On a percentage scale. How many do you think.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Hablas alem?n?

...telephone company(...)
Many times it's not the "Language Barrior", but the "Intelligence Barrier"!

Whenever those phone marketing guys call us I simply ask whether they also speak English or German... ;)
Normally that's the end of it. :classic:

donP

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Bavarian Accent

Some Dominicans speak excellent French -

In tourist places you find them speaking any (tourist) language.
I know a guy who speaks German with a Bavarian accent. :classic:

It all depends where the women exported them to (for some time). :rolleyes:

The 'deportados' speak the worst "English", probably a mixture of Bronx and prison talk.

donP

donP

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Most people in the DR these days are interested in becoming fluent in English and other languages. A second language has become an important skill, just like knowing how to use a computer.

The problem is that we're in the times of the instant results. People want to be bilingual in 3 months and with the least effort possible. This is why there are language centers making big bucks out of scamming people.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I think the French Language is dead or dying, the French has lost all respect and influence on the world stage. They have an inferiority complex and usually have to resort to petty insults like the op above. I would never stoop to that level :)

I travel extensively throughout the world for work, everywhere I go, people speak ENGLISH not French.
At least among Dominican lawyers, French is quite widespread, but that could be because its a required language for anyone that wants to graduate with a degree in Derecho. At least, that's what people say... :cool:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think the French Language is dead or dying, the French has lost all respect and influence on the world stage. They have an inferiority complex and usually have to resort to petty insults like the op above. I would never stoop to that level :)

I travel extensively throughout the world for work, everywhere I go, people speak ENGLISH not French.

French WAS the Int'l language but either English or Spanish is eclipsing it -- I read somewhere===

Can anyone verify this ??

Yes, Your wife will be able to exist, but needs a bit of Spanish to live,,, if you understand me

turksman

Mar 14, 2005
in tourist places you find them speaking any (tourist) language.
I know a guy who speaks german with a bavarian accent. :classic:

It all depends where the women exported them to (for some time). :rolleyes:

The 'deportados' speak the worst "english", probably a mixture of bronx and prison talk.

Donp

donp

lol :d

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
French WAS the Int'l language but either English or Spanish is eclipsing it -- I read somewhere===

Can anyone verify this ??

Yes, Your wife will be able to exist, but needs a bit of Spanish to live,,, if you understand me

French used to be the common language on the continent. After the Germans changed the geography it was English and Russian. I think English has the advantage now
French is still very popular in France half of Canada one quarter of Algiers and part of Fiji.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Derfish;1141609. I haven't met one who is even literate in his her own language saying nothing about being conversive in a foreign language. QUOTE said:
But isn't this common? I mean, you study English for years and think that native speakers will write and speak proper English but then you realize that many actually struggle or are not even literate in their own language.

By the way, not being literate in a language doesn't mean you wouldn't be able to learn to communicate in another one.

Dec 26, 2011
But isn't this common? I mean, you study English for years and think that native speakers will write and speak proper English but then you realize that many actually struggle or are not even literate in their own language.

By the way, not being literate in a language doesn't mean you wouldn't be able to learn to communicate in another one.

This is an important point. The best thing one can do facilitate learning a foreign language is to gain mastery over one's native tongue. Your second point is also true, but in keeping with the first thought, the level of reading comprehension and vocabulary achieved in one's first language sets the bar for any other other languages attempted.

Dec 26, 2011
I knew a Haitian in Miami who claimed he could speak 5 languages, I know his English was good and his Spanish, but have no proof of the others, but when I paid him weekly he signed his check with a double crossed X since he couldn't sign his name.
Der Fish

I don't doubt that he "spoke" five languages. But I'll bet he spoke all of them at a similar level of mastery. If he can't proficiently write the language of his childhood, he probably didn't go on to learn how to write another. There are undoubtedly some rare exceptions to this rule, but it seems to hold true for most.

Zulu

May 27, 2012
French was thee International or Diplomatic language and as reminder check your passports it will say Laisse Passe/Passport. Living in Israel during my childhood my Jewish friends all spoke Arabic when i asked how come they replied "It is always good to know your enemies/ neighbors language because you never know what they are plotting against you." I think Chinese will be the Business language in the future and Spanish will be spoken in 1/5 households in North America within the next 10 years.

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
A few can hold a basic "small talk" conversation,BUT, wait until you go to the water company,electric company,telephone company, bank,you are in for some fun!
Most really "Don't Get It" here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

CC,

You are exhibiting symptoms of lacuna. Please let me help you finish this post....

