Possible Relocation

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
@CFA123 You're right. 500US is not enough to run a thriving household.

You do realize that was your original question? $19k pesos is US$500.

My life, my experiences motivate me to have a worldly education and to allow my son the same opportunity. I posted the question to create dialogue about my uncertainties....not to have my motivations questioned. Thank you!

I still think it's relevant.
If you're primarily seeking a cultural experience, "thriving" will be more easily obtained without a big salary... if your motivation is to enjoy a tropical paradise in a manner approaching anything near a North American middle class standard, then "thriving" would take a lot more than your RD$19000/month.

Anyhow, I consider myself duly chastised & will crawl back under my rock.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
@Chip...I really don't fall into the category of your "typical" westerner. I visited Santo Domingo last year and used the bare minimum. I can honestly say it was one of the greatest experiences of my life and I would trade this rushed, confusing lifestyle here in the US for that any day...but I do understand what you're saying. Thanks!

While you may be fluent in Spanish, if you can't pass as a Dominican from the North you will stand out especially in a tourist area such as POP and therefore will be difficult to get decent prices for things as you will be expected to pay more. I would recommend in the beginning you buy at supermarkets with a scanner until you know what costs what. Also, from what I've seen, people that make RD18k a month generally pay no more than RD6k a month so if you could work out a free apartment with them and free schooling for a kid it looks doable. Granted, you will not be more than likely able to go to a private health clinic and the public ones are slow but all the better if you can negotiate a health plan with the school. Furthermore, I would recommend you research prices for costly items like furniture or appliances here on DR1 and be wary of Dominicans taking an interest in helping you get the best prices UNLESS they are (Good People who) who go to church regularly. Of course the best way to meet these types is to go to church. :)

Finally, you will need to really stay away from imported foods but buy local goods and be prepared to eats lots of the bandera and vivere. A few sandwiches are in the cards too if you are willing to eat pan de agua and jamon picnic. Suerte.

Last edited by a moderator:

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
I am guessing which school offered you this because my friend interviewed there as well and was offered about 100 dollars more, but she also had two kids in tow, and when she thought about it she realized it was an impossible salary for an unconnected, non fluent American to work with....

kestephens

Mar 23, 2008
After reviewing the comments posted it is a million percent clear that I should not take this position. In my gut I knew this already but I just needed the extra push in the right direction. I've gained many useful tips that I will continue to use throughout the job application process. Without all of your help I would have probably been roped into a sticky situation sooner or later.

I only spent time in Santo Domingo so I can't say how I will be received in other areas...but after about the first day or so...I blended really well. I quickly learned how to negotiate, how to eat for cheap and things of that nature. So I didn't really stick out as a "country girl" from NC. :classic:

Once again thank each and every one of you for your input!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
So I didn't really stick out as a "country girl" from NC. :classic:

Once again thank each and every one of you for your input!

i'm glad to help. One thing though, if you don't look and speak like the locals you will stand out(for example people in the North make fun of the people in the South). Furthermore, while you may look Dominican if you live for any length of time everybody will know you are a "gringa" because this is a social society and people spend a lot of time talking about other people in the neighborhood. This isn't necessarily a bad thing as I'm a "gringo" and everybody knows that here within a mile or two of my house. The problem is getting established and people know your not just here on a whim as opposed to seeing you as a tourist and expecting you to pay more for goods and service than anyone else, especially in the tourist areas. Nonetheless, Dominicans are very social and love to talk and this brightens the day and makes it go by quick if you are so inclined but unfortunately are prone to really exaggerated prejudices about the ability (or willingness :) )of all gringos to pay more that the going market rate.

Los Lobos

Mar 8, 2011
Nope!!! I just got back from DR specifically Santo Domingo for 2 weeks. I went to the store Ole and bought a flat of eggs two packs of meat a tub of butter and 2 2 liters of cola oh and a bar of soap. 1080 pesos and this was just for one dinner and a couple of breakfasts. Best value I have found is Pica Pollo. 5 pieces of chicken and fries/platino for 150 pesos. I think a bare min budget would be 1000 pesos a day or min 30,000 a month and thats just to get on daily activities.