Overall Stats on Dominicans in the United States

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
not arguing your point..
question only arises

why to allow such needy immigrants into the USA?

which is now the world's largest debtor nation

Why to allow in immigrants who cannot speak English?
Why to allow in immigrants over working age?
Why to allow in immigrants from a country whose immigrants have SO "overused" the "welfare" system

When - according to stringent research conducted - most of them are sending money home to their own families, putting it aside for their own retirements back in their own countries?

Why are my tax dollars paying for that?

just doing the devil's advocate stuff here...

At the time the "current" system was put in place (Hart-Celler act, 1965, which substituted the system that were in place since 1924 that only allowed Euros) the aim was to win the Cold War against the Soviet Union by wooing the Third World into the US metropolis (or at least the most troublesome elements that were giving pain to the friendly regimes). As you can surmise by the year it was enacted, the DR was among the first countries to benefit from this reform, since it allowed the counterrevolution that won that year's civil war to send the potentially rebellious elements from the losing side to the US.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Yes, you posted this exactly where it belongs. 

As far as immigrants collecting government benefits........When we sponsored my in-laws, we had to sign an affidavit promising to repay the US government if any of them collected a cent. I was relieved when one became a citizen, and the others turned in their residency for 10 year visa. 

I'd bet that no one has ever actually been made to pay back benefits their relatives collected. If they actually followed the law and did that, it would go a long way in discouraging the practice. People wouldn't be so eager to sponsor. 

Agree... however enforcement of the law varies state to state. For example with medical care. When trying to qualify for emergency Medicaid due to illness/hospitalization, the Medicaid application will ask for the name of the person's "sponsor" if they are a LPR. Most will not give the name and most states will process the application without it. The law exists but it is rarely ever enforced. I have seen some of my spouses extended family take advantage of the state programs. It always amazed me how "stupid" the government can be at times. I know there are some that truly need the assistance but there a lot more that abuse the law. There are many that collect welfare, etc...and work and get paid "under the table". Some may not speak or understand a word of English but for some reason they have the welfare system process down pat. It is a fact. Again not everyone does this but enough do.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Some may not speak or understand a word of English but for some reason they have the welfare system process down pat. It is a fact. Again not everyone does this but enough do.

There is staff that speaks Spanish in the offices with a significant Hispanic population. Not sure it is true, but I heard they even have "connect" in these offices.

I know there are some that truly need the assistance but there a lot more that abuse the law.

How do you know that ?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
At the time the "current" system was put in place (Hart-Celler act, 1965, which substituted the system that were in place since 1924 that only allowed Euros) the aim was to win the Cold War against the Soviet Union by wooing the Third World into the US metropolis (or at least the most troublesome elements that were giving pain to the friendly regimes). As you can surmise by the year it was enacted, the DR was among the first countries to benefit from this reform, since it allowed the counterrevolution that won that year's civil war to send the potentially rebellious elements from the losing side to the US.

good point! i have not been studying this for long

but i think that also . in 1974.. there were amendments that made the immigration basically more "multicultural" -- again i am sure it was a cold war issue.. trying to win hearts and minds.. now there are issues inside the US with many doctors from the developing world - who are evidently the primary care givers in the public health system - due perhaps to US AMA keeping entry into US medical schools limited and requirements high... etc.. etc.. etc..

anyway.. i suspect that big changes will come in the next two years..

because two years is all that the GOP has for sure... and they are pretty stumped on health care but they can tackle this one.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Real Change by Trump

http://us.pressfrom.com/news/us/-28...s-discover-new-freedom-to-deport-under-trump/

