Playero Sosua...bad experience

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
@ Ken...

I heard the rumor that you can go to the office and ask them to stock certain products, and that they will do so. Do you know whether this is true?

BelgianK

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Is 80 pesos's an issue ? If it is, there is a bigger issue. I give that to the shoeshine kid in the parking lot.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
@ Ken...

I heard the rumor that you can go to the office and ask them to stock certain products, and that they will do so. Do you know whether this is true?

BelgianK

They have asked in the past what products people wanted so I am sure they are interested and have obviously stocked many of what was requested. Whether they stock everything, I don't know.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
The problem with Playero is that it is Dominican owned and Dominican run. Enough said..............

Please remind me what country I live in as I am sure that when I last came through customs it said 'Welcome to the Dominican Republic'

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
I go to Playero 3 -4 times a week. I have noticed a few new items which are welcome like cottage cheese and wheat thins which I appreciate.

Two of the guys at the deli side are friendly. The deli mgr has gotten something I requested in.

I never realized that the men looking stern throughout the store were security until this thread. I usually just ask them to get items I can't reach or tell them when an item I usually get is not there and ask when it will be. Now it makes sense why they look so bothered by my questions and so angry. I really just try to get in and out of Playero as fast as possible. It is not a welcoming place.

I always say hello with a smile to the cashiers and some respond in kind and some don't. It's real clear they are not happy. I stopped saying Gracias to them when they give me my change unless they say it first. I have never seen the female owner/mgr on the floor, in fact never knew they had one. I do see people sitting in the office.

The mgr sets the tone and it's not always about what someone is paid. If Playero wants to be able to compete when La Sirena comes to Sosua the mgr should go on the floor and change the atmosphere starting with the security and most of the cashiers. I go to La Sirena once a month and the cashiers are friendly and happy like in McDonalds. They also don't have obvious men with attitude watching customers. Come to think of it, I usually see happy, helpful staff on the floor at La Sirena. I've never seen security within the store only at the entrance.

One last thing at La Sirena you get points if you pay with cash or credit. At Playero it's only if
you pay in cash. I always thought why have a program then?

Last edited:

Dafishguy

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
My wife and I both smoke. Yes, I know... not smart but hey it is our only vice. Anyway, I was very surpirsed when I went to the cigarette counter on my last two visits and was told that I had to pay for my cartons there and could no longer just put them in my cart and pay for them along with the rest of my purchases. I pay with Credit Card so using it twice is a bit of a pain in the butt.

Anyway, so what I do now is go to the check out and grab 20 single packs of cigarettes out of thier display. It is inconvenient for me, for the people behind me and for the staff that now have to restock the display. I fully understand the need for security and for their desire for not getting ripped off but why are they worried with all their security they have there and that a regular customer needs to be inconvenienced in this way.

I guess we'll just quit smolking then. Problem solved. Seriously, could the onwership please explain this "New Rule" to me? It is damned inconvenient.

Thanks and take care,

Rick

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
My wife and I both smoke. Yes, I know... not smart but hey it is our only vice. Anyway, I was very surpirsed when I went to the cigarette counter on my last two visits and was told that I had to pay for my cartons there and could no longer just put them in my cart and pay for them along with the rest of my purchases. I pay with Credit Card so using it twice is a bit of a pain in the butt.

Anyway, so what I do now is go to the check out and grab 20 single packs of cigarettes out of thier display. It is inconvenient for me, for the people behind me and for the staff that now have to restock the display. I fully understand the need for security and for their desire for not getting ripped off but why are they worried with all their security they have there and that a regular customer needs to be inconvenienced in this way.

I guess we'll just quit smolking then. Problem solved. Seriously, could the onwership please explain this "New Rule" to me? It is damned inconvenient.

Thanks and take care,

Rick

If this small inconvenience makes you quit smoking, you owe Playero thousands of dollars and priceless years of your life! I might even start going there again knowing they helped you out like this.