Most really "Don't Get It" here!!!!, in PR, in the Caribbean (in general), South, Central America and would you even believe, the US.

Most people lack an education in most of the above mentioned countries. Most times not having an education prevents one from exercising good judgment.

To add fuel to the flame, most jobs in our beloved Latin American countries are given to people not necessarily because of their merits.

Expecting to find the best and brightest people in government jobs in our countries, is a "no no". :chinese:

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
This is an important point. The best thing one can do facilitate learning a foreign language is to gain mastery over one's native tongue. Your second point is also true, but in keeping with the first thought, the level of reading comprehension and vocabulary achieved in one's first language sets the bar for any other other languages attempted.

Due to personal experience, I am in complete disagreement with this entire statement.

I left DR at 16 years of age. I finished HS in the states and went on to college.

I could honestly tell you that I communicate more effectively in English than I do in my mother tongue.
I started writing Spanish again in this forum.

If I were to read Spanish HS and College material, I would be guessing at a lot of sophisticated words.

I am trying to say that I could communicate at a higher level in English more than I could in Spanish. :chinese:

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Why would anybody want to live in a Spanish speaking country, and expect to be understood perfectly in English?

I never got that...

I saw British or American expats in Belgium and France, living there for 20+ years, and still going to the bakery and having to point out the loaf they wanted... If the baker would not understand them, they thought they could solve it by yelling it a bit louder in English.

Same here in the DR. I am the first to admit I still have a lot to learn in order to speak fluent Spanish, but after 3 years I can hold a conversation (with all the mistakes I am making...), I can order whatever I want from the carneceria, I can go and complain to Edenorte, Claro, Orange, etc... (not that it helps much, but anyway...), and I can lead a normal life.

I have met expats here, who after 10 years+ still have to ask me what pork is in Spanish, or what a pound is...

Sad, very sad...

You do not have to take courses necessarily, but if you are willing, and set your mind to it... you should pick up things as they come...

BelgianK

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
A few can hold a basic "small talk" conversation,BUT, wait until you go to the water company,electric company,telephone company, bank,you are in for some fun!
Most really "Don't Get It" here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Ya gotta love CCCCCCCCCCCCCC. And he is correct. When in a situation of "my bill ain't right"... NO ONE speaks English.

But I have to agree with post #2 that Jeepito made also. When I'm in Santo Domingo and I'm TRYING to use my Spanish... I am quickly but nicely told that they speak English. BETWEEN THAT AND MY WIFE HELPING... NO WONDER I CAN NOT LEARN THE DOMINICAN SPANISH. LOL.

If you have a driver and a helper, try to find one that speaks English. When I'm out, without my wife, I take my main man that has BASIC English skills but knows what I want along to help make my deals. Works great.

So finding the right help that will work for you and with you and you/she is set while learning can be a very big plus.

Last edited:

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ouZLD2vfD6Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>..............

Way to go Bronxboy.... but let's keep it in contex... kintics... conded tix. Never mind.

Can I have another please?

Last edited:

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
I would say 10% absolute max. The higher the social class the more likely one speaks English. K

turksman

Mar 14, 2005
Why would anybody want to live in a Spanish speaking country, and expect to be understood perfectly in English?

I never got that...

I saw British or American expats in Belgium and France, living there for 20+ years, and still going to the bakery and having to point out the loaf they wanted... If the baker would not understand them, they thought they could solve it by yelling it a bit louder in English.

Same here in the DR. I am the first to admit I still have a lot to learn in order to speak fluent Spanish, but after 3 years I can hold a conversation (with all the mistakes I am making...), I can order whatever I want from the carneceria, I can go and complain to Edenorte, Claro, Orange, etc... (not that it helps much, but anyway...), and I can lead a normal life.

I have met expats here, who after 10 years+ still have to ask me what pork is in Spanish, or what a pound is...

Sad, very sad...

You do not have to take courses necessarily, but if you are willing, and set your mind to it... you should pick up things as they come...

BelgianK

I understand what you are saying my friend, I speak almost fluent Spanish with a Dominican accent having been married to a Dominican before :) actually because of my complexion and appearance Dominicans actually don't believe me when I tell them I'm not Dominican! It's my fiancee who can't speak the language that will have to spend a week or so by herself from time to time that I am inquiring for.