Immigration agents discover new freedom to deport under Trump
02:20 26 february 2017 Source: The New York Times
Trump immigration raids target fewer criminals
Trump immigration raids target fewer criminals The first major immigration raid under President Trump shows a clear shift in the federal government's deportation strategy, targeting fewer undocumented immigrants with criminal records than under President Obama. Of 678 people rounded up in 12 states during raids last week, 74% had been convicted of a crime. That is down from 90% of detained people with criminal records in 2016 under Obama, according to a USA TODAY analysis of more than a dozen federal raids. For example, during a June 2016 raid conducted in six Midwestern states, 85% of the 324 people arrested had been convicted of crimes. During a raid in those same six states last week, 69% had criminal records. The increase in arrests of those without criminal records does not appear to be consistent with Trump's promise after his election to use Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents to target murderers, rapists and other "bad hombres" who pose serious threats to public safety. Obama had taken a similar stance by focusing on criminal offenders. After 18 raids in 2016, ICE issued summaries noting that all the undocumented immigrants arrested were "enforcement priorities" who included convicted criminals, gang members, threats to national security, those who recently crossed the border and people with standing deportation orders. In summaries of each of the five coordinated raids conducted last week, however, ICE explained it was taking a new course of action.
I.C.E. has more than 20,000 employees, spread across 400 offices in the United States and 46 countries.© Clockwise from top left: Ann Johansson for The New York Times; David Maung/Bloomberg; John Moore/Get... I.C.E. has more than 20,000 employees, spread across 400 offices in the United States and 46 countries.
In Virginia, Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents waited outside a church shelter where undocumented immigrants had gone to stay warm. In Texas and in Colorado, agents went into courthouses, looking for foreigners who had arrived for hearings on other matters.

At Kennedy International Airport in New York, passengers arriving after a five-hour flight from San Francisco were asked to show their documents before they were allowed to get off the plane.
DHS Memos Reveal Possible Reach of Immigration Order
DHS Memos Reveal Possible Reach of Immigration Order Two memos written by the Department of Homeland Security would expand federal authorities' powers to detain and deport undocumented immigrants.Obtained by NBC News, the new directives signed by Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly provide greater detail about two of President Donald Trump's executive orders relating to his campaign promises of building a border wall with Mexico and increasing deportation efforts.
The Trump administration’s far-reaching plan to arrest and deport vast numbers of undocumented immigrants has been introduced in dramatic fashion over the past month. And much of that task has fallen to thousands of ICE officers who are newly emboldened, newly empowered and already getting to work.

Gone are the Obama-era rules that required them to focus only on serious criminals. In Southern California, in one of the first major roundups during the Trump administration, officers detained 161 people with a wide range of felony and misdemeanor convictions, and 10 who had no criminal history at all.

“Before, we used to be told, ‘You can’t arrest those people,’ and we’d be disciplined for being insubordinate if we did,” said a 10-year veteran of the agency who took part in the operation. “Now those people are priorities again. And there are a lot of them here.”

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
good point! i have not been studying this for long

but i think that also . in 1974.. there were amendments that made the immigration basically more "multicultural" -- again i am sure it was a cold war issue.. trying to win hearts and minds.. now there are issues inside the US with many doctors from the developing world - who are evidently the primary care givers in the public health system - due perhaps to US AMA keeping entry into US medical schools limited and requirements high... etc.. etc.. etc..

anyway.. i suspect that big changes will come in the next two years..

because two years is all that the GOP has for sure... and they are pretty stumped on health care but they can tackle this one.

One of the reasons that explains why Balaguer and the PRD escaped the fate of the Central American and South American countries (as in, facing insurgencies left and right), was the fact that the US granted so large an amount of visas for the regimes to use as a way to get rid of troublesome elements without having to resort to mass executions (even though the Balaguer regime and the CIA ended up using that anyway). Much of the current prosperity of the town of San Francisco de Macoris and even Moca can be traced to the wealth brought about by these deportees when the time to retire to the DR came about. Like NATO, the visa quota system is one of those things hailing from the Cold War era that are in much need of a revamp, if not a complete scrapping altogether.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
why bother to ask Trump? Ask Bannon. Ask Pence. Ask Ryan. Ask Sessions. Ask Putin. Ask deVos.

Ask the Guys at CStreet..

