Ocean's Manor REsort -Cabarete??Formerly Las Palmas???

Status
Not open for further replies.

megamania

Sep 10, 2005
Prestige Rentals you say - eh????

FireGuy said:
Just like their "shattered nerve" calming service - above. ;) ;)

Just in case Meg thinks we have lost our minds; TimInDR's company IS Prestige Rentals.

Gregg
Ha, Ha, Ha, you guys are too funny!!! I think I have heard of that guy Tim who is so very accomodating and helpful. He goes the extra mile for ya .
Might just have to look him up!!!
Hope everyone I meet down there is half as cooperative.
Jeez.....January seems a long way off.......

I guess I can't complain much, we are experiencing 30 C weather right now, with the added bonus of all the trees turning colour. Absolutely beautiful time of year here in good ole Ontario. Trouble is.....it won't be long before those white flakes will be falling....Time to get the snowmobiled tuned up.

Happy trails folks!!!!

Meg :glasses:

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Wont be ready by december

Sorry to rain on your parade, but The Ocean Manor won't be ready by December......presently there is no work going on, all the rooms have been gutted, they almost had it ready for May 1, but all the furniture, including bedding, sinks, everything is out of the rooms.....aparently they sold everything to pay off local debt....the last time I went through the resort (about one month ago) the only thing they had left were some chairs in one of the resteraunts, the pools have been drained, all the balconies are bare, and now the resort is having a dispute over where they have their power pland located. Let me know if you want more information, as I travel past the resort every day on my comute to Cabarete
Hammerdown

megamania said:
Abe - Thank you for responding to my questions. It makes me feel a little better knowing that at least it looks like it might be operational in December.
I also was happy to hear that it is ocean front. I had been told by someone that the beach was not the real white sand , like at Punta Cana , for instance, but I am soooo looking forward to experiencing all the things you mentioned. Especially the people. I realize I have to hold a certain amount of caution, but I am tying to pick up on a few Spanish words to help me out.
One other question...Would you recommend exchanging U.S. dollars to pesos when we get there??? or would travellers cheques and U.S. cash suffice.
Again, I can only compare to St.Martens, and u.s. cash was accepted everywhere as well as visa, mastercard, etc. Why I asked is because of some of the comments I have read about in this forum. Again, your information and comments are very much appreciated.
The only other question is>>> You said it would take 15 minutes to get into town by cab or motorbike,,,,,is the Ocean s manor not right in Cabarete??
Again , because I do not know the lay out of the land, I am curious. I had heard it took 15 minutes to get to Sosua.
Thank you.
Meg

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
hammerdown said:
Sorry to rain on your parade, but The Ocean Manor won't be ready by December......presently there is no work going on, all the rooms have been gutted, they almost had it ready for May 1, but all the furniture, including bedding, sinks, everything is out of the rooms.....aparently they sold everything to pay off local debt....the last time I went through the resort (about one month ago) the only thing they had left were some chairs in one of the resteraunts, the pools have been drained, all the balconies are bare, and now the resort is having a dispute over where they have their power pland located. Let me know if you want more information, as I travel past the resort every day on my comute to Cabarete
Hammerdown
If you travel past every day you might want to re-acquaint yourself with the current status as TimInDR's report is from yesterday. I'm not doubting that what you say was true a month ago but how about confirming or refuting Tim's current reoprt vs. giving a month old report - it might help the OP more.

Gregg

Last edited:

TimInDR

Jun 4, 2005
www.prestigecarrentals.com
hammerdown said:
Hammerdown

...I swear, I didn't have my first beer until after I wrote the report. ;)

There was a ton of work going on yesterday when I was there. The rooms were gutted, but there were workers in several of them re-doing walls, ceilings, etc.

Have a look. See if we're talking about the same place.

tim

megamania

Sep 10, 2005
I am starting to twitch again......

TimInDR said:
...I swear, I didn't have my first beer until after I wrote the report. ;)

There was a ton of work going on yesterday when I was there. The rooms were gutted, but there were workers in several of them re-doing walls, ceilings, etc.

