Opportunity to see real Dominican Culture

Status
Not open for further replies.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i guess what makes difference to homeowners in florida versus DR is that 911 works a lot better in the states. so in case of problems help is at hand. without the need to pass the bribe to the police or pay for the petrol of an ambulance.

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
what i meant with the nayayers, was, to stick to rfp's Florida move example:
** a negative or not well informed person would see Florida according to such article Gangs continue to grow, cause problems in central Florida | www.wftv.com
a positive person researching a state/area/country would see the big differences of different regions/locations, and fins easily that the sunny state has beautiful and safe residencial areas to offer.
the same for the DR. you can look up crime videos and articles of some areas, specially when looking on the huge barrios of bigger cities, but simple research will also produce areas as safe as a residency could be anywhere else.
I do not deny crime or what so ever, but i refuse to accept single articles/ocurrances to be representative for any area/region/country over all and of course such shows nothing about any cultural value.

Mike

A positive person would learn basic spelling and grammar.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
An intelligent person wouldn't care about other posters,...."spell'n & grahmner"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"PETTY"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
A positive person would learn basic spelling and grammar.

When you can write an understandable post in German, Mike's native language, you have room to talk. Mike speaks at least three languages. How about you?

Otherwise, I agree with CCC's post.

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
When you can write an understandable post in German, Mike's native language, you have room to talk. Mike speaks at least three languages. How about you?

Otherwise, I agree with CCC's post.

OK, I need to retract then, no sarcasm. I thought he was an American. I'll edit out the post.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
thank you, DRDone.
i take it as a big compliment that a native english speaker count's my 4th Language english as i would be an american.
i never been any good in school with it nor did i care about those additional lessons other than that i was obliged to pass, lol.
tells a lot about some(one)bordmembers mother language level, hehe.
o.k., fun time over, without fun the bord would not be worth to spend time on.
yes, when a homeowner in florida calls 911 he may get right away on time help, a big advantage 1st world countries have over a uper class 3rd world caribbean island. but such we knew loooong before decided to move out of the safe defines of mommy's 4 homewalls. and for such services we pay at 1st world countries monthly more in taxes than we do in 10 years on a caribbean island, in case the complainers pay any income taxes here on the island at all in the first place.
you always get what you pay for.

Mike

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Don't forget that 18% ITEBIS TAXES WE PAY HERE ON ALMOST everything, and a huge gasoline tax, (I KNOW, not compared to Europe) but here we get "NADA" in return!!!

When I worked here we started to have to pay income tax to the gov.
Mine was 6,000 pesos a month.
They just gave ma a 6,000 peso a month vehicle allowance!
The DR tax system is regressive.
The poor pay a big % of their income.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
just run into this one, sure there are many this time of the year:
Cop Breaks Up Spring Break Brawl, Body Slams Drunk Beachgoer
it shows the typical springtime culture of Florida,
it shows where all those zillions of education monies go/what they produce.
Dominicans are not any better, but they don't need to be ashamed about a thing neither, compared to the big brother breed.

Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Don't forget that 18% ITEBIS TAXES WE PAY HERE ON ALMOST everything, and a huge gasoline tax, (I KNOW, not compared to Europe) but here we get "NADA" in return!!!

When I worked here we started to have to pay income tax to the gov.
Mine was 6,000 pesos a month.
They just gave ma a 6,000 peso a month vehicle allowance!
The DR tax system is regressive.
The poor pay a big % of their income.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

you cant compare the 18% ITBIS paid on products and services, to the tax system of a 1st world country.
in germany, as a unmarried single without debts and no children of any kind, I paid 53% of my brutto income as Taxes/Social Security/gov medicare etc, obligatory, you did not have any choice to cover such yourself or such. and in addition to that we paid the high taxes on fuels, cigs, every purchased product, every used service.
was it worth it?
YES, of course it was and still is.
I could and still can use every single medic facility in the country and are fully covered, i never had to worry about a single pothole not even on the sideroads of the Campo where i grew up, and could ride on top highways without any speedlimit existing, i had even on the campo a paramedic at the doorstep within a maximum of 5 minutes after the 110/112 call(old emergency numbers in germany back in the day), usually they arrived even quicker. people who lost their job been covered etc etc etc.
but we all know that between 1st and 2nd/3rd world, there are several worlds of a difference, it is very different worlds and it makes no sense to compare.
todays the 1st world struggles a lot to keep up with their services, to provide to my generation what we paid for all those years(just think Pensions, or the significant downgrade changes on the medical sector etc), to expect anything just close to such old time thingies form the 1st world, for a caribbean island, well, who expects such should go with all his/her research back to step one and start all over again to find out that there are some things a lil bit different here than there.
you get what you paid for.

Mike

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Just imagine if the guys were BLACK!
"Al & Jessie" would be leading the looters in protest.

'Police Brutally attack two unarmed black youth"!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
CCCCCCCCCC,
have to agree, todays it is sadly soooo common to twist things that way in the media.
as for the Cop in the particular video, from my side by my opinion/view, congratulations on a job well done.
in case those stoned/drunk kiddies have younger bro's or sis's, then "Hey Parents, try to change some things along the line with 'em, to hopefully bring up a different generation with 'em".

Mike

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"BAD BEHAVIOR,....is BAD BEHAVIOR", NO MATTER THE RACE, CREED, COLOR, NATIONAL ORIGIN,...or SEXUAL PREFERENCE"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"BOOK E'm ALL Danno"!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Dont even try and compare !! The kids in the spring break video would have 3 kids by now if they grew up in a barrio in the RD. To compare them to the promiscuous, disease infested, drug riddled world of the Dominican underclass (65 % of the population) is laughable. You can not defend the indefensible and that is why I avoid the shame of identifying myself as a Dominican.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
what culture??? what is their culture??? oh underage mothers....poverty....no jobs...no industry...:classic:

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
10363800_10205138772562359_5703619460278451170_n.jpg

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
chic.
rfp shows his opinion/take on his birthcountry, he does not like it and acts accordingly by moving to Florida.
while i do not have the same opinion about this country, of course i respect his take on things and as a dominican he has every right to complain about his birthcountry.
but why do you visit or stay? just to complain to shout something out loud, that's not worth a thing then.
if you hate it so much, there are a couple hundred of other countries to choose from, and many of them provide a similar warm comfy climate.

Mike

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Hey if you keep your standards low for the rest of your life and are content with fool's gold then this place is great. It has served our family well the last few years,to a point. But let's be real, the place offers very little other than having cheap labor and nice beaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.