Trump just runs the Twitterfeed
so sad

There is really no need to ask. ICE is already empowered to deport ALL illegal aliens, is already doing so, and I suspect the pace of deportations will accelerate.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
There is really no need to ask. ICE is already empowered to deport ALL illegal aliens, is already doing so, and I suspect the pace of deportations will accelerate.

My understanding is that they have to go to court? No? they have to be held and go to court and then be issued an order of deportation. There is a backlog in the courts. I think I posted that link.

yup.. court.. but they will most likely start building more detention centers.. http://cis.org/deportation-basics

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My understanding is that they have to go to court? No? they have to be held and go to court and then be issued an order of deportation. There is a backlog in the courts. I think I posted that link.

yup.. court.. but they will most likely start building more detention centers.. http://cis.org/deportation-basics

Uhm,,, NO! From your link:

The Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) provides for several types of due process for aliens, depending on their circumstances of arrival and stay. The law does not require that all removals be ordered by an immigration judge.

Aliens who have entered and remain in the United States illegally are, understandably, accorded the least amount of due process.

I suspect Illegal Aliens have little in the way of due process. As I read the above, illegal aliens would have the least due process and hence would not have a hearing by a judge. Bye, Bye Mickey Mouse.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
"How do you know that"?

Comment is not meant to be "Dominican" directed (although I realize thread is about Dominican immigrants). Many abuse the welfare programs. Spent a few years processing Medicaid applications (medical) and the statistics for program abuse were overwhelming (we had to attend fun(not) seminars on fraud). However the welfare system played a role in this by their "lack of enforcement and/or follow through on applications". Yes I myself have heard of these "connects" in the offices. Usually the "connects" helped push a application through. There is a 5 year rule for the welfare program, LPR must have LPR status for 5 years before they can apply for Medicaid/Welfare (does not include emergency Medicaid). However the law still exists regarding sponsor responsibility.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
There is staff that speaks Spanish in the offices with a significant Hispanic population. Not sure it is true, but I heard they even have "connect" in these offices.

How do you know that ?

I know several Dominican families who openly share that the wife and kids are on welfare, says don't know where husband is, while husband is living right there and working off the books

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Nope.. the Trump team is after a complete change in immigration policy... listen to Sessions..EVERY legal is gonna be at risk for deportation.. for a traffic violation...

This is supposition on your part. Legal immigrants that commit no illegal acts are going to be perfectly safe.

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015
Nope.. the Trump team is after a complete change in immigration policy... listen to Sessions..EVERY legal is gonna be at risk for deportation.. for a traffic violation...

It's not just the Trump team who want a complete change. Many of the changes for the deportation of people who committed an aggravated felony were put in place long before the guy with the orange hair took over, but in general no complaints in those times.

Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965 (aggravated felonies added on 1988)
Antiterrorism and Effective Death Penalty Act of 1996 (AEDPA)
Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 (IIRIRA)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If a "legal" resident (LPR/Green Card holder) commits a violation of sufficient severity under the law that potentially changes their status, it could indeed change their status to illegal and they could be deported. The rule of law finally being enforced is how I see this.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005

Yes, more detention centers, The jail system in the US is a big business and they need plenty of customers to satisfy the demand. It is very suspicious that the minority in US jails is the majority.

The so called "Hispanic" and "African American" are the perfect victim to satisfy the jail market within the US. There are criminals in every group, but when it comes to who end up filling up the jail, it is very suspicious that it is not by design.

Does anybody know about any jail Reits? it would be a good investment.

Jan 9, 2004

Not necessarily. Lots of those targeted already have been through the courts and have orders of deportation already issued. Still others qualify for "expedited removal".... under the law that made President Obama the "deporter in chief." Plenty to keep immigration busy for the foreseeable future.....even after adding an additional 5,000-10,000 immigration agents.

Illegal Dominicans, unless they are convicted criminals for felony offenses and/or are already under orders of deportation....are likely a very low priority.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited: