Pay Close Attention to Your Bills Sosua!!

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
yep. even the wealthy doms don the glasses and check the bill thoroughly. i do too, everywhere. not isolated to sosua at all.
Yes and the Dominicans think every other one is a ladr?n. I have to remind myself to check my cuenta more often.
Well would you look, someone took the cork out of my lunch.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Usually, I take my own to dinner.
Only a few places charge a fee..... Papi's in Cabarete does, 300pesos*
Little place in RSJ charges 100.......sometimes*

Wine this is*

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Usually, I take my own to dinner.
Only a few places charge a fee..... Papi's in Cabarete does, 300pesos*
Little place in RSJ charges 100.......sometimes*

Wine this is*

Kind of deducted that. I haven't known anyone to charge a fee to take a Dominicana to dinner, but Willie might find a way.
When I drink the cheap stuff in the morning I feel like a midget with muddy feet had been walking over my tongue all night.

Milo Mitt

Jul 21, 2014
I do not recall myself having had any problems with inflated bills in DR. I am normally sober so maybe they try to select other "victims" or maybe it is my appearance in general, who knows.

On the odd occasion when I am out drinking, for example when I go to Cabarete on a weekend night the bill has always been correct

I always check my bill in detail regardless of my good experiences in the past.

MM

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Sometimes they spot someone to target or sometimes they feel a patron deserves it.
And they give it a whirl*

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
The waiter in the restaurant I think was a mistake with math because even the tax was miscalculated - that one I think was an honest mistake. The 2 bars I am sure was on purpose - probably because we had a lot to drink and the waiters in both instance thought they could get away with it. We always check our bills - my guy said this is very common in DR. Many waiters make their $$ this way. He always checks every bill line by line no matter where we go. I agree with posters who think it relates to alcohol. Maybe they see you drinking a lot and think you wont check which I think many people don't. Even my one girlfriend the other night admitted when the bill issue occurred said that she never checks hers! I have never had it happen in Cab - only in Sosua... and many times in the past couple of weeks which I thought was odd.

shunch

Nov 21, 2012
the odd thing is that the arithmetic errors are never in your favor

We actually had a bill short 500 pesos! Normally we'd say something but always get screwed so we figured it was our turn. [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Another trick is giving you the pre-cuenta with a mistake, in their favor, you pay and they never give you the final cuenta. Waiter changes the bill to what actually left the kitchen and keeps what you paid extra. Always ask the official bill (it has // on the bottom).

BTW, *officially restaurants aren't allowed to keep original invoices in their store, if DGII catches them with original invoices that were supposed to be given to the customer they get a fine. The reason behind that is if the original invoice
stays in the store it gives room to alter invoices in the system after customer leaves and lower the sales (and therefore the 18% itbis).*

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Another trick is giving you the pre-cuenta with a mistake, in their favor, you pay and they never give you the final cuenta. Waiter changes the bill to what actually left the kitchen and keeps what you paid extra. Always ask the official bill (it has // on the bottom).

BTW, *officially restaurants aren't allowed to keep original invoices in their store, if DGII catches them with original invoices that were supposed to be given to the customer they get a fine. The reason behind that is if the original invoice
stays in the store it gives room to alter invoices in the system after customer leaves and lower the sales (and therefore the 18% itbis).*

As Steve Martin, the circus weight guesser, in "The Jerk" - "Ah so it's a profit deal". And I am waiting for the closed down "Cup of Pizza" to re-open here in Sosua

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
After the fourth drink I'm not always any more able to check the bill. So I have the habit to pay every drink as they come.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013

Errmmm every buisness owner has a mean to alter the system up until the "monthly print out " is printed/saved/sent.
Its often the computer/machine thingy guys who teach you how to do it.

And not only in the dr.*:nervous:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
the odd thing is that the arithmetic errors are never in your favor

Not at all. I've seen it go over and under on many, many occasions. Not only in restaurants, but also Banks and other businesses.

Folks here make a lot of mistakes. I like to believe few are intentional.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Not at all. I've seen it go over and under on many, many occasions. Not only in restaurants, but also Banks and other businesses.

Folks here make a lot of mistakes. I like to believe few are intentional.

you will get no argument from me on that one. *when i attempt to buy 4 items that cost 10 pesos each, and the cashier reaches for the calculator, i shudder to think about the arithmetic without one.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Pay very close attention when paying bills at restaurants and bars around Sosua!! In the past couple of weeks I have seen 3 occasions, all in different places where the staff recorded a different total at the bottom of the bill than what the math would have added up to!

Restaurant - bill actual $1600RD approx., recorded total $2450RD!
Disco #1 - bill actual $5700RD, recorded total $6400RD!
Disco #2 - bill actual $4700, recorded total $5200RD!

Mistakes happen but this many times in such a short period?? Buyer beware and check those bills closely.

Are you sure they are not adding on the 18% tax that many legitamate places will do?

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
As a General Rule, Running a Tab for anything other than Breakfast with Coffee never ends well in the Dom Republic ..
Long time ago, a group of us in Boca Chica were once Extorted out of approx $80 for drinks we never had and padded drink prices for the rest . ( cant recall what it was in pesos, too long ago )
That should only happen once for a person to learn where and when he can trust a waiter or bartender with running a "tab".. This aint Kansas.. consider yourself lucky if it only happen to you in a town you familiar with like Sosua, and can gripe about it , in other parts of the country they will simply force you to PAY for their BAD MATH.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Errmmm every buisness owner has a mean to alter the system up until the "monthly print out " is printed/saved/sent.
Its often the computer/machine thingy guys who teach you how to do it.

And not only in the dr.*:nervous:

Yes correct, that's why dgii will punish you if you have original invoices laying around in your business since it might mean you altered the invoice and printed it again. Makes sense? No, but that's Dominican logic. On the other hand, the fiscal printer does register if you make a change after printing the original invoice.*