Playa Grande to Become a Private (prestiged members-only) Golf Club/Course

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Malibook said:
I was not implying that the private club would not succeed.
I was simply stating that it is quite likely that many of the current customers would not pay 2 or 3 times what they are currently paying.
Even a 50% increase would probably turn off many people.
Oh, you were talking (or posting) about the current customers, then there you have a point.

However, and I don't want to sound cold, but if losing the current customers does not hits the country club's bottom line, guess what? Those customers are lost.

-NALs

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
NALs said:
However, and I don't want to sound cold, but if losing the current customers does not hits the country club's bottom line, guess what? Those customers are lost.

-NALs
aegap said:
wouldn't be surprised if tees-offs double in 2006, or if tees-offs triple in 2007....

..for scarcity (real, perceived or otherwise) is the mother of Marketing and Economics...
I am commenting on this.:tired:

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Now realizing I was too ambiguous

Malibook said:
This would not surprise me but I would be surprised if most people would pay this much.
Such ridiculous price increases would turn off a lot of their customers.
Value is much more important than scarcity to me.:tired:

You can substitute "tee-offs" with "number of games played," which is what I meant by it.

My Bad

Last edited:

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
poetic...

that's where scarcity comes in.. ...price could then go up accordingly, ;) ...

....i.e., wouldn't be surprised if demand doubles or even triple within the next two years

...curve reaches equilibrium...Capiche, ..clair maintenant?

Last edited:

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
On Scarcity, Mothers, Marketing and Economics, and Price Elasticity

(one last crack at it) --->>

Mailbook, ...my last attempt... This is what I am trying to say,

--->>

people who never heard of playa grande will now want to come down and give it a try, in addition, regular players would want to get in as many games as possible before Playa Grande supposedly, ;) , goes private in 2008,

….hence, demand goes up, prices go up in order to accomondate max profits (the curves reach equilibrium)

Did I miss the mark again?
Can someon please be so kind as to clarify/elaborate/translate/explain/whatever on what I am trying to say?

...In regard to your last post - I propose to you the following escenario, ...if you were at the business end of it….would you rather sell 500 tee-offs at 100 or 1 membership at 50,000, per year both options?

i.e, … a Charlie Rose ..or a Fareed Zakaria, ....or 500 a hillbilly, :laugh:?

...Aman or Occidental?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Playa Grande master planners

-->></O:p

seven articles about hart howerton previous works

list of its other clients<O:p</O:p

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
aegap said:

(one last crack at it) --->>

Mailbook, ...my last attempt... This is what I am trying to say,

--->>

people who never heard of playa grande will now want to come down and give it a try, in addition, regular players would want to get in as many games as possible before Playa Grande supposedly, ;) , goes private in 2008,

?.hence, demand goes up, prices go up in order to accomondate max profits (the curves reach equilibrium)

Did I miss the mark again?
Can someon pleas be so kind as to clarify/elaborate on/translate/explayin/whatever on what I am trying to say?

...In regard to your last question I propose to you the following escenario...if you were at the business end of it?.would you rather sell 500 tee-offs at 100 or 1 membership at 50,000, per year both options?

:laugh:, i.e, ?500 a hillbilly or a Charlie Rose ....or a Fareed Zakaria? :laugh:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Playa Grande master planners

-->></O:p

seven articles about hart howerton previous works

list of other clients<O:p</O:p
Aegap,

Here is a tip with how to "deal" with DR1ers.

1. Make your case.

2. Let time prove you right.

;)

The bad thing of this is time, but once the time passes and what you say becomes apparent, well then your job is done.

Malibrook and all the others who might not understand or don't want to understand (I don't know which one is true) will eventually see what you are saying once the project takes off and such, if what you are saying is true.

I understood what you meant from the first post you posted regarding this, but what I don't know is if what you are saying is the strategy being used for the Playa Grande project. If so, it's a smart bet.

When people want something they think they can't have, the illusion becomes real and the price shoots for the skies.

-NALs

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
I?m not saying its their strategy. I?m merely commenting on what I?ve seen so far...

