claims are based on the geographical boundaries of the Arctic continental shelf. No nation is going to war to resolve those issues. Commercial vessels, research vessels, military vessels, even cruise ships, from many countries already navigate the North West Passage. It will be designated as International waters without resorting to aggression. By the way, it will be ice free in less than 25 years.

The water levels in the Panama Canal are decreasing due to changed and changing climate. The container ships are forced to transit the canal with less cargo. The North West Passage will be a viable alternative if the Panama Canal water level problem increases. The Panama Canal is the preferred route because it gives container vessels easier access to major North American cities and saves on time and fuel.

The bigger issue is Russia’s claim to the Arctic landmass adjacent to Canada. If they get it through non aggressive means, they will set up military bases and have a foothold on the North American landmass close to the US. That’s a risk to NATO. It won’t happen. As the NATO boundaries along the Russian borders increase, Russian aggression will diminish.

DR tourism will be impacted more by climate change than reduced income in the US, Canada, the UK, and Europe. As these nations get warmer, its citizens will have less desire to travel to the Caribbean, winter escape being the major motivator for travel to the Caribbean. Despite that the DR will survive, maybe on a reduced economic scale, if it can get it’s rapid population growth under control.

Your perception of China and its abilities is very different from the military intelligence gathered by NATO countries. I believe most of what NATO says and a lot less of what China says. Of course, you do have the option of living in China to confirm your beliefs. Good luck with that!

Reactions: AlaPlaya

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I recall an event, long before there was ever futuristic diatribes about Climate Change.
It was called the Dust Bowl in the 1930s and it affected large swaths of prairie in the US and Canada.
These Prairies have fully recovered and seen significant rains and even floods since. So to say that the Panama Canal is anything other than a seasonal drought is plain silly.

And even sillier is to predict the Northwest passage will be 'ice free' in 25 years is even crazier. Winters will still continue to ice over, yes, even 25 years into the 'bleak' future. It's like so many wild Global Warming claims that have not materialized.

Of course most of us on the DR forum won't be around to see that statement's absurdity.
The NW Passage has been navigable in the past, back to the turn of the century, and was even explored by the Vikings.
Newer, stronger and faster vessels are what made it so.

A completely open passage would be great for shipping transport, but in any event is and will continue to be for short periods during summer months.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I recall an event, long before there was ever futuristic diatribes about Climate Change.
It was called the Dust Bowl in the 1930s and it affected large swaths of prairie in the US and Canada.
These Prairies have fully recovered and seen significant rains and even floods since. So to say that the Panama Canal is anything other than a seasonal drought is plain silly.

And even sillier is to predict the Northwest passage will be 'ice free' in 25 years is even crazier. Winters will still continue to ice over, yes, even 25 years into the 'bleak' future. It's like so many wild Global Warming claims that have not materialized.

Of course most of us on the DR forum won't be around to see that statement's absurdity.
The NW Passage has been navigable in the past, back to the turn of the century, and was even explored by the Vikings.
Newer, stronger and faster vessels are what made it so.

A completely open passage would be great for shipping transport, but in any event is and will continue to be for short periods during summer months.
Chico. I’ve been in the Canadian Arctic and observed the effects of the melting permafrost due to climate warming. Something not seen or recorded since habitation of the Canadian Arctic.

I haven’t seen any records of extended periods of decreased water levels in the Panama Canal since its construction. Obviously dredging can extend the life of the Canal. It will always be used.

The Northwest Passage navigation season is increasing yearly whether people chose to believe it or not. Will the presence of ice in the Arctic ever disappear, I doubt it. Even Lloyds certified class 5 icebreakers have no difficulty navigating the passage earlier and later each year. The lack of rafted ice is the reason.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Chico. I’ve been in the Canadian Arctic and observed the effects of the melting permafrost due to climate warming. Something not seen or recorded since habitation of the Canadian Arctic.

I haven’t seen any records of extended periods of decreased water levels in the Panama Canal since its construction. Obviously dredging can extend the life of the Canal. It will always be used.

The Northwest Passage navigation season is increasing yearly whether people chose to believe it or not. Will the presence of ice in the Arctic ever disappear, I doubt it. Even Lloyds certified class 5 icebreakers have no difficulty navigating the passage earlier and later each year. The lack of rafted ice is the reason.
The canal locks are pumped fresh water. The lower water levels affect the 'lake' portion of the canal in Gatun lake. It's not the first time this has occurred but this is the most severe.
Rain in Panama can't be intense. At some point the El Niño effect will leave (as it always does) and a few days of storms can raise lake levels rapidly.

Status
Not open for further replies.