Oxfam Sex Scandal in Haiti

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
To me this is no news at all. There are prostitutes who make themselves available to foreigners in Haiti? That's hardly news - half the prostitutes in the DR come from Haiti. The girls who do this do so with the full knowledge of boyfriends, husbands and often families. The girls are not exploited, they are delighted to earn the money. There is terrible unemployment in Haiti and this is one way a girl can earn money to feed the inevitable children. And in the articles I have read, nowhere do I see that there is any evidence of underage girls being involved - just the word that it is a possibility. Hardly enough to call anyone guilty.

I remember talking with a Haitian friend about this practice - when the scandal of the UN troops and the underage boys broke  years ago - and she said that most certainly there would be underage girls if the men wanted underage girls because the girls were so broke that they would do anything for money.

there is a prominent Dominican musician who promotes Haitian music and per a good friend of mine who knows him and knows the Haitians in the DR involved - also accepts "sexual favors" from young Haitian girls while "out of the road. He also pays the musicians sound $10 a day while publicly collecting awards for the promotion of Haitian culture. He used to live in my building. I told him once that I knew how much he paid the Haitian musicians in the field and did not want to talk to him any more. 

There was a man who was contracted by a very big international NGO after the earthquake in Haiti. He took the opportunity to set up a date with a hooker. When he got to the designated assignation, he was kidnapped and held for ransom.

Sex tourism is a fact of life https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_tourism 

There are countries - such as Costa Rica - where the sex workers are protected by the government, given safe working environments, regular health check ups, retirement benefits, police protection.

I suppose that it is up to every participant to decide if s/he is engaged in exploitation or fair commerce when exchanging sex for money.

But - I do find it a bit odd that it seems that so few here would "get it" that it is inappropriate for an aid worker to engage in the practice... but then again - I did not understand that so many men agreed that Bill Clinton had NOT indeed had sex with that woman.

Two universes that evidently very rarely intersect.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I remember talking with a Haitian friend about this practice - when the scandal of the UN troops and the underage boys broke  years ago - and she said that most certainly there would be underage girls if the men wanted underage girls because the girls were so broke that they would do anything for money.

there is a prominent Dominican musician who promotes Haitian music and per a good friend of mine who knows him and knows the Haitians in the DR involved - also accepts "sexual favors" from young Haitian girls while "out of the road. He also pays the musicians sound $10 a day while publicly collecting awards for the promotion of Haitian culture. He used to live in my building. I told him once that I knew how much he paid the Haitian musicians in the field and did not want to talk to him any more. 

There was a man who was contracted by a very big international NGO after the earthquake in Haiti. He took the opportunity to set up a date with a hooker. When he got to the designated assignation, he was kidnapped and held for ransom.

Sex tourism is a fact of life https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_tourism 

There are countries - such as Costa Rica - where the sex workers are protected by the government, given safe working environments, regular health check ups, retirement benefits, police protection.

I suppose that it is up to every participant to decide if s/he is engaged in exploitation or fair commerce when exchanging sex for money.

But - I do find it a bit odd that it seems that so few here would "get it" that it is inappropriate for an aid worker to engage in the practice... but then again - I did not understand that so many men agreed that Bill Clinton had NOT indeed had sex with that woman.

Two universes that evidently very rarely intersect.

MA...10 dollars per day is good money...relatively speaking. i know a young lady who works with a major hotel operation in POP, who earns 200 dollars per month. that is regular fare. she is no dishwasher, either. she is fully fluent in english, so, at a minimum, she has some schooling.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
MA...10 dollars per day is good money...relatively speaking. i know a young lady who works with a major hotel operation in POP, who earns 200 dollars per month. that is regular fare. she is no dishwasher, either. she is fully fluent in english, so, at a minimum, she has some schooling.

$10 a day is good money if it is wages - earned every day. What my friend considered a scandal was that this Dominican was getting substantial grant money for putting on shows - for doing "RaRas" or "GaGa" presentations around Carnival - co opting Haitian culture - in his opion - and paying the Haitians - or the Haitian Dominicans - the least possible amount for both their time and cultural contribution 

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
$10 a day is good money if it is wages - earned every day. What my friend considered a scandal was that this Dominican was getting substantial grant money for putting on shows - for doing "RaRas" or "GaGa" presentations around Carnival - co opting Haitian culture - in his opion - and paying the Haitians - or the Haitian Dominicans - the least possible amount for both their time and cultural contribution 

MA, 200 dollars per month is slavery, no matter how you slice it. then people wonder why these countries have remained in underdevelopment forever..

