Pessimistic Views are the Creators of Failure

solituna

Jan 26, 2004
Aha!!!

The LSD finally explains it!!! I was wondering how it was possible to go on... and ....on .....and .......ON.............

Co?o! Diablo!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I'm sipping a fine single malt and suddenly I feel better! My head has stopped shaking from side to side, the word obtuse is now meaningless. The family can eat raw rice and beans tonight... All is well with the world! I'll try LSD next! Anything to escape from the lunacy of reality!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Escott said:
I can only speak for myself and no one else.

What I would like to change is your writing like you are living in a different country than I am. We live in the same place and see the same crap daily.

I acknowlege it and you deny it. Get it yet?

If it rains for 30 days you come on and say that weather has been sunny and beautiful. If you shared your LSD with the rest of us maybe we would be like you also.

I too sit here shaking my head from side to side reading your ramblings. I don't want to change your way of being, I would just like you not to believe in Peter Pan and type it like he is the new President of the DR.

Escott
So you don't agree that if everybody would be a bit more optimistic that things will change?

May I tell you that what has changed between Hipolito and Leonel's turns has been pessimism shifting to optimism.

Suddenly, no it can't be, the economy is moving up, how can it be since being optimistic is so bad...

Seeing the same crap, well I guess you can say that.

Then again, the difference between you and me is that you are retired, have nothing to do except what you want and I'm still rambling on in my business.

Then again, I'm not expecting for things to change over night. You plan a small tree today and it will be just as small tomorrow, but twenty years from now, well that's a different story.

In other words, you can either dwell in pessimism and keep saying "this is bad", "this is no good", "oh oh" and do nothing about it or you can look beyond what's present, see what it can be and then go about presenting your views and showing the way to make it come true.

I don't know what you are doing to help "fix" at the very least a tiny bit of a major national problem. I sure do know that if it wasn't for my own ambition, risk taking, and optimistic way of being, hundreds of Dominicans working directly for me would not have a steady paycheck going into their households as of right now.

In addition, other hundreds indirectly impacted by my business ventures are also having a least something to take home.

I'm doing my part, what are you and every other person here doing...

Besides complaining, drinking from time to time, eating and sleeping.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Nal0whs said:

Running two businesses, and influencing a few more ;), doing a lot of teaching of business principles, doing good deeds that may just benefit a few, keeping my part of the economy afloat, sometimes against all odds - increasing costs, shrinking margins.

And sometimes drinking and partying and eating and sleeping and talking on the board. Complaining? not so much. I like it here and do what I've always done in terms of business and fairness and ecology and family and people and humans and the life around us. I just cannot for the life of me figure out what our fearless leaders are doing..

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Nal0whs said:
So you don't agree that if everybody would be a bit more optimistic that things will change?.
That and 20 pesos will get you on a publico and nothing else. Wishing and dreaming makes NOTHING come true. Are you really a serious person?

Nal0whs said:
May I tell you that what has changed between Hipolito and Leonel's turns has been pessimism shifting to optimism..
Only thing that has changed is smoke mirrors and more BS that is as meaningless as tits on a freakin bull. The country is still in the shitter. Only thing holding up the Peso is Voodoo Economics which is just crap.

Nal0whs said:
Suddenly, no it can't be, the economy is moving up, how can it be since being optimistic is so bad....
Economy is dong nothing more than when Hippo was in office. Further away from 9-11 the more tourism will pick up. Big deal. Free Zones are in the Shitter as well as business.

Nal0whs said:
Seeing the same crap, well I guess you can say that.

Then again, the difference between you and me is that you are retired, have nothing to do except what you want and I'm still rambling on in my business. .
Well lets see. In the last 12 months I financed a small hotel in Cabarete, a 9 home buildout on 12000 m2 in Cabrera and a Condo complex refurb in Sosua. I also renovated 4 condos in Sosua, 2 that I own and 2 that are owned by a friend of mine. I just gave Lissa from this board who is an architect a job to complete plans on a house I am building on 5500 m2 in Cabarete, bought 12000 meters in Sosua on the main highway to build out commercially, 4300 meters next to Casa Linda to build Condos on and negotiating on a property in Sosua on the main street to build out commercially. This is just what I am doing. I have also advised and consulted with many people and alot on this board who have done a bunch of different things on this Island that will have an economic impact.

