POP Break in

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I couldn't agree with you all more!!! I am distancing myself from the situation completely! It isn't my problem and I am not making it mine.

On a personal level I have met many nice people here from all economic levels. HOWEVER, I know to associate with those closer to my own socio economic level! Can you trust all of those - heck no! But you have a much better chance of having an association of equals with real conversation and actually having something in common. AND they don't have their hands in my pockets! Well at least not for money...LOL

I do hope she gets her act together and sees what is going on. BUt, I don't expect it. She is a very typical needy female who gets a lot of attention here - where she got none back home in Canada.

The old saying applies: if it seems to good to be true - it is too good to be true! This applies to relationships as well as everything else in life!

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
Ditto to what AZB said

When I am away the only people who take care of my house are canadian friends who I have known for years, a lawyer friend from Puerto Plata and college friends from Santiago that I have known for 10 years. When Papa Felipe was my neighbor I knew he would watch over everything too.

If I was in the States I would not trust someone I met just 2-3 months ago, why would I trust someone I met in the DR just 2-3 months ago - that would be stupid.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Absolutely AJ, why do people trust others after just 2 months??? I don't understand this at all!

Unfortunately this young lady is still in a state of complete and utter denial! IT is quite sad actually.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Great idea - just they got her computer tooo.....LOL

I'm simply going to walk away from the situation. It really isn't worth any more of my time or energy.....

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Oh boy!!

planner said:
Some background info: she has been sharing an apartment with a Dominican man for the last 2 months. They have known each other 12 months. For the last few weeks they have had some problems.

The boyfriend returned to the apartment after 5: 30 am to find the door ajar and items missing.

The police were contacted etc. Her boyfriend's only concern was that he not be blamed!!! He insisted they would all blame him, as he has keys. He seemed to be oblivious to the fact that she coud have been killed. I also have keys but no one looked at me!

I am telling this story to warn people. My opinion: she was set up by the boyfriend!

Being naive and trusting is one thing! Putting yourself in danger is quite another.

IT IS AN INSIDE JOB!!!

I am concerned for my friend who doesn't want to see what is going on. Don't worry I took my own steps, changed my locks immediately. She has a set of my spare keys in case of emergency and he has had access to them.

The car has now been found but the rest of the items are gone. I will post more information as it comes available!
The first inclination is to suspect the boyfriend. I, for one, will not rule him out but you also said yourself that she is very trusting. She sure is very, very trusting to be sharing an apartment for 2 months with someone that she met 12 months ago. How well did she knew this man?.

She can count her blessing that she got her car back and I hope that she get some of ther other things but it's not likely. Nothing happened to her and that is all that matters at this time since everything else can be replaced. Since you are her friend, talk some senses into her and have her change her locks and if she refuses, then do it for her. And this time, DO NOT MAKE A KEY FOR THE "BOYFRIEND", or anybody else, since she is so trusting!!!!.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Miguel you and I know people like that will never listen and never learn. Planner has said she is distancing herself from this person.

Now Chris has started another thread that maybe you can give us some hints on. Not that the sankie 101 isn't informative but maybe 10 simple signs to watch for.

Thanks

http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37353

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I can't and won't make anyone do anything. I am thru babysitting. She is an adult and makes her own choices. I have given her advice, I try to lead by example and that is all I can do. Iam not responsible for her!!!

I know Miguel you mean well, but sometimes people just need to learn their own lessons....

I will check out that other thread Anna...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Lets Give The MEN Equal Time Here!!!!!

I know lots of foreign men,some friends of mine,that have also been "taken" for lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ by their Dominican girlfriends!
Everytime this guy I know used to give his girlfriend money to pay for her "sick mother",she would always return a few minutes later,blouse torn,saying that she had been robbed while waiting for the taxi! Her would comfort her,and give her more money!Another friend woke up at 4 am to find his girlfriend with the hotel safe open taking out money.He had suspected that she was stealing,because he was always missing money from the safe.Another found money missing everytime he took a shower.Sad news it,they are ALL still with thses same women!!And you talk about women!!
When I was very young,I was traveling Southeast Asia. In Thailand,I met an 18 year old kid from the "States".He was at breakfast at a beach hotel in Pattaya Thailand.He was crying that he had been robbed of all his cash,about 2,000 dollars! All the money for his trip. He met a "Beach Girl".she spent the night with him.She "warned" him to take all his clothes out of his backpack,put his cash on the bottom,and put all his clothes back on top.That way a thief would never find it!When he awoke in the morning,she was gone,and so was all his money.There was a small razor blade cut in the bottom of his backpack where she had neatly removed his cash!
There are both male and female thieves,and male and female suckers!Its just that the male thieves tend to be violent,and use intimidation to get what they want,when their "charm" starts to wear thin,and female thieves tend to be more neferious in their dealings with ignorant men!

PS,I ALWAYS wondered why "AZB" wore that flea collar???!!! ;)

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
When I first moved to Santo Domingo, I was sharing an apartment with my dad who would come up only on weekends. I decided to spend the Christmas holidays back home. So not to leave it empty during the week, my dad had a friend of his (foreigner) staying there the 3 weeks I was gone. The first week he hired a guy to clean the apartment and left him with the keys so he could do the job while he was at work. Well, he did the job all right! Very nice and clean, NOTHING WAS LEFT, not even the clothes hangers. I was left with absolutely nothing but my winter clothes. Years later in another apartment, I hired a taxi driver to drive me to and from work. Well it was easy for him to realize that my place was empty all day. When I came home they had force the metal doors and were only able to get away with small things, thank god! But the most sick thing I ever seen or heard of was left behind; the F**** had left a 4lb ?poopoo? on my floor! I was later told that some thieves use that as their trade mark?. Lovely? One thing to watch out for; most of the time it?s an inside job, so never give to much information or completely give your trust to a stranger or to people you have know for a short while, even boyfriends/girlfriends! Now for the security of my house, I got myself a boxer and to tell you the true, it works perfectly in keeping people away and I rather have to pick up her poop, than the thief?s! :tired:

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
Planner - perhaps you could give your a print out of this? Anonomously if need be, although some people, as discussed truly are too blind to see the forest for the trees.

I have had my wallet ripped off once, and only once, at a retaurant here in Toronto, and believe me, it will never happen again unless at gunpoint.

Never been ripped off in DR. Some people are just way too trusting, desperate and naive.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I won't bother to give her a printout of all this, she wouldn't read it anyway. No she will have to grow up all by herself now.....

IT just amazes me that people can be so needy that they cannot see what is right in front of their eyes.

As for changing the locks and not givinghim a key - she still lives with this jerk!!!

ME - I changed my locks and I am getting a dog!!! Damn soon too.....

Kiwicanuck

Dec 4, 2004
www.kiwicanuck.com
planner said:
ME - I changed my locks and I am getting a dog!!! Damn soon too.....

Can I send you my Resume for the 'dog' position please Planner. Would it include all food and drinks ? Would I be allowed off leash at times ? Would I be allowed any female 'dog' friends at times ? would I get to sleep on the end of your bed ?

You got the picture, its presently minus 25 and a foot of snow up here, "I'll do anything, promise.

P.S. I forgot, I don't have flies, lol.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Application process

Well Kiwi - let's see if you can get thru the application process!!!! It is very very stringent!!! OF course it would include all food and drink, sorry no female dog friends, don't want little doggies. IT would include serious amounts of adoration, begging, maybe some drooling......

I can forward the application anytime honey.....LOL