Poor road conditions and a million ''potholes!

mikey007

Bronze
Aug 19, 2005
potholes in juan dolio adjacent to multi million dollar projects what a disgrace the govt shoud institute a work project program for the unemployed in dr to repair the roads and infrastructure is lazinesss a factor here

Kemo

Nov 2, 2006
Just don't take the Major Deegan without a 4x4 to make your point; else your kidneys will do the talking at the Doc's office... LOL!!!

And don't get me started on mid and lower Manhattan!!!!
LOL!!!!

Yes, most of what you said rings a bell here and there...

But to me it's more about maintenance!!!
They lack it 100%...

They just did I-4 here in Downtown Orlando and just this past month, we had some nasty potholes that felt like they got a thing for my car...
Sometime later on the week, we had to bitch a little as we slowed for repairs crew, again! But this time it was a quick patch job...

Need I say more?

Come on? Pichardo I-4 orlando, roads in Florida by any standard are superior to roads i have seen around the world. The turnpike is great 1-95 is pretty much fixed in all the state 1-75 is beautiful come on!!! so you live in Orlando and you are defending the roads in the D.R. Puerto rico has much better roads than the D.R and comparing it to Florida they are Crapped!!!!!! What a forumer is saying is completely true the right aggregates and compaction for State roads in Florida are for life spans of 20 years in the D.R the put it like gravel with very poor drainage so pot holes form every day. SEOPC of the dominican Republic budget is probably 20% of what the budget in Orange or Osceola counties have to fixed county roads???????? There is no comparison we are comparing a motoconcho to a Ferrari??????

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
They lack it 100%...

They just did I-4 here in Downtown Orlando and just this past month, we had some nasty potholes that felt like they got a thing for my car...
Sometime later on the week, we had to bitch a little as we slowed for repairs crew, again! But this time it was a quick patch job...

Need I say more?

My point clearly sets on maintenance provided to the roads in the named places, not comparing one to the other...

So, if we were to use that yard stick to compare the pothole regularity in the DR to the same constant number of the ones created in NYC's many roads, it could be said that in NYC proper aggregates and compaction is not followed unlike in FL???

I made my point clear that poor maintenance plays the major role in the conditions by which pot holes take over in DR's roads...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
They lack it 100%...

Need I say more?

My point clearly sets on maintenance provided to the roads in the named places, not comparing one to the other...

So, if we were to use that yard stick to compare the pothole regularity in the DR to the same constant number of the ones created in NYC's many roads, it could be said that in NYC proper aggregates and compaction is not followed unlike in FL???

I made my point clear that poor maintenance plays the major role in the conditions by which pot holes take over in DR's roads...

Sorry Pichardo, the majority potholes in the DR are cause by poor base preparation - agian I am a civil engineer and this is my job to know this.

Sure some major roads will actually have the base prepared well, but the majority of the roads fail because of poor preparation.

Also, as I have lived in Orlando and now live in the DR in Santiago, there is no comparison - I just hope my jipeta will make it 5 years here. :)

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
Ahhhh! An Expert at last! I have a question....the road west of POP before Maimon...the cages with the rocks where the road has washed out....what are they doing exactly? THANKS

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Ahhhh! An Expert at last! I have a question....the road west of POP before Maimon...the cages with the rocks where the road has washed out....what are they doing exactly? THANKS

The road has problems washing out so they rebuilding it. First they fill the dirt and and compact it hopefully and than they place the rocks in the cages on the face or surface to protect the fill dirt from being washed out by rain.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The road has problems washing out so they rebuilding it. First they fill the dirt and and compact it hopefully and than they place the rocks in the cages on the face or surface to protect the fill dirt from being washed out by rain.
What about when the put those caged rocks on the side of the road on a cliff? I see that all over, especially on mountain roads.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
What about when the put those caged rocks on the side of the road on a cliff? I see that all over, especially on mountain roads.

This is to prevent erosion. This is used in some semi arid areas of the States, but is used here because it is a maintenance free way to stabilize a fill embankment as opposed to grass, which needs to be cut frequently.

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
Now THAT is laughable!!
The ?rock gardens?on the POP Santiago highway have been being built for years..
At least two years...I am not saying that I don?t like the scenery(like my spelling?),
but this project in the States would've ben done long ago. Not that I reallt care, my dirtbike gets through anything, but to debate which is better, US or DR road standards is pretty funny. The main difference to me is a whole lot less trafifcs tops and a bunch more fun....and a reststop wherever I like...