Plastic Wave Horror Film

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
We have Mennonite stores here that sell syrup and molasses from 55 gallon drums. You bring your own container. The colmados in the DR sell any quantity you want of many items; corn, flour, detergent, oil, etc. We need to expand that to also bringing your own reusable glass container instead of a plastic bag or bottle. How do we make that happen? I do not know. It will be a challenge due to the big box stores which offer little service and sell things in large quantities. Amazon's business model of the future of delivering things with drones would not work well with returnable bottles.
I assume it will have to be mandated. I am not a fan of government mandates but after seeing this, something needs to change.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
It will need to start in SCHOOL, Grab the kids while young and impressionable.. Make it Fashionable to be Green, A real PUSH, to " Keep the County Beautiful".. The Kids will have to then teach the Parents etc ... no other way this will work.. You cant teach older Dominicans anything.
Good idea but just doesn't seem to be any desire to protect anything here. Not just the environment, everything Dominicans own (not all but a good majority) trash their own surroundings and possessions.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
A Norwegian billionaire, who started out as a fisherman, has said he will give away most of his estimated $2.6 billion fortune in a bid to help clean up the world's oceans.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/18/a-billionaire-is-giving-his-fortune-away-to-clean-up-oceans.html
Kjell Inge Røkke, described in Forbes magazine as a "ruthless corporate raider", wants to build a 596-foot marine research ship that will scour the seas scooping up plastic litter.

Røkke told Norway's Aftenposten newspaper that he wanted "to give back to society what I've earned" and described the cost of the ship as costing "the lion's share of his fortune".

The Research Expedition Vessel , built in conjunction with the World Wildlife Fund, will be able to hoover up around 5 tons of plastic a day which will then be recycled.

According to one media report the ship will be the world's largest of its type, able to carry 60 scientists and 40 crew.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Plastic into clothing.

Plastic into clothing.

My wife has been doing some research and many interviews concerning plastic into clothing. Not a very good idea as this and other articles explain. (None written by my wife.)

https://eluxemagazine.com/magazine/recycled-plastic-clothing/

In Part: "Yet another eco-minded fashion label using recycled plastics is Outerknown, launched by surfer legend Kelly Slater, who designed a line of 100% recyclable clothing made from reclaimed fishing nets. His motivation is noble “Single-use plastics all through the ocean, degrading, turning into little bits that are all eaten by the sea life, and they’re dying because their stomachs are full of stuff,” Slater said in an interview with CNN. But little did he know that the very clothing he was creating with the aim of ending such pollution may well be exacerbating it."

"Researchers have found that these well intended brands may be doing more harm than good by introducing recycled plastic clothing into the wash cycle. Apparently, microfibers — tiny synthetic threads less than 1 mm in size — may actually be the biggest source of plastic in the ocean. And many of them may come from simply washing synthetic clothing."

"Earth Island reports that Dr. Mark Browne, an ecologist and postdoctoral fellow at the National Center of Ecological Analysis and Synthesis in Santa Barbara, California, states that every time a synthetic garment — that is, anything made from non-organic fibres – goes through the spin and rinse cycle in a washing machine, it sheds a large number of plastic fibers. Most washing machines don’t have filters to trap these miniscule microfibers, and neither do sewage plants that are responsible for removing contaminants. So every time the water drains from a washing machine, plastic filaments are swept through the sewers and eventually end up in the ocean.
In 2011, Browne published a paper in Environmental Science & Technology stating that one single synthetic garment can produce more than 1,900 microfibres per wash, with fleeces being the worst offenders – but even smooth synthetics like nylon shed significantly. Compound billions of people washing billions of garments billions of times in a year, and the effects are clearly effects are devastating."

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I can confirm that that playa is indeed in SD where the Montesino statue is located. I live one block up from there and witnessed the collection and removal of two mountains of trash last week; the same happened at the "beach" by the female obelisk.

A friend of mine posted that they were giving food to the folks who were participating in the clean up.

I made a comment here on a post a few years ago in my previous DR1 life about some folks who came down from the states and participated in the cleanup of a certain area.

There was a video of them picking up trash and collecting it in big trash bags. The ironic thing was in the background, there was a woman who finished drinking something from a plastic bottle, and casually threw it in the street that had just been cleaned.

My comment was pertaining to how useless it is to clean when the very folks who make the mess continue to do so.