Other than that I help out a few families financially, put one Dominican 7 year old in private school (no I am not sleeping with the mother) and give in other ways financially and with my time that will/has an impact.

What exactly do you do that is so earth shaking and adding to the economy of the DR that makes me look like I am doing nothing?

Nal0whs said:
Then again, I'm not expecting for things to change over night. You plan a small tree today and it will be just as small tomorrow, but twenty years from now, well that's a different story. .
You are not planting a small tree. That takes a bit of labor. You are just running at the mouth and talking Blah Blah about nothing without doing one darn thing that I can see.
Did I miss anything? If so it isn't evident.
Nal0whs said:
In other words, you can either dwell in pessimism and keep saying "this is bad", "this is no good", "oh oh" and do nothing about it or you can look beyond what's present, see what it can be and then go about presenting your views and showing the way to make it come true. .
I have just hired a attorney to persue my citizenship in the DR. Maybe then I will have something to say and where I can even vote to express myself other than here and talking to others. Reality is pessimism, you are either on good drugs, in denial or just wacky. I can't figure out which.

Nal0whs said:
I don't know what you are doing to help "fix" at the very least a tiny bit of a major national problem. I sure do know that if it wasn't for my own ambition, risk taking, and optimistic way of being, hundreds of Dominicans working directly for me would not have a steady paycheck going into their households as of right now. .
I have a couple of employees that work fulltime and I hire people as needed. I also enable other people to hire people and as a matter of fact many people. What exactly is it that you do?

Nal0whs said:
In addition, other hundreds indirectly impacted by my business ventures are also having a least something to take home. .
I have laid out most of what I have been doing. What is it exactly that you are doing?

Nal0whs said:

I can't speak for anyone else but myself. I realize that you felt that you were able to speak for me but like everything else I have read of yours you got that wrong also. You don't know me nor even have the slightest clue. I have put tons of people together to do business in the DR. This is exactly what I do all the time but do it with eyes open and a basic understanding of reality.

Escott

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Nal0whs said:

Hey Dude, I'm on your side..I've made it my life's work to mend souls and empower people, one at a time. Trained as a many things, Army Medic, Lawyer, Social Worker, etc.. Worked in many roles. Currently I'm teaching Business English and Presentational Skills, and influencing: business leaders, co-workers, and many young Dominicans; For positive effect, I hope and pray.

Also supporting my family, and giving what I can to help out my wife's relatives.

Drinking? Sure. Eating and Sleeping? Of Course. Complaining? Only when the freaking cars quits on me in the middle of 27deFebrero, which happens about twice a month. Keep up the good work. But, know that you are not alone on this BB. We all try, in our way. Escott included, he's really not as cynical as he thinks he is. You'll see, in time, his destiny is approaching, his greatness will be revealed!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I don't think progress can be made if everyone adopts mass pessimism.
But... Mass optimism can be a driving force of change.

Most people I speak are more "optimistic" in regards to what their future holds and certainly the business community is a lot more "optimistic" than it was under the PRD.

Is this optimism sustainable? Will the economy implode, we will have to wait and see.

Slightly off topic, do you actually live in the DR Nal0whs?
Who do you use to connect to the Internet?

Keep up the good work, I like to see your posts on the board, they keep the scales balanced!
Let's try and keep this thread going and on topic and not become an outlet for show boating.

gringito

Feb 21, 2005
Maybe...

Robert said:

Most people I speak are more "optimistic" in regards to what their future holds and certainly the business community is a lot more "optimistic" than it was under the PRD.

Is this optimism sustainable? Will the economy implode, we will have to wait and see.

