Pictures of Santiagos's Carnival 2009

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
I'm in for next year if there is a DR1 comparsa! I need to know the dates so I can put them in my calendar. Still counting down the days for my trip to the DR. April can't come quick enough.

Sep 19, 2005
I have never attended the Santiago Carnival before..but have gone to the La Vega carnival at least 5 times.well a few thing i noticed from the pixs.

the costumes in Santiago center on the one figure with large long horns it seems.

the costumes in Santiago are not even close to as lavish as the ones in La Vega!!!!

and where are all the good looking santiago women???

they stayed home it seems.

plus it seemed like there were an awful lot of men dressed up as women in the Santiago carnival....any significance to that?

bad bob

May 31, 2005
plus it seemed like there were an awful lot of men dressed up as women in the Santiago carnival....any significance to that?

bad bob

Those are the "roba la gallina" (steal the chicken). I don't know why they are called that or what is the significance.

I also agree that the diablo cajuelos have more elaborate costumes in La Vega.

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
Bad Bob
Well our Santiago costums rpesent a traidon rivary betweon or tow oldest neighboorhood in Snatiago La hoya and Los Pepines...La hoja has the horns with Large horns with little horns on the and the Pepines are the long horns ...Our carnival in Santiago is not Hollywood driven but yet driven by a tradition past on generation after generation....
I do acknowledge that Diablos Cajueles are more lavish but no necessarily a better custom....I recommend when in Santiago visit El Museo Folklorico Jorji Morel in la Restauracion and you will get a nice history of the carnival... better yet Ill go and take pictures and translate some of the literature they posted up..
ps sorry about the typos...

Sep 19, 2005
It does appear the santiago carnival is lees traumatic..the bladders look a lot softer!!..... the few that i could see.

it also looks more campo.....and representative of the culture and economy!

I think La Vega has built a standard for itself, that it cant back down from.

more of a show....

but it it is a lavish show at times and a sight to behold.

thanks Chola, ill look forward to the photos

bad bob

Mariposazul

May 5, 2005
Questions:

A) Is Carnival (also) going on at Leon Jimenez on Sunday ??? If so, what time? I realize that yesterday (Saturday) there was something going on already.

B) What time does Santiago's Carnival start??? & La Vega's?

C) I have friends staying in Boca Chica this next weekend. What time does everything start Sunday, the 29th in Santo Domingo?????? They need to come back North, passing through the city...and I'm sure traffic will be MUCH worse than the usual.

Thanks!

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
The Centro Leon's activity is "Carnaval Familiar" - it's a little safer, family oriented than the "real" carnaval. It's also themed and has representations from the whole country. Yesterday was Diablos and Lechones. So there were troupes from all over the country representing.

We only take our son to that one... which might have more to do with me not wanting to fight the crowds and vejigazos while pregnant, but it's worth it if you have kids and/or want to see more of the different costumes from the whole country.