It's also the reason you find houses built on top of hills, next to rivers, etc.

It's all about automatic trash removal.

Last edited:

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
Maybe they should update the official tourist web site;
Montesinos Beach
Set in the very busy Zona Colonial of San Miguel, it goes without saying that Monesinos Beach is a well visited beach along the Dominican Republic's south coast. The waters that wash ashore this beach come from the Caribbean Sea, making it calm enough for young swimmers to enjoy. Located in downtown Santo Domingo, toward the center of Santo Domingo, Montesinos Beach is on the South East edge of the Dominican Republic. You should consider dropping by whether or not you are staying in the vicinity. The beaches found throughout the Dominican Republic tend to be somewhat quiet, but Montesinos Beach stands out as a pleasant exception to this rule.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Maybe they should update the official tourist web site;
Montesinos Beach
Set in the very busy Zona Colonial of San Miguel, it goes without saying that Monesinos Beach is a well visited beach along the Dominican Republic's south coast. The waters that wash ashore this beach come from the Caribbean Sea, making it calm enough for young swimmers to enjoy. Located in downtown Santo Domingo, toward the center of Santo Domingo, Montesinos Beach is on the South East edge of the Dominican Republic. You should consider dropping by whether or not you are staying in the vicinity. The beaches found throughout the Dominican Republic tend to be somewhat quiet, but Montesinos Beach stands out as a pleasant exception to this rule.
The person who wrote that gem of misinformation has never been to that beach; there is a sewage line that empties into it on the West end, right next to the promontory where the new Mediterranean themed restaurant(M7)sits.

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
a plastic recycling industry is a market waiting to happen here ? mucho dinero in recycling being made in other countries. someone? anyone?

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Sunny Solar

Plastic Clothing
Patagonia did that several years ago.... it works

Ahhh. No. It makes plastic into cloths a lot worse. You have NO idea and didn't read the article. Did you?

We cover this around the world and it is a complete fail concerning responsible plastic recycling.

Some of those new into that market are getting out. NOT the way to go and they understand. To bad you don't.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I think it is is a worldwide problem that is apparent on every Caribbean island I have been to, every state in the US and Mexico that I have been to, and across Canada. I can't speak for the UK or Europe, but certainly pictures I have seen of parts of Africa and SE Asia also show the same behaviour.

I spent 3 months in Honduras - worse than the DR, 6 weeks in Ethiopia ( cleaner but not by much) , Paris - worse in some areas, Djbouti ( way worse) , China ( depends where you are) some areas pristine, others worse that you can imagine. Brazil - Rio -terrible, interior - reasonably clean. Lots of places worse than the DR but that is no excuse, especially when the tourist dollar is so important.

jimbobo

Feb 9, 2014
95 % of the dominicans cannot think for themselves. With what little they have, they buy things in the colmado that are for sale in the colmado. The colmadero cannot think either and he sells what the suppliers put in his store.

If you give monkeys lots of plastic bottles they will throw it away, eventually. This is exactly what is happening in the DR. Hence to get rid of the problem; get rid of plastic bottles in colmados, or get rid of the monkeys. The latter is very difficult, however in long term might have a chance, when abortion is readily available and sterrilising procedures as well.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
95 % of the dominicans cannot think for themselves. With what little they have, they buy things in the colmado that are for sale in the colmado. The colmadero cannot think either and he sells what the suppliers put in his store.

If you give monkeys lots of plastic bottles they will throw it away, eventually. This is exactly what is happening in the DR. Hence to get rid of the problem; get rid of plastic bottles in colmados, or get rid of the monkeys. The latter is very difficult, however in long term might have a chance, when abortion is readily available and sterrilising procedures as well.

Sad individual you are.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
The sad part is the continuing pattern of abasement towards the RD and it's native population that seems to delight some, and go unchecked at times within this webforum.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
It will need to start in SCHOOL, Grab the kids while young and impressionable.. Make it Fashionable to be Green, A real PUSH, to " Keep the County Beautiful".. The Kids will have to then teach the Parents etc ... no other way this will work.. You cant teach older Dominicans anything.

This is what might give any change a fighting chance. The children are the future. Support the teachers in implementing a program. But alas, there are those who will argue that an ad campaign is the answer. Watch the government throw obscene money into some billboards, and then wonder why the rivers and shorelines are still suffocating with filth 5 years from now.