Permanent residency renewal alert!

Apr 10, 2014
There are so many posts here and maybe somebody has answered this, but has anyone renewed their residencia and cedula for 10 years? And is so did you do it yourselves or through a lawyer. The lawyer that I have alsways used in the past is quoting me 50,600 pesos:
SUB-TOTAL GASTOS DEL PROCESO:……………………………………………………………….. RD$35,600.00
COSTO GESTION:…………………………………………………………………………………………RD$15,000.00
TOTAL GRA.L:……………………………………………………………………………………………..RD$50,600.00

This seems very high even though it is for 10 years. I would much rather do a ten year renovation as opposed to another 4 years renovation that I have been doing since 2004. Some people may ask why I don't take out my Dominican citizenship but I have dual citizenship with Canada and Great Britain and I don't want to lose either of those but would have to forfeit one to become a Dominican Citizen.

Just had my residencia definitiva done through an attorney. The amount your attorney wants is on par with what I paid. All done and good for ten years

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
There are so many posts here and maybe somebody has answered this, but has anyone renewed their residencia and cedula for 10 years? And is so did you do it yourselves or through a lawyer. The lawyer that I have alsways used in the past is quoting me 50,600 pesos:
SUB-TOTAL GASTOS DEL PROCESO:……………………………………………………………….. RD$35,600.00
COSTO GESTION:…………………………………………………………………………………………RD$15,000.00
TOTAL GRA.L:……………………………………………………………………………………………..RD$50,600.00

This seems very high even though it is for 10 years. I would much rather do a ten year renovation as opposed to another 4 years renovation that I have been doing since 2004. Some people may ask why I don't take out my Dominican citizenship but I have dual citizenship with Canada and Great Britain and I don't want to lose either of those but would have to forfeit one to become a Dominican Citizen.

Tee
why would you need to forfeit your UK or Cdn passport ?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
New Requirement

On the DGM login page under "Mi Pagina">"Applications", and new column has been added: "Informacion de Cita". Before going to SD, you now have to wait until an appointment date appears there, download it, print out a copy, and bring that with you to DGM in SD on that specific date in order to be admitted.

residencyDR

Apr 3, 2019
If you are considering relocating to the Dominican Republic, our team at ResidencyDR warmly welcomes you to understand the legal aspect of all immigration matters related to moving to the DR. 809 708-4911 (what up). Free quote. www.residencydr.com

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Details, details, details...
Not to worry cap, no doubt
this conversation will jog ya memory.
And if it don't... SPADE

I hope so. At least I remembered to renew this time. Time before last I didn't realise it had expired until I tried to leave the country.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I just received my temporary residency renewal date from DGM - April 19th at 3pm. I always spend the night in a hotel anyway, but a late afternoon appointment will almost guarantee that an overnight stay in SD will be required. No way to make it to JCE in time to get the cedula.

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
I just received my temporary residency renewal date from DGM - April 19th at 3pm. I always spend the night in a hotel anyway, but a late afternoon appointment will almost guarantee that an overnight stay in SD will be required. No way to make it to JCE in time to get the cedula.

Cavok, what time did you arrive at DGM? Seems like everyone tries to arrive early in the morning, and I've heard that afternoons are much faster if you don't mind staying overnight to go to JCE the next morning for your cedula. What say you?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
instead of - Morning & Afternoon

You'll Afternoon & Morning....

there will be less people at the cedula office in the AM - hopefully

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Cavok, what time did you arrive at DGM? Seems like everyone tries to arrive early in the morning, and I've heard that afternoons are much faster if you don't mind staying overnight to go to JCE the next morning for your cedula. What say you?

I used to go early mornings, but in the recent past, the cutoff time to let you in was noon. You no longer have any choice. As you can see in my post, I was given a specific time to be there - 3pm. If they operate like the US Visa Application Center in SD, they will not let you in prior to your assigned appointment time.

My appointment is on the 19th. I'm going to drive down that day, spend the night in a hotel, and pick up my cedula at JCE the next day.

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
I used to go early mornings, but in the recent past, the cutoff time to let you in was noon. You no longer have any choice. As you can see in my post, I was given a specific time to be there - 3pm. If they operate like the US Visa Application Center in SD, they will not let you in prior to your assigned appointment time.

My appointment is on the 19th. I'm going to drive down that day, spend the night in a hotel, and pick up my cedula at JCE the next day.

That sounds like a good plan. Let us know how it goes. Too bad we don't have any control over the time of day anymore. I know many people here on the north coast go down and back in the same say, but I would never consider doing that. The process is stressful enough as it as without adding those kind of time constraints to an already stressful and tedious day. Planning to stay overnight either the night before your appointment or the night after only makes sense to me.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
That sounds like a good plan. Let us know how it goes. Too bad we don't have any control over the time of day anymore. I know many people here on the north coast go down and back in the same say, but I would never consider doing that. The process is stressful enough as it as without adding those kind of time constraints to an already stressful and tedious day. Planning to stay overnight either the night before your appointment or the night after only makes sense to me.

To me, it's not worth driving almost 8 hours total in one day just to save $60 for a hotel. It's a much more relaxed trip if I spend the night. No big deal.

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
To me, it's not worth driving almost 8 hours total in one day just to save $60 for a hotel. It's a much more relaxed trip if I spend the night. No big deal.

And speaking of making things less stressful, I won't even drive my car down there. I know from experience that driving in SD can stress you out before you even arrive at DGM. Not worth it. I take the bus instead. 500 pesos for the direct bus plus a few hundred pesos for Uber to get around after you arrive. Much cheaper than driving and far less stressful.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This is the way I do it now.. an overnight - dinner - the next day's appointments and Uber

Much easier.

I am 5 hrs drive in total..... no more