Have a look. See if we're talking about the same place.

tim
:cry:

Man,,,I believe you didn't have a beer tim, but really, what contrasting reports.
He must have had the wrong place. My ears and eyes will be wide open, waiting for Hammerdown to take another look!!
I have been told not to worry, by the resort owners, that they will have a two bedroom condo , oceanfront , ready for us on Jan 8th/06. Jeeeezzzzz, sure hope so!! Oh well, I guess if all hell break loose and it is not finished, they will just have to put us up somewhere else. Any recommendations for a two bedroom ocean front with lots of good restaurants, bars, etc. and a nice beach!!???
Let's hope it doesnt come to that. I was already starting to feel a little familiar with Cabarete!!

Keep me posted.
Meg

megamania

Sep 10, 2005
Have you got the right place?????

hammerdown said:
Hammerdown
Hi there. I am the one that is supposedly staying at the Ocean's Manor Resort in Cabarete in Jan/06.
Have you been into the resort jsut in the last couple of days??
Your comments have me a little concerned.
Tim had said the pool was filled with water and looking great. the other one was not. He said there was tons of work happening.
Everytime I talk to the owners of that resort (who are located in Ontario, Canada) they keep saying, no problem, it will be done.

Can you see why I would be confused???
Keep me posted please,,,,if it isn;t going to be ready, I will be onto the owners and fast for some explanations.
Thanks.
Meg

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Not to worry

I'm sure you're going to have a blast, no matter how it works out.
There are all sorts of great places to stay around here and you now have some new DR1 friends.

TimInDR

Jun 4, 2005
www.prestigecarrentals.com
Rocky said:
I'm sure you're going to have a blast, no matter how it works out.
There are all sorts of great places to stay around here and you now have some new DR1 friends.

Yup. It'll all work out fine. I'll do another check-up in a month or two and see how the progress is going.

I'm positive I was in the right place, by the way. The sign out front was unmistakeable.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Reply about Ocean Manor

hammerdown said:
Hammerdown

Ok Meg, I was there on Saturday, not a lot going on, the reception staff aren't quite confident it will open in November or December, but if you are there in January, then it may be open. The Infinity Pool, by the ocean is filled with water, and they are working on the balconies, the other pool has no water in it, but a day of cleaning and putting water in it will make it ok....They fixed the washrooms, as before the walls didn't go to the ceiling, they are still waiting for appliances, but who knows, it won't take that long to install them when the rooms are finished. If it opens the resort will be first class, private, quiet and quite beautiful. And one of the best places to eat is right across the street, called the Fat Chicken. The owner of that resteraunt is in Germany until November, and she makes the best chicken, fish and pork in Cabarete, and the prices are a lot cheaper than other places.....if you can request the floor of the room you want, request the third because it has the best view, and make sure you request an ocean view as there are about 4 rooms with a good view of the ocean.....any other questions let me know, and I hope the place opens for you in time for you to enjoy the Dominican Republic.
Hammerdown

megamania

Sep 10, 2005
Ocean's Manor-sounding much better!!

hammerdown said:
Ok Meg, I was there on Saturday, not a lot going on, the reception staff aren't quite confident it will open in November or December, but if you are there in January, then it may be open. The Infinity Pool, by the ocean is filled with water, and they are working on the balconies, the other pool has no water in it, but a day of cleaning and putting water in it will make it ok....They fixed the washrooms, as before the walls didn't go to the ceiling, they are still waiting for appliances, but who knows, it won't take that long to install them when the rooms are finished. If it opens the resort will be first class, private, quiet and quite beautiful. And one of the best places to eat is right across the street, called the Fat Chicken. The owner of that resteraunt is in Germany until November, and she makes the best chicken, fish and pork in Cabarete, and the prices are a lot cheaper than other places.....if you can request the floor of the room you want, request the third because it has the best view, and make sure you request an ocean view as there are about 4 rooms with a good view of the ocean.....any other questions let me know, and I hope the place opens for you in time for you to enjoy the Dominican Republic.
Hammerdown

Hammerdown, thank you very very much. Between what you and Tim have told me about this place, sounds like we will like it. I especially liked to hear about the great eating place right across the road.
You mentioned requesting the third floor. I will do that most definitely!! Also we upgraded to a two bedroom condo rather than a one bedroom, sure hope the two bedroom has ocean view as we requested!! I will check with them again.
The other very quick question is>>> what is around for grocery shopping, night life, beach bars, etc. I think for sure we are going to rent a car, but it is nice to have an idea. How would you say groceries compare in price to say in United States, if you know.
Again, thank you so much. I have been away for a day or two and didn't see your comments till now.

