Odebrecht and Braskem Plead Guilty and Agree to Pay at Least $3.5 Billion in Global P

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Which public work projects was this company responsible for here in the DR? Maybe the bribes were worth it and they really committed a public service in the public works department.
Hell, the construction business all over the world, especially the US region of New York-New Jersey has been rigged since Day 1. Even the nice little places nobody talks about has people that have had their pockets lined. Just the facts.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Which public work projects was this company responsible for here in the DR? Maybe the bribes were worth it and they really committed a public service in the public works department.
Hell, the construction business all over the world, especially the US region of New York-New Jersey has been rigged since Day 1. Even the nice little places nobody talks about has people that have had their pockets lined. Just the facts.
Ditto on that Amigo. Former mayor of Montreal and other cronies on trial or convicted of taking bribes from construction companies with mafia underpinnings. There has been an ongoing provincial inquiry into the depth of bribery in Quebec for over a year now. The more that dig, the worse it gets.*

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Ditto on that Amigo. Former mayor of Montreal and other cronies on trial or convicted of taking bribes from construction companies with mafia underpinnings. There has been an ongoing provincial inquiry into the depth of bribery in Quebec for over a year now. The more that dig, the worse it gets.*

And that's when and where they choose to "dig". Bid rigging is the 2nd oldest profession in the world. If it gets the job done correctly and on time so be it.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
These are the boys from Brazil who were uncovered in the "Operation Car Wash"....Odebrecht and Braskem used millions of dollars to bribe government officials around the world......lets focus on the DR.....

*"In or about and between 2001 and 2014, ODEBRECHT made and caused to be made more than $98 million in corrupt payments to government officials and intermediaries working on their behalf in the Dominican Republic. ODEBRECHT realized benefits of more than $163 million as a result of these corrupt payments"

*Page 19 Section D #54

https://www.justice.gov/opa/press-release/file/919911/download

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/odeb...pay-least-35-billion-global-penalties-resolve

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-brazil-corruption-usa-idUSKBN14A1QE

Medina says he will investigate the payoffs and has set up committees to look into the matter. What a joke!!!!!! This is the way business is done in the DR. The rich get richer at the expense of the working class. Who will be the sacrificial lamb in all of this. Someone in the DR Gov. will have to take the fall. Who knows? Gov. officials are also good at C.Y.A.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

As I understand it , the new toll roads, a big power facility.

For this amount of payola, the jobs were BIG, *IMO

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
Corruption appears to be much more efficient in the D.R. than in other Latin American countries.

They have it down to a science. It's pretty much an economic sector in the DR. I have known many political activist in the DR and the driving force is not change, but the opportunity to rob the coffers or get their piece of the bribe stream.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
Medina says he will investigate the payoffs and has set up committees to look into the matter. What a joke!!!!!! This is the way business is done in the DR. The rich get richer at the expense of the working class. Who will be the sacrificial lamb in all of this. Someone in the DR Gov. will have to take the fall. Who knows? Gov. officials are also good at C.Y.A.

LT knows the deal. Watch after the next election how many cases of corruption come up. The bigwigs will skate and some lowly underling director will take the fall.

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015
Some countries like Panama, Colombia have arrested people......here all they do is question people..... the shoeshine boy is next....

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
What was the bribe when we bought the drug planes from Brazil? Always wondered. You know they did it. Why else choose Brazil for the plane purchase? The best planes at the best price or the biggest under the table pay off?

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
From the DR1 new report on Tuesday January 24th

"Addendums to Odebrecht works sometimes doubled the original costs

A report in El Dia explains that the final cost of most of the construction works carried out 2001-2014 by the Brazilian construction company Odebrecht were double the original cost estimates. The company and government officials are under investigation after a New York court revealed millions in bribes had been paid in the Dominican Republic for the company to secure contract work.

The list of cost overruns reported in El Dia is:
Pinalito Hydroelectric Dam. Original 2004 US$131.7M – final cost 2009 US$300M.
Palomino Hydroelectric Dam. Original 2006 US$225M – final cost 2012 US$400M.
Duarte I Corridor. 2009 US$163.9M – final cost 2012 US$204M.
Coral Highway and bridge over Chavón River: 2009 US$272.2M – final cost 2012 US$400M.
El Río-Jarabacoa road: 2010 US$71M, final cost 2012 US$100M.
Hermanas Mirabal Aqueduct: 2010 US$51.3M – final cost 2015 US$110.2M
Santiago bypass road: 2013 US$95M, final cost 2014 US$130M.

http://eldia.com.do/adendas-a-obras-...tos-iniciales/"

Now that changes payoff/benefit ratio quite a bit. The bribes don't surprise me. The fact that they are cold busted in front of the entire world and they seem to just be saying to everybody "talk to the hand" is amazing to me.

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015
I was a participant in the march in Santiago today against corruption and impunity because of the Odebrecht scandal.....in my estimation it was another successful march.....large crowds like in Santo Domingo, Puerto Plata and other places....many people are sick and tired of these politicians who have no ethics...the country is waking up....

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I was passing through before and after but not in the heat of things. I have to say by the pictures it looks like more people than at Carnival.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I was a participant in the march in Santiago today against corruption and impunity because of the Odebrecht scandal.....in my estimation it was another successful march.....large crowds like in Santo Domingo, Puerto Plata and other places....many people are sick and tired of these politicians who have no ethics...the country is waking up....

Good to hear from somebody actively involved.

An article today in Diario Libre is an interesting read and sums up some of the opinions I heard before the last election that change would not happen that election cycle but was inevitable with a growing middle class influencing politics to a greater degree going forward. I was not convinced it will happen in 2020 but that was before the Green Movement took hold.

I wonder if it is too much to ask for intelligent and thoughtful comments in relation to this article and the ongoing Odebrecht scandal investigations.

http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias...trol-de-protestas-contra-corrupcion-MC6675934

translated....

SANTO DOMINGO. The middle class has been empowered and given an ultimatum to the Dominican political system to take actions or matches are threatened with extinction, said experts consulted.
Political scientist Freddy Angel Castro recalled that in the country of middle-class people have been the actors of the great changes.
He argued that the middle class was an agent of change in the Era of Trujillo, since professionals are engaged against the dictator.
"We are in the presence of an empowerment in terms of mobilisation of the middle class," said Castro.
He said that in this case, in the Dominican Republic this phenomenon will radiate its political consciousness in the popular sectors and will impact on poor households.
"To me what worries me is what is the agenda of the movement because sanctioning impunity have been raised, but I don't see a concrete approach in relation to the feasibility", emphasized.
He argued that the green movement has a point of no return, so political parties have to take the signal, or otherwise that movement will take its toll in the upcoming elections of the 2020.
He insisted that there are no conditions to play oblivion nor to cover the impunity, because already said the Brazilian Prosecutor who in June will be the records of cases of corruption.
Send a message
Iván Ogando, director of the Latin American Faculty of social sciences, program Dominican Republic (FLACSO-RD), recommended that the Government take advantage of this wave of indignation to carry out an example process, that sends a message that impunity has its limits in the country.
"Would be a mistake to see it in general as something against the Government, I think it is something that the Government should be used to take measures that may seem difficult, but this would be an element that would allow him to justify those measures," he said.
Ogando considered that the green movement continues to be a movement of legitimate civic pressure, hoping not to be handled by partisan political interests that may undermine its objectives.
"In a motion such as this there is everything, there are parties who want to ride the wave, and I don't blame them, they have to take advantage of it," he said.
"We are before an empowerment in terms of mobilisation of the middle class, which has been the agent of change"
Freddy Angel Castro
Political scientist