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
It would be an astounding event if the misdeeds on the part of female employees of worldwide NGO's were finally exposed for what they are, and always have been. Yet, there seems to be an inability or reluctance by investigative journalists to recognize and expose this particular situation, as well as the obvious double standards that exist in today's society in regards to such matters. Half of a story, is not the full story. Sanctimonious detritus.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Is it a serious issue that needs addressing and rectifying? Yes, absolutely. Not just what happened but also the way it was handled.

Is it the norm? Absolutely not (27 years of direct experience in several countries). It should not be allowed to taint all the excellent work that has been, is being, and will be done.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I remember reading here when an influx of aid arrived in Haiti...
Many workers from African postings.

The 'planning meeting' was a big affair - shrimps, wine... a party.

The main complaint was how long it was taking for their cars to arrive from Africa.

I read that here... DR1 ... as I recall

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Is it a serious issue that needs addressing and rectifying? Yes, absolutely. Not just what happened but also the way it was handled.

Is it the norm? Absolutely not (27 years of direct experience in several countries). It should not be allowed to taint all the excellent work that has been, is being, and will be done.

Is it the norm? I beg to differ with the above statement, and emphatically state yes, it unfortunately is. This insight comes from many years working directly within the United Nations, and after/currently, with various international business ventures. Take a peek into the closets of some of these employees when they return home from their feel good adventures abroad, and it would not be surprising to see the following names: Manolo Blahnik; Jimmy Choo; Walter Steiger; Alexander McQueen; Brian Atwood; Stuart Weitzman; Louis Vuitton; Gucci. Nothing will prevent avaricious persons from lining their personal coffers with ill-gotten excesses. As has been, is being, and will continue to be done.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
This particular narrative only grabs the eyeballs and attention span of many because the underscore of the story is sexual in nature. If there were no sexual citations, and the narrative was purely in regards to financials, would anybody really care? Of course not.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Caonabo said:
Is it the norm? I beg to differ with the above statement, and emphatically state yes, it unfortunately is. This insight comes from many years working directly within the United Nations, and after/currently, with various international business ventures. Take a peek into the closets of some of these employees when they return home from their feel good adventures abroad, and it would not be surprising to see the following names: Manolo Blahnik; Jimmy Choo; Walter Steiger; Alexander McQueen; Brian Atwood; Stuart Weitzman; Louis Vuitton; Gucci. Nothing will prevent avaricious persons from lining their personal coffers with ill-gotten excesses. As has been, is being, and will continue to be done.

I can't speak for the United Nations. Can you speak for Oxfam? No one I know who has worked there comes anywhere near to fitting that description. The founders included Quakers and the organisation still retains that culture of austerity and moderation. I started working at the HQ in 1991 and visited and worked in around a dozen countries, including stints in that very office from 1996-2006 - long before before it was destroyed in the earthquake. Oxfam GB has been in Haiti since the 1970s, if I'm not mistaken.

The only excess by an Oxfam staff member I was witness to, in another country, involved a manager who was abusing power - not financial or sexual - and almost everyone in the office made a complaint, which was taken seriously and dealt with.

Caonabo said:
This particular narrative only grabs the eyeballs and attention span of many because the underscore of the story is sexual in nature. If there were no sexual citations, and the narrative was purely in regards to financials, would anybody really care? Of course not.
That's what happened when they issued the 2011 statement about "gross misconduct" - most people must have assumed it was financial, which would have been bad enough ethically but it did not grab the headlines.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I place Oxfam right along with every other NGO. As I stated within a previous thread, in direct regards to these entities as outside influences and their negative effects upon Haiti:
"You may start with your choice of the so called Not-for-Profit Organizations (NFPOs), Non-governmental Organizations (NGOs), Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) and Private Voluntary Organizations (PVOs). All disgraceful ruses aimed at lining the pockets of others. For Haiti to begin to succeed, all these smokescreens need to be removed."
My reference to experience within the United Nations and it's functions was directly related to knowledge of how the above entities routinely operate, and have done so forever. Every single one of them. If our respective experiences differ, than we will simply have to agree to disagree.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You're being very civil - you two - as it should be.

May I ask a question?
I have heard that very little progress has been made in Haiti since the earthquake.
Is that true - do you know.?

The inference is that the money never got to where it should have.
As a result many of the big name donors withdrew their support - quickly
Not to mention the Clintons - was it Sean Penn ? the other big one ?
Some famous movie type

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

Is his name Dagoberto Tejeda? 

50ish or 60ish (maybe older) with very long hair and a big dark spot on his forehead above one of his eyebrows.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Does anybody venture to guess what was the annual salary and net worth of Oxfam GB's most recent former Deputy Chief Executive? Undeniably, no good deed goes unrewarded.