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
aegap said:
wouldn't be surprised if tees-offs double in 2006, or if tees-offs triple in 2007....
I took this as meaning the greens fee, not the number of rounds played.
Once you clarified this point, the point I made is that if the club could potentially triple the number of rounds being played, the absolute maximum current booking is 1/3.
A golf club that is less than 1/3 booked is probably charging too much.

I agree that there will be players who want to get some rounds in before the club goes private.

Where did I refer to any of the private club business that you and NALs are rambling on and on about?
I didn't say anything about the business model of the private club so why do you and NALs continue to feel the need to make such unrelated comments to me?:tired: :rolleyes:

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
quote=Malibook:The price should be coming down if they are less than 1/3 booked.:ermm:

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
aegap said:
quote=Malibook:The price should be coming down if they are less than 1/3 booked.
Is there a point to you posting this quote?

Are you implying that this quote is referring to the private club's business model?

This quote is referring to the current very low bookings rate of less than 1/3 capacity.:rolleyes:

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Time to Recapacitate

Will tell your tomorrow, if you are still inclined to, ;) ...

Last edited:

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
...and co.

Curry and Co.,

Head Master - Curry Boykin* (financed ~50% of the property's purchasing price)

(some) Founding Residents (The Posse Of High-Profile Pals) (~20, ~$1mill each)

<O:p</O:p
. Celerie Kemble (Married to Curry) – of Kemble Interiors Inc. and her family fame
. Moby* – of young people music and tea(ny) house fame
. Fareed Zakaria - of Newsweek and PBS' Foreign eXchange fame
. George Mueller* – of led lighting (Color Kinetics' soul founder) fame
. Richard Meier – of architecture fame
. Delio Gonzalez – of Merill Lynch and Dominican chaperoning fame
. Alex von Furstenberg - of fashion-world scion son fame<O:p</O:p
. Bronson van Wyck – of Van Wyck & Van Wyck (event planning) fame
. Lela Rose – of fashion designing fame
. Charlie Rose – of former CBS' 60 Minutes II correspondent, Bankers Trust (acquired by Deutche Bank) and now Emmy award winning journalist (Charlie Rose) fame
. Antonio Weiss – of Paris Review (former masthead, member of its board of directors) and now Lazard ('the world's preeminent advisory bank') fame<O:p</O:p
. Roberto Sella – of hedge-funding, Tuscan olive oil and Fork Restaurant fame
. Lorne Manly* – of journalism and NYT news editing fame
. Michael Novogratz – of hedge-fund managing, former President of Goldman Sachs Latin
America and now A Principal of Fortress Investment Group fame
. Greg Maffei – of Oracle CFO, former Microsoft CFO, Chairman of Expedia, now of Liberty Media CEO and Starbucks Board of Directors fame
. A Rockefeller or two
*an admission board member
advertisement<O:p</O:p

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The papers are saying that the whole thing is still up in the air??

Could it be a ploy to boost price. I notice that it says that this is a deferred payment plan...so they get in, make a killing and get out? Sound fishy to me.

Anyone knowthe straight poop on this?

HB:D:D

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Hillbilly said:
The papers are saying that the whole thing is still up in the air??

Could it be a ploy to boost price. I notice that it says that this is a deferred payment plan...so they get in, make a killing and get out? Sound fishy to me.

Anyone knowthe straight poop on this?

HB:D:D

According to my sources, 'Utopia' for Playa Grande is not 'up in the air', on the contrary, it is firmly grounded. The main promoter for the project is Mr Delio Gonzalez...

-

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
think outside the box

Hillbilly said:
So it is your feeling that Herb Kohler is in back of this? That would be a major imporvement and certainly not take the course into a private country club-like situation.
Kohler is a golf nut and would really push PG...all the better. Hopefully, he would also assist the local golfers (hint, hint there Herb) to play his course.

Let's see how this plays out. Lots of new courses coming on line over the next three years...we won't lack for places to play.

HB :D:D

Lets say five years from now Curry decides he wants to dedicate more time to his family. While still keeping a vacation home in DR, he decides to get rid off some of his other responsibilities, divest himself of some of his holding. He sales Playa Grande to a new "entity" (a person/holding/company, etc.,) ...not necessarily Kohler, ..

...merely my speculation

think outside the box

Last edited: