phone advice

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Need some advice on what to do with my phone situation. I have a Galaxy Cheapie with a DR phone number that I'm happy with.

I would like to buy an unlocked phone and get an American phone number. It doesn't have to be state of the art but the imperative is having an American phone number.

Right now, I have Skype with an American phone number but I really want to delete my Microsoft account for a myriad of reasons. What would the board recommend, if this is indeed doable?

I guess I could buy an unlocked phone in the states and have it sent to me, but I'm concerned I won't be able to set it up with a USA phone # over here in the DR.

Thanks

Rob

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
AFAIK, it would be expensive to be making calls here with a US phone number. Why don't you buy one of those phones that has an extra sim card slot so you can have a US and a DR number on the same phone? I think you're going to need to get a plan to have the US number(?).

Reactions: NanSanPedro

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
why don't you install an app that has a usa number. lots of free ones for just a number and you can make and receive calls. for sending and receiving texts you have to pay a small monthly fee. I have Fongo. If you don't use it much it will cancel itself on the free use. maybe if you pay it won't.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Need some advice on what to do with my phone situation. I have a Galaxy Cheapie with a DR phone number that I'm happy with.

I would like to buy an unlocked phone and get an American phone number. It doesn't have to be state of the art but the imperative is having an American phone number.

Right now, I have Skype with an American phone number but I really want to delete my Microsoft account for a myriad of reasons. What would the board recommend, if this is indeed doable?

I guess I could buy an unlocked phone in the states and have it sent to me, but I'm concerned I won't be able to set it up with a USA phone # over here in the DR.

Thanks

Rob
I have been using Magic Jack with the mobile app here for many years. I have a US number and of course I receive and make US calls with it. I just renewed for 3 years at the current price of $109 US. So it works both as a landline off your router and any cell phone. Just download the cell app after you set it up. All calls to and from the US are included free..........So your cell that you have now with the app is all you need. Your DR number will work the same as before..............Also you can pick your area code, so you can be anywhere.............

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I have been using Magic Jack with the mobile app here for many years. I have a US number and of course I receive and make US calls with it. I just renewed for 3 years at the current price of $109 US. So it works both as a landline off your router and any cell phone. Just download the cell app after you set it up. All calls to and from the US are included free..........So your cell that you have now with the app is all you need. Your DR number will work the same as before..............Also you can pick your area code, so you can be anywhere.............
Sky,

Can you get text messages on your magicJack cell phone mobile app?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

I forgot all about Magic Jack. I had both the app and the thingy to plug into my laptop, but everyone I know now has WhatsApp so I let the number go. It worked great for calling businesses and my parents, aunts and uncles who didn’t have cellphones with app capabilities.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Sky,

Can you get text messages on your magicJack cell phone mobile app?
Yes messages are fine, but photos in messages don't work. Also you can use your MJ to open a Whatsapp account so you can get everything there..................

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I forgot all about Magic Jack. I had both the app and the thingy to plug into my laptop, but everyone I know now has WhatsApp so I let the number go. It worked great for calling businesses and my parents, aunts and uncles who didn’t have cellphones with app capabilities.
You can use Magic Jack to open a Whatsapp account.......................

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

Thanks

Rob
If you get an e-Sim phone you can talk to T-Mobile and set it up on line. I am sure AT&T and Verizon do the same
I just did it for my step daughter and got her a new activated iPhone 15 Titanium delivered to her door step in US with one phone call.
If you already have an e-sim phone in DR I think it should be no problem.
If you do no already have (or had a US cell account) you may have to send copies of your ID, because the government wants to track everyone who sends texts to friends about how they hate the president, etc.

JLSawmam

Sep 8, 2018
If the goal is to have a US number on a cell phone, wouldn't one of the available free apps (I use TextNow, there are others) be at least equal if not better than Magic Jack? Both need connectivity to work, right? As mentioned above with Fongo, I make one call a week in order to keep my free number active. I have it mainly for the occasional need to call a toll-free number.

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
You can use Magic Jack to open a Whatsapp account.......................
Reading this I am now trying if I can open a Whatsapp account with a Skype nr but doesn’t seem so.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Reading this I am now trying if I can open a Whatsapp account with a Skype nr but doesn’t seem so.
What does that have to do with opening one with Magic Jack? I can attest that you can. Skype is garbage compared to Magic Jack, and has been for many years............

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
What does that have to do with opening one with Magic Jack? I can attest that you can. Skype is garbage compared to Magic Jack, and has been for many years............
You need to calm down Sky. This is just an online forum.

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
Calm down? I said you can open a Whatsapp account with Magic Jack, NOT Skype. Comprendi...
Yes I understood that. Then I was curious and tried with a US Skype number I use and I couldn’t. That was all.

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008

Thanks

Rob
I actually have my iPhone and use only a US Skype nr on it. I didn’t know I had to have a microsoft account for that although I know they own Skype. Then I have another cheap Pixel android where I have my more day to day stuff and Danish nr and Whatsapp and if I move back to the DR that would be for the DR number. I don’t know how good Skype is compared to other Voip services. I needed it for some practical stuff but really don’t use it much. I just tried to use Skype for setting up a Whatsapp account and it didn’t work.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I really don’t know what the purpose of a Skype or Google number behind VPN if one isn’t hiding from Interpol or the FBI. Isn’t it just easier to have a normal citizen’s cell service and number for the home country and one for DR?