Keep up the good work, I like to see your posts on the board, they keep the scales balanced!
Let's try and keep this thread going and on topic and not become an outlet for show boating.

Maybe some of the people who comment here in ways that others view as pessimistic are actually very optomistic about the country and have been for a long time but have very realistic views of things. Some of us may have even invested millions of dollars here or moved here as part of our being optomistic about the country, only to find that we are still dealing with a lot of the same problems and issues we have always dealt with time and time again. I respect the views of everyone who comments here. But I also expect the same from them. At the end of the day, aren't we all here to learn about a country that most of us have learned to love despite it's problems and to do our best to make it better? Me a pessimist? Never! But saying the new guys are better than the old ones can only be said by those who maybe have lived through both but have not dealt personally with either.

Regards

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Just love it

Today?s Listin Diario had an interesting story in ?Hola Nuevo dia? titled ?Una piedra en el camino? which you may read at;

http://www.listindiario.com.do/cuerpos/opinion/col_opi1.htm

The moral of this little story seems to be that you can just go around those things that are difficult in life, cry out to the powers to be that things aren?t fair or you can actually try to change those things.

IMHO I think that the leaders of the DR, president, deputies, senators and everyone else act like the king in the abovementioned story in that they make laws and rules, piedras en el camino, to enrich themselves and friends knowing that the majority of the Dominicans will just continue on with their lives or will sit there and cry, ?poor me?, and blame the president or God or whomever. They know that a few people will try to do something about the injustice that is being perpetrated on them but the numbers are always so few and unorganized to be of any consequence and therefore the perpetual circle survives. As an example, Leonel eliminated a lot of mere sinecures created by baldy and turned around and created his own sinecures thereby trading PRD for PLD and continuing the useless drain of the DR coffers. Was there any complaint about this? A little from the private sector but a lot from the congressional sector in that a boycott was created until Leonel backtracked said he would reinstate some of the PRD sinecures when in fact he should eliminate all of them and promulgate that these useless jobs will not be tolerated in the government. In his inaugural address Leonel said he would do this but hasn?t and won?t until a grass roots attempt by the people is made demanding change. You the Dominicans are the only ones that can do this.

IMHO the desultoriness of those actions presently taken by Dominicans is due to the lack of emphatic ratiocination required for efficacious protests. Why is this? Is it possible that a lot these supposed protests are equivocated by coteries whose interests are to give a highly tendentious version of what is really happening? There is also the case of those protesters who wish to politicize their actions in the name of the PLD, PRD etc., instead of as an action by the people for the people. Especially as the prevarication of all political parties is a known fact. Regardless of all of the above, it is also known that the majority of Dominicans are easily acquiesced and a lot of them are prone to misoneism. Because of this the grass roots effort must be made by Dominicans to try to educate the Dominicans in how a government works, why it is there, what each Dominican can do and how everything that happens in this world has an effect on all the people here in the DR. The majority of Dominicans do not know any of this.

I wish to thank those that responded in the above posts as I now have an idea as to what some consider as their contribution to the country and I would love to hear from more posters as this gives a good and broad prospective of the makeup of the DR1 board.

Please keep posting. ;) ;) ;)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Wow Rick,

that was a near excellent post! I'm impressed.

-Nal0whs

Rick Snyder said:
Today?s Listin Diario had an interesting story in ?Hola Nuevo dia? titled ?Una piedra en el camino? which you may read at;

http://www.listindiario.com.do/cuerpos/opinion/col_opi1.htm

The moral of this little story seems to be that you can just go around those things that are difficult in life, cry out to the powers to be that things aren?t fair or you can actually try to change those things.