Have a great day!!

Meg ;)

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Hey meg, how goes the weather as of Nov 1......its real nice here, but a little rain here and there....I talked to the GM of the resort, not the old one that got fired but the new guy and he's pretty sure you will have a room, but maybe not in the new part of the resort.....even though its still a quiet location and will be a nice place for you....if you want any advice on any tours or things to do in the DR let me know and I can email you some interesting things to do.....anyway hope to see you here and hope you have a good time
Hammerdown

megamania

Sep 10, 2005
Day trips and stuff!

Hammerdown! how's it going?
Saw your message, thanks for the update. I was just thinking of posting a question on board to see if there were any new updates on the Ocean's Manor. Time is counting down.......will Jan 8th ever come??????????????? I am so looking forward to seeing the D.R. for first time, and hopefully experiencing a fair bit while there. I know that sand gravity is going to have to happen to, but....would really like to fit in maybe a ride into the interior. I keep hearing about waterfalls, etc. Any info on a day trip or whatever would be nice.
Wouldn't mind a little sunset tour on a boat or whatever, but if the waters are too choppy, am not sure how good my "sea-legs" are!
Sounds like Ocean's Manor is coming along. At least I hope so. Would be nice to stay in the new part, but whatever.
I seem to have a little trouble getting questions answered from my home resort in Collingwood that purchased Ocean's Manor. That in itself, makes me a bit leary.
As far as the weather here, at R. R. # 1 Harriston (about 1 hour north of Toronto) it has been actually very nice "fall " weather. Last week it was like 15 c , sunny and quite nice. However, it took a turn for the worse yesterday. Very windy, cold, wet,,,blah.. That of course is why i am looking for ward to our trip. I just hope that the weather is not like other January's down there.
From what I have read,,,,it seems that it has not been that nice in January. Maybe we should have picked a different time??? What is your take on what to expect weatherwise in early Jan/06?

Have a good day
Meg:classic:

Denmay565

Dec 6, 2005
I saw the Ocean's Manor in mid November

The place is only about 1 km from Cabrete and is easily walkable to Town. When I saw the place on November 13th, there were a couple of people in the pool. In fact one of them was the gentleman who owns one of the two beautiful homes on the ocean just west of the place. There was some construction going on and you could see portions of the place were recently painted as previously described. It looks like it will be beautiful when it is finished and there is definitely work going on. I recall a large sign in front which says Ocean's Manor Resort and Country Club...yes Country Club and a sign across the street which said Gallo Gas but it was on a fence and no station was visible. The beach isn't the best (brown sand) but is nice. However, the views are awesome. There are new condominiums going in next door which they just broke ground for. The location is superb and if you get a third floor room at the Ocean's Manor, the views will be awesome. Some rooms appear to be no more than 300 feet from the beach. I would say once it is complete it will be a first class place in a great location. However, as noted many times on the Board, construction in the D.R. generally goes slower than expected so it may not be up to your standards by the first of the year. Hopefully, others on the Board will be able to keep you updated.

Ciardu

Apr 7, 2006
Can some give me any up to date info on Ocean Manor Resort, I will be travelling there in August and I was wondering if construction is completed and if they are up and running.

Thanks

Ciardu

Denmay565

Dec 6, 2005
Ocean's Manor

When I saw it in mid April, it looked like the construction was complete and it was up and running. It looked very good; freshly painted, everything tidy and clearly different from when I had seen it about 5 months earlier. I recall someone posting a website for them which showed they have invested lots of money into this place to make it a first class place. If anyone on the Board has stayed there recently, maybe they can share their experience. The views are awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.