Only 6% of Dominican fathers get involved in raising their children

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
6%? Really?
I wonder who taught these guys Dominican math?
I watched those NGO's (conman, scam artist and hustlers)
run the same type of scams while living in south east asia.
Complete bullsh*t. You can bet at some point in the near
future this same group or close affilate will be using these
"statistics" to help source their "funding" (pay for their jeepetas,
western style apartments and expensive meals)

That was my initial reaction to this. and I'll toss in my usual comment about statistics: 86.7 % of all statistics are made up on the spot!
Der Fish

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
In the DR family and extended family is a big thing. I would suggest that families spend
more time together in the DR than households in North AMerica where two people are working and very tired.

At school parent meetings mostly woman are there , however I am not sure that is so different than it was in North AMerica in the 50s and 60s

I smell a bullsh** report to get money

maybe i am missing something here, so please explain how such a report would get money. i mean, the malaise which has been reported upon cannot be rectified by money, so how does that work?

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Way to much time on your hands.... this is like the seniors sitting in the back of Dunkin Donuts debating everything...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Way to much time on your hands.... this is like the seniors sitting in the back of Dunkin Donuts debating everything...

easy fix, dude. dont read it. there are millions of better pursuits in life than reading comments on a forum..

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
so i guess that your anecdotal situation debunks the findings of the UNCF, then. i mean, the country has 10 million people. approximately 2 million will be school children. you can speak for 500 of that 2 million. i guess you know that by statistical sampling, that number is what is considered to be too insignificant to be considered..

Sample size of 500 for a population of 2,000,000 is fine. 95% confidence, +/-5% (even less would be fine). 

What would make the sample not so useful is the sample selection: all come from a certain region (Jarabacoa) and certain class, income level, maybe even religion, etc. so yes, the results of Bob's school don't say that much about the whole country, but the size of 500 is more than fine for a statistically correct sample. 

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Sample size of 500 for a population of 2,000,000 is fine. 95% confidence, +/-5% (even less would be fine). 

What would make the sample not so useful is the sample selection: all come from a certain region (Jarabacoa) and certain class, income level, maybe even religion, etc. so yes, the results of Bob's school don't say that much about the whole country, but the size of 500 is more than fine for a statistically correct sample. 

thank you for what you have contributed to the discussion, Mauricio. i was less than satisfactory in referring to the qualities of the sample, insofar as i did not make mention of the fact that it only addressed one particular region, and class stratum.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

All live in Jarabacoa but all are not from Jarabacoa, all are not the same religion, and certainly not the same income or level of education either. UNCEF didn't take a very large sample either.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
A word that seems to be traveling at light speed through the forums over the last year or so is, hypocrisy. Hypocrisy.
I find some hypocrisy within this thread, when some of those that are quick to analyze the UNICEF study, and critique and condemn the structure of the Dominican family module, are themselves guilty of what they are attempting to analyze. Yes, hypocrisy.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Funny thread

Lamentablemente, sólo el 6.4% de los niños y niñas de 3 y 4 años del país ha interactuado con su padre biológico en actividades como leer, contar cuentos, cantar, pasear, jugar o dibujar, que promueven un buen desarrollo de la infancia.

Many things are debated and discussed which are far from the original stats ie Bob are you running a daycare ? :lick:

In any case, there must some truth to it because even in the first world leer, contar cuentos, cantar, pasear, jugar o dibujar with young children are traditionally done by the mom. Even in well to do area in the 1st world, there is a disproportionate of educated stay at home mom who logically have more time to do these things (not that the father is not involved, but in other things), I know 1 stay at home dad. Gender roles are not a thing of a past anywhere, but c'est la vie, nothing's wrong, as long as the job is done.

I don't think anything wrong with this study. What wrong can it bring to any country for the matter if father spend more time leer, contar cuentos, cantar, pasear, jugar o dibujar ?

Last edited:

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
The link I posted in #5 is to a summary of the results of the survey. The summary does not talk about methodology, sample size, etc. On the first page the summary, it says for more information about the analysis and maybe the whole final report go the UNICEF web site mics.unicef.org.

"Para obtener más información sobre los indicadores y el análisis realizado en el informe final completo, puede visitar mics.unicef.org."

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
All live in Jarabacoa but all are not from Jarabacoa, all are not the same religion, and certainly not the same income or level of education either. UNCEF didn't take a very large sample either.

I think your quick sample gives a good idea of the nonsense results of 6%. Currently I'm (temporarily) in over my head , with my wife, running the family owned school of 600 students. And I'm sure we can find more than 40 students whose father is present. I also know that this school is not representative for a whole country but it does give an idea....and again a sample of 500 is enough to make conclusions for a population of 2,000,000 (if the sample is representative).

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
Funny thread

Lamentablemente, sólo el 6.4% de los niños y niñas de 3 y 4 años del país ha interactuado con su padre biológico en actividades como leer, contar cuentos, cantar, pasear, jugar o dibujar, que promueven un buen desarrollo de la infancia.

Many things are debated and discussed which are far from the original stats ie Bob are you running a daycare ? :lick:

In any case, there must some truth to it because even in the first world leer, contar cuentos, cantar, pasear, jugar o dibujar with young children are traditionally done by the mom. Even in well to do area in the 1st world, there is a disproportionate of educated stay at home mom who logically have more time to do these things (not that the father is not involved, but in other things), I know 1 stay at home dad. Gender roles are not a thing of a past anywhere, but c'est la vie, nothing's wrong, as long as the job is done.

I don't think anything wrong with this study. What wrong can it bring to any country for the matter if father spend more time leer, contar cuentos, cantar, pasear, jugar o dibujar ?

Well, I did my own random sampling with 10 random DR families that I know of and 9 out of 10 seem to agree with the UNICEF findings. But what the heck. Life goes on and there is always room for improvement. A lot has to do with gender roles and cultural norms as far as I am concerned which doesn't mean that the father doesn't care or that the mother cares more than the father. I agree as you said. C'est la vie.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
First time here I worked for one of the big 4 auditor companies (then big 5). One of my responsibilities was preparing the quarterly Consumer Confidence Index for Dominican Republic. I'm not an explorer in statistics and neither was there a local expert in the company but some expert from England helped us out making the correct samples, including requieres sample size for a population of 5,000,000 or 6,000,000 (don't recall the exact population size used), which was 1100-1200 surveys.

If you want 99% confidence and an interval of 2% your required sample grows exponentially, but 95% confidence and a +/-5% interval, the required size is between 350 and 400.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
First of all, more than 40% of households are headed by women (ONE). Based on personal observation, a lot of parents across all social classes, and not just dads, tend to leave children to their own devices. And a significant proportion of middle class and rich kids spend more time with nannies than with either parents.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Funny thread

Prekinder to Grade six. Approximately 900 students.

Buzz65

Jul 13, 2017
Who's your daddy?

Couldn't help that. But everyone is thinking it.

But seriously, how much of these stats are skewed because there are so many fatherless children? Or many fathers with multiple children from different moms? One guy spends 6% of his time with 4 children with different moms, that will take 100% of his time.

This is a cultural issue, not a right or wrong issue. IMHO