Pico Duarte in 14 hours

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
Yeah, they were yours, but if you have them up somewhere...I'd like seeing them. Or you could send me some to my private e-mail address, your choice :)

I'd love to try that hike but at the moment I'm not fit enough and I don't live there - but I'm gonna work on both :)

If they were my photos, I deleted them because I didn't have any room for others:( Now that I have more room, maybe I will load again.

Anybody up for Pico Duarte? I feel like hiking.

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
Yeah, they were yours, but if you have them up somewhere...I'd like seeing them. Or you could send me some to my private e-mail address, your choice :)

I'd love to try that hike but at the moment I'm not fit enough and I don't live there - but I'm gonna work on both :)

Ya those are two problems... :)

I'll post them to the media gallery again so others that come in the future can see them. If anyone else is up for Pico Duarte, let me know. Only this time around, I'm gonna take my sweet 'ol time :)

xtoclark

Jul 9, 2008
Ya those are two problems... :)

I'll post them to the media gallery again so others that come in the future can see them. If anyone else is up for Pico Duarte, let me know. Only this time around, I'm gonna take my sweet 'ol time :)

Just went to El Tetero in Jan and per usual it was great. Except for the ride home when our bus lost brakes + clutch and went barreling down the mountains of Jarabacoba before being stopped by a nicely placed mango tree.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned are eggs. Bring a few hardboiled eggs and a little salt in some alumminum foil. They are full of great protein, fat and with salt they are perfect around the 3rd stop. Oh and for sure a few hard candies for the walk. Two canteens seems a bit excessive, especially if you are on foot the whole way since water wieghs a lot. I've always gotten by with a liter water bottle but that depends on your sized and how climatized you are (and sweat).

I'm definitely up for going again but it would have to be in August and I think I'll find a privately owned car for transportation.

Let me know more.
:)

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
I've been thinking of doing the hike...when are you thinking of going?

I usually don't make plans; I just do it. I'm game anytime, although I would like to take the route that goes through El Valle del Tetero (as mentioned in the previous post).

This route is more strenuous but more scenic as well. So?

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
Two canteens seems a bit excessive, especially if you are on foot the whole way since water wieghs a lot. I've always gotten by with a liter water bottle but that depends on your sized and how climatized you are (and sweat).

Well, the two canteens I had were not very large. I have a holder on each side of my backpack. They are more the size of water bottles. I would personally recommend two water bottles or one big one.

Also, there are more opportunities to get water in the Valle del Tetero route if I am not mistaken. It was more than 11km of no water from the La Ci?nega route. This included the most difficult part: the hill of regret.