Paint, stain and painting stain

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I was in a meeting this morning and had trouble conveying the idea that the "stain" was applied too heavy and not wiped clean. So, is the only word for "stain" some variation of "tint"? And do you" paint "stain on wood? Or, apply it?. And how do I convey the idea that the stain must be wiped so as to have a smooth, finished, all one color appearance?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Do they even understand what you mean by stain? My experience is that most Dominicans when they think of stain are thinking of a varnish stain. It is painted on. The only true stains I've seen here a caoba stains - they come in various shades. I think the best way to explain it to them is to demonstrate it - and make sure they're buying real stain.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Do they even understand what you mean by stain? My experience is that most Dominicans when they think of stain are thinking of a varnish stain. It is painted on. The only true stains I've seen here a caoba stains - they come in various shades. I think the best way to explain it to them is to demonstrate it - and make sure they're buying real stain.
Any type of stain I've only ever hear it referred to as Barneé 😂.

Reactions: cavok

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I'm more curious who this big "meeting" was with. Across 25 years, I've been in more meetings than Lee Iacocca. Here's my take on meetings
📸 Watch this video on Facebook
You might be "curious" but you are still the biggest AH on DR1.I echo the sentiment that because of your comments that I have little desire to post to this forum. It's been a few weeks since I sent you a PM stating what I really think you should do. Three little words the begin with "Go" and end with "yourself". Have a blessed day.
SMH at "25 years I have been in more meetings...".

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
You might be "curious" but you are still the biggest AH on DR1.I echo the sentiment that because of your comments that I have little desire to post to this forum. It's been a few weeks since I sent you a PM stating what I really think you should do. Three little words the begin with "Go" and end with "yourself". Have a blessed day.
SMH at "25 years I have been in more meetings...".
I guess this means I don't qualify for one of your scholarships :cry:

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
This is the lingo forum. I didn't ask how to demonstrate. I guess you were too busy posting your laughing emotion con with the other AH.The point is stain is a tint and transparent. Paint is opaque . I can go on for hours on the subject but care not to. Now do you know the answer to my OP or are you still pissing in your pants to AH#1 post?

• Haha
Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Tell them "Tinte," like "Tinte de caoba". When they had you a can, see what it says.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
When we had our kitchen remodeled, I was checking on the cabinets and was told they just needed to be painted. Painted???!! That’s when I was educated on staining.

Reactions: johne

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
This is the lingo forum. I didn't ask how to demonstrate. I guess you were too busy posting your laughing emotion con with the other AH.The point is stain is a tint and transparent. Paint is opaque . I can go on for hours on the subject but care not to. Now do you know the answer to my OP or are you still pissing in your pants to AH#1 post?
To be honest John, I commented about the varnish first. You're the one that had the big meeting with your team on how to explain a wood stain. The meeting clip video is very funny, you have to admit. Back to the theme, stain is varnish, although misused in this case, and pronounced by the lay folk as Barneé :ROFLMAO:

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Tell them "Tinte," like "Tinte de caoba". When they had you a can, see what it says.
This is correct in that stain is transparent and is a "tint" of a color. It can be applied heavy and wiped or applied at any level as long as you wipe.. "Varnish" post by another member is TOTALLY wrong but you need to excuse him bc he knows nothing on the subject.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
This is correct in that stain is transparent and is a "tint" of a color. It can be applied heavy and wiped or applied at any level as long as you wipe.. "Varnish" post by another member is TOTALLY wrong but you need to excuse him bc he knows nothing on the subject.
I think you didn't read correctly. Let me reprint here:
["Back to the theme, stain is varnish, although misused in this case, and pronounced by the lay folk as Barneé"]
I don't mind your name calling, I understand life gets tough at 80+ Mr. E. I hope you have a merry holiday season for you and yours!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
B
I never heard tinte if it wasn't for a woman's hair. Varnish, but with the colloquial license... varneee. I have heard this used here in DR for any type of wood stain, etc, not paint.

Maybe it’s regional? South coast calls it paint. I was very upset thinking someone screwed up and my beautiful wood was being painted.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Listen up, JO. Reading comprehension is essential. Try pulling your head out of your wazoo and read my post again. Stain(tinte) is used to color the wood and bring out the grain. It comes in various shades: caoba, walnut, cherry, oak, etc. I've mostly only seen caoba here. It is wiped on.

On the other hand, most Dominicans use barniz tinte(tined varnish, not to be confused with clear varnish) which is "painted on" as in applied with a paint brush. Capisce? It also comes in various shades but is mixed with a varnish or polyurethane. Sort of a "one-step job" since if you use just a stain, you will have to apply a coat of clear varnish or polyurethane to protect it.

You seem to be one of the more clueless posters here and your level of Spanish is suspect, which is why I suggested you demonstrate what you want done and I'm including some photos below that might help you out(?). You have much to learn, grasshopper:

GetAttachmentThumbnail

GetAttachmentThumbnail

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Listen up, JO. Reading comprehension is essential. Try pulling your head out of your wazoo and read my post again. Stain(tinte) is used to color the wood and bring out the grain. It comes in various shades: caoba, walnut, cherry, oak, etc. I've mostly only seen caoba here. It is wiped on.

On the other hand, most Dominicans use barniz tinte(tined varnish, not to be confused with clear varnish) which is "painted on" as in applied with a paint brush. Capisce? It also comes in various shades but is mixed with a varnish or polyurethane. Sort of a "one-step job" since if you use just a stain, you will have to apply a coat of clear varnish or polyurethane to protect it.

You seem to be one of the more clueless posters here and your level of Spanish is suspect, which is why I suggested you demonstrate what you want done and I'm including some photos below that might help you out(?). You have much to learn, grasshopper:

GetAttachmentThumbnail

GetAttachmentThumbnail
This is good info, as I have only heard the paint folks refer to it as barnee (which I always assumed they were referring to varnish) which is clearly not an all-inclusive term. I always assumed they just called any stain or varnish barnee :ROFLMAO:

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
This is good info, as I have only heard the paint folks refer to it as barnee (which I always assumed they were referring to varnish) which is clearly not an all-inclusive term. I always assumed they just called any stain or varnish barnee :ROFLMAO:
You can see the "barnee"(barniz tinte) in the top foto above. You are correct - most paint folks refer to it as "barnee". They are not talking about pure stain. Below is a bottle of pure coba stain that I bought at Linares:

GetAttachmentThumbnail