IMHO I think that the leaders of the DR, president, deputies, senators and everyone else act like the king in the abovementioned story in that they make laws and rules, piedras en el camino, to enrich themselves and friends knowing that the majority of the Dominicans will just continue on with their lives or will sit there and cry, ?poor me?, and blame the president or God or whomever. They know that a few people will try to do something about the injustice that is being perpetrated on them but the numbers are always so few and unorganized to be of any consequence and therefore the perpetual circle survives. As an example, Leonel eliminated a lot of mere sinecures created by baldy and turned around and created his own sinecures thereby trading PRD for PLD and continuing the useless drain of the DR coffers. Was there any complaint about this? A little from the private sector but a lot from the congressional sector in that a boycott was created until Leonel backtracked said he would reinstate some of the PRD sinecures when in fact he should eliminate all of them and promulgate that these useless jobs will not be tolerated in the government. In his inaugural address Leonel said he would do this but hasn?t and won?t until a grass roots attempt by the people is made demanding change. You the Dominicans are the only ones that can do this.

IMHO the desultoriness of those actions presently taken by Dominicans is due to the lack of emphatic ratiocination required for efficacious protests. Why is this? Is it possible that a lot these supposed protests are equivocated by coteries whose interests are to give a highly tendentious version of what is really happening? There is also the case of those protesters who wish to politicize their actions in the name of the PLD, PRD etc., instead of as an action by the people for the people. Especially as the prevarication of all political parties is a known fact. Regardless of all of the above, it is also known that the majority of Dominicans are easily acquiesced and a lot of them are prone to misoneism. Because of this the grass roots effort must be made by Dominicans to try to educate the Dominicans in how a government works, why it is there, what each Dominican can do and how everything that happens in this world has an effect on all the people here in the DR. The majority of Dominicans do not know any of this.

I wish to thank those that responded in the above posts as I now have an idea as to what some consider as their contribution to the country and I would love to hear from more posters as this gives a good and broad prospective of the makeup of the DR1 board.

Please keep posting. ;) ;) ;)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Point in case...

Point in case (again)...

Question 1: Yes
Question 2: Aster, but I use my hotmail account whenever I subscribe to anything online.

That is one of the purpose.

It's good to have a balanced discussion, its good for the reader's understanding of the country and its good for DR1!

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Watch out or my head will swell!

Gee thanks NalOwhs. The question now is what do I need to do for an EXCELLENT post? ;) ;) ;)

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
The differences between "optimism" and "Pessimism"---

lies in what one is "O" or "P" about.

In the case of most of the posts I have read (and some of the ones I have made myself) it depends on ones view of the events taking place and extrapolating them into the future.

In the case of NalOws--- well, what I gather from his postings is this:
a) He views the DR as being a freight train chugging along on it's rickety tracks at a minimum speed, but making all the stops along the way without TOO much trouble. That is optimism--- all is going well, so why change anything.

a1) Pessimists answer: "This country has shi&&y railroads, why don't they do something about it? Meaning "This train could go a lot faster and be safer if the tracks were rebuilt/upgraded and newer equipment were put into service."

Just one example----

What NalOws fails to realize is that those who express pessimism are really opening the door for the optimists to take action to CORRECT what is wrong and to try to make it better for all concerned!

NalOws hasn't even scratched the surface of offering corrective measures to the problems we "Pessimists" have repeatedly pointed out! He just "optimistically makes excuses and beats around the bush about those things and then trys to skew the subject by changing it.

I think it is germain to the solutions to the problems of this country to continue to be pessimistic about it's future vis-a-vis it's economy, it's government and the probability and possibility of it's complete recovery sufficient to join the larger family of nations on this planet.

The Dominican people have a resilience that is inbred. They bounce back from catastrophy after catastrophy and keep going! They're really something! So, why in the h&&& don't they take better care of themselves and their posterity instead of laying down and ACCEPTING what comes their way without a wiggle in protest.

Optimism, yes---a good element of character to have if pursued correctly, but a corrosive force if used as an excuse for DOING NOTHING!

Pessimism, well---another good element of character if used as a wake-up mechanism to point out the many negative elements that beset us continuously in hopes that someone with sufficient clout can get the ball rolling with a corrective measure.

Both have their place in the scheme of things......

The glass is neither half empty, nor is it half full.....we just got full before the glass was empty.

Texas Bill

Last edited: