Permanent Residency

Status
Not open for further replies.

amordecanada

Jul 19, 2014
I have completed my 5 temporary residency renewals and understand I am to apply for Permanent Residency now. When i go online to new apply permanent, they require documents that I am unsure of.
Is my temporary residency card number my visa?
It looks like they are asking for another application letter, an informative questionnaire and economic solvency test.
I can use the same format I have used in past for my letter, but I do not understand what the informative questionnaire is.
Also I am assuming they want another copy of my pension letter or can I use the original one? Does everything have to be in spanish and notarized?
When do I get the appointment for the medical test? I don't see where the appointment is offered. I am in Puerto Plata.

I appreciate any help with this

amordecanada

Jul 19, 2014
I have completed my 5 temporary residency renewals and understand I am to apply for Permanent Residency now. When i go online to new apply permanent, they require documents that I am unsure of.
Is my temporary residency card number my visa?
It looks like they are asking for another application letter, an informative questionnaire and economic solvency test.
I can use the same format I have used in past for my letter, but I do not understand what the informative questionnaire is.
Also I am assuming they want another copy of my pension letter or can I use the original one? Does everything have to be in spanish and notarized?
When do I get the appointment for the medical test? I don't see where the appointment is offered. I am in Puerto Plata.

I appreciate any help with this
Also who is the insurance company that is used for residency?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
It's considerably more complicated when you apply for your first so called "permanent". That's why I got a lawyer to help with mine. She told me exactly what to do and what to provide, did the application for me and it all went through smoothly.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
It's considerably more complicated when you apply for your first so called "permanent". That's why I got a lawyer to help with mine. She told me exactly what to do and what to provide, did the application for me and it all went through smoothly.
That's exactly why we have declined to apply for permanent after 5 temporaries. Ours temp renewal is not that difficult - but we are RT-9 ( the regularization program started in 2014/2015) and I think our requirements may be different than other temp classes. No medical , for example.

Always done it ourselves online and a once a year trip to Santo Domingo. Bang Bang / Chop Chop and done

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
That's exactly why we have declined to apply for permanent after 5 temporaries. Ours temp renewal is not that difficult - but we are RT-9 ( the regularization program started in 2014/2015) and I think our requirements may be different than other temp classes. No medical , for example.

Always done it ourselves online and a once a year trip to Santo Domingo. Bang Bang / Chop Chop and done

Same..... Mainly because I am lazy, but also because I don't want to anger the bureaucracy Gods. Pay 250€/year to keep residency valid seems like a fair price to pay.

When I am older---- and hopefully richer, or at least rich enough to not have to work part of the year---- I will go for citizenship or permanent residency.

Reactions: Buck and marcosalm

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Question for USA retirees: When applying for "permanent" (with no U.S. medicare health or drug plan because you are declaring you live in a foreign country) does that mean you will never return to the U.S.? And does that mean if you should desire to return to the U.S. you can re-instate your residency?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Question for USA retirees: When applying for "permanent" (with no U.S. medicare health or drug plan because you are declaring you live in a foreign country) does that mean you will never return to the U.S.?
I have no idea if I will ever return to the USA. I have no plans to do so after 20 years in the DR. I know of people that intended to live their lives out in the DR, but have gone back to North America for various reasons, normally heath related. One is considering his options right now after getting screwed by Casa Linda.

First I was a legal resident and then I became a dual citizen. I am sure there are people who live in the DR who also have Medicare plans in the US in case they need to use them. It would not make much sense to pay for regular health care in the US until one is eligible for medicare. There are world wide coverege health plans that probably make more sense prior to Medicare age.
And does that mean if you should desire to return to the U.S. you can re-instate your residency?
As a US citizen, I will never lose the ability to live in the USA anytime I want. Same with being a DR citizen and living in the DR.

Reactions: bob saunders

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I am sure there are people who live in the DR who also have Medicare plans in the US in case they need to use them. It would not make much sense to pay for regular health care in the US until one is eligible for medicare. There are world wide coverege health plans that probably make more sense prior to Medicare age.
Winde...just to clarify: Are you saying there are ppl that "live" in the DR AND get Medicare coverage at/in the US?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Winde...just to clarify: Are you saying there are ppl that "live" in the DR AND get Medicare coverage at/in the US?
Yes. Of course they have to return the USA to receive care from that coverage,
The possible exception is emergency care that might be reimbursed while they are on "travel" out of the USA.

