Pickpockets on Cabarete beach

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
You're at the beach. Whose going to call you anyways? Who do you really need to talk to (the wife)? Leave the phone and the wallet at home or in the room. Photocopies of ID and enough money to accomplish your mission that's all you need anytime you are in a crowd or just partying because it's Tuesday.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You're at the beach. Whose going to call you anyways? Who do you really need to talk to (the wife)? Leave the phone and the wallet at home or in the room. Photocopies of ID and enough money to accomplish your mission that's all you need anytime you are in a crowd or just partying because it's Tuesday.

i agree with you 100%. when i see some asshat on the beach with his Samsung Galaxy, i immediately wonder what they used to do before the things were invented. stupid mutts at the cashier window in the bank blathering away on their phones. it is enough to make you contemplate homicide.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
....They can never take what you dont have..........my swim suit has no pockets.......

Milo Mitt

Jul 21, 2014
I agree that the safest option is not to bring the cellphone to the beach. I wear cargo shorts and place my cellphone (when I bring it) and money in the lower pockets equipped with multiple buttons. I hardly cannot get in there myself :). Stay sober and alert are my other tactics that I apply.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

I have an inexpensive Android so if I lose it I'd keep doing my day at the beach, but it has a 256K SD card with all my music, so I take it and with wireless Bluetooth ear buds I can chill (in the shade) with my music and drink beer to expand my bulging waistline.

Do we really have to abandon all are lifestyle perks because some skinny little Dominican twit wants to enrich himself the easy way ? I can lose my stuff, I hate it, but I'm going to keep on living.

Now if they try to steal my swimsuit - well that would expose my real valuables.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It happens everywhere. A friend of ours (Dominican who retired here from USA) had his iPhone stolen out of his pocket on our beach during a party for one of the saints. My iPhone stays in a drawer here, and I use an Android in DR. Mr AE walks down to the beach frequently to swim. He takes only a towel. He leaves his shoes, glasses and towel on the sand. Our little viralata likes to follow him there, and then he sits and guards the towel, haha.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Part of the secret is doing it in a country where the authorities either don't care or want a piece of the action for not finding their stuff. At the risk of mentioning another thread, the biggest threat to tourism in the DR is the DR itself.

As others have stated above, it happens anywhere in the world where there are tourists, especially where there are big crowds as there are on Cabarete beach, Semana Santa.