Reactions: JD Jones

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Yes. Of course they have to return the USA to receive care from that coverage,
The possible exception is emergency care that might be reimbursed while they are on "travel" out of the USA.
And when they return there for coverage where do they claim they domicile? Do they also get a drug plan while they are in the US?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
And when they return there for coverage where do they claim they domicile?
That would depend upon each person. They all need to have a US address. Some use a friend or relative's house. Some actually own a home in the USA.
Do they also get a drug plan while they are in the US?
That depends upon what they opt for. Most Medicare Advantage plans offer drug coverage but most have a monthly fee. The government pushes people toward those Advantage plans, but you can stick with just basic Medicare without additional payment. Plans vary greatly based upon locale in the USA.

Jan 9, 2004
And when they return there for coverage where do they claim they domicile? Do they also get a drug plan while they are in the US?
Medicare can be quite complicated.

Medicare A covers you as a US citizen or LPM no matter where you reside as long as you return to the US for care (there are small/narrow exceptions.).

Medicare B ditto above................but you must weigh the monthly cost of about $174 against how many days you may actually return to the US and your own current medical needs.

Medicare C.......a/k/a Medicare Advantage requires you to have a US address as coverage/costs/benefits are region specific and may/may not include a Part D drug plan.

Medicare D......a/k/a Drug Plan for those whose part C does not cover drugs is also region specific as to cost and also requires a US address for coverage.

Unfortunately it can be daunting to figure out the correct path to take as it is person specific based on their current and/or possible future needs.

And, at least for US citizens and LPM residents living in the DR, consideration need to be given to health care plans offered there and any cutoff dates for application and/or coverage. Some plans will not write insurance if you apply after age 70, some will only allow you to stay on a plan up to a certain age, etc.

Lots to consider.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: NanSanPedro

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I believe that yes, there are ways that would be advantageous to receive benefits and not domicile in the U.S. I have researched this from A-Z, lol , or A-M, and I believe some of the methods used are suspect. I don't need
that kind of "security" in my life. When you explore this subject in detail one must read "the small print", ie; How much time you must spend there to receive benefits, how to meet the qualifying days, where do you REALLY domicile, (Not Auntie Lou's house) and how long will it take to receive the prescription part of the plan. AND above all is it legal and what are the costs?

The devil is in the details and YES it is a rat's nest. The upside is if you have medicare coverage and supplement you will have one of the finest medical plans you can purchase.

colmcb

Mar 22, 2009
@johne: What was explained to me by Medicare is (and I'm not sure to be honest if this is totally correct, but it gives you a general idea - maybe someone who is more knowledgeable than I am can chime in): if a U.S. citizen plans to move out of the country (i.e. to the DR) full time, it's always wise to keep Medicare Part A. You don't pay for that anyway. You have to decide if you want to pay for Part B if you are not planning to live in the U.S., nor return to live in the U.S. (at least assuming that's what your current plan is) as it's a monthly expense. If you drop Part A and then decide you do indeed want to move back to the U.S., you have to apply for Medicare and you will be without any Medicare coverage until the next open enrollment period which may be many months, depending on when you move back to the states.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
@johne: What was explained to me by Medicare is (and I'm not sure to be honest if this is totally correct, but it gives you a general idea - maybe someone who is more knowledgeable than I am can chime in): if a U.S. citizen plans to move out of the country (i.e. to the DR) full time, it's always wise to keep Medicare Part A. You don't pay for that anyway. You have to decide if you want to pay for Part B if you are not planning to live in the U.S., nor return to live in the U.S. (at least assuming that's what your current plan is) as it's a monthly expense. If you drop Part A and then decide you do indeed want to move back to the U.S., you have to apply for Medicare and you will be without any Medicare coverage until the next open enrollment period which may be many months, depending on when you move back to the states.
I think you meant "if you drop partB"(?). Not only do you have to wait, but you also have to pay a pretty big penalty for all the time you didn't have Part B coverage. Not a wise thing to do.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yes, exactly. That's the way it was explained to me.
If you don't sign up for B or an Advantage plan when you can first do it, there is a wait time to be covered and the monthly payments will be significantly higher.

Reactions: colmcb

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
If you don't sign up for B or an Advantage plan when you can first do it, there is a wait time to be covered and the monthly payments will be significantly higher.
There is an exception to this rule.

If you can show proof of private insurance equal to or better than Part B/Advantage, you can opt into the Medicare coverage without the penalty higher premium.

Reactions: colmcb and windeguy
Status
Not open for further replies.