President Abinader: DR will not take part in military intervention in Haiti

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Luis-Abinader-La-Semanal-Listin-Diario-1024x574.png

President Luis Abinader confirmed during the 13 May 2024 press conference (La Semanal) that his government will only provide humanitarian assistance in health services as part of the multinational effort to restore peace in Haiti. The United States, Caricom and Kenya are leading the process to restore order to Haiti.

President Abinader clarified that the Dominican Republic in no way would provide any military support, in answering to the question of the Washington Post correspondent in Colombia.

With the collapse of the health system in Haiti given the many assaults by the gangs on hospitals in Haiti, the DR has taken on the burden of offering increased free medical services to the Haitian population in the Dominican Republic. Upwards of 35% of births in Dominican public hospitals are to Haitian women. Several hospitals (Los Minas and La Altagracia in Santo...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: Sylindrcostambar

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Did I read this wrong or has the DR been pandering to the international community for years for help with the Haitian invasion and now, election season, Abinader won't participate in the very issue for which he solicited help so desperately?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Did I read this wrong or has the DR been pandering to the international community for years for help with the Haitian invasion and now, election season, Abinader won't participate in the very issue for which he solicited help so desperately?
The DR was never going to take part in the actual process of invading Haiti and killing gang members.

But, yes, help was asked for from the International community because the DR suffers because of the Haitian situation.

Now it seems that 200 Kenyans will soon die in that effort.

Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
The DR was never going to take part in the actual process of invading Haiti and killing gang members.

But, yes, help was asked for from the International community because the DR suffers because of the Haitian situation.

And the US will foot the bill. Thanks American tax payers!

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
Doesn't want Pravda on the Hudson and other rags painting DR as the evil oppressor.

Reactions: Naked_Snake

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Luis made the right call.
Seal the border and let the chips fall where they may.
He’s smart enough to know nothing positive will happen in the short term in Haiti and something temporary may happen over the long term. He doesn’t want the DR military to get mired down in a costly long drawn out intervention and occupation. The potential cost and loss of DR military lives would generate significant political backlash from the other DR parties. They’re waiting for him to make a major mistake that would paralyze his party for the next four years and guarantee the return of the old guard, corruption and all. The upcoming four years is his last time as President and he doesn’t want his legacy tainted.

He has to define his countries boundaries so the UN understands their boundaries and they don’t pressure the DR to take on their responsibilities. Otherwise, the UN will download as much of the intervention shite as possible on the DR. He‘s politically wise to hold the UN’s feet to the fire.

Sealing the border is impossible and just holding it will require significant DR military resources. Resources he can’t afford to send to Haiti. The DR has many problems of its own he has to resolve and the last thing he needs is a major bleed of Haitian refugees at the border.

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
DR is too closely related to Haiti... Being involved in the proposed armed forces action that may take place in Haiti would open the door to cross-border hostilities.

Who here would want to get involved with a nasty dispute between a husband and wife living next door, and with whom you've been in a friendly, or bad blood, relationship for years?

I doubt the DR was ever on the list of possible participants in the Haiti armed forces effort. Nothing would be gained for either DR or Haiti, and all know it.

The right thing is being done by offering health services assistance... And will earn the DR more positive points for providing aid in this way.

Abinader seems to be a very mature statesman.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Abinader seems to be a very mature statesman.
Definitely the right man for the right time. Great business smarts, good political acumen, and tact. His previous pleas to the UN fell on deaf ears but they’re listening now.

Reactions: colmcb

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
As election season is rolling, no one in the Abinader camp wants to move forward with the financial responsibility that would be associated with participating in the Haitian solution. Not overlooking, in the same hand, sending Dominican forces into a slaughter, which would also be a highly unpopular move at this time.

Hey, as long as the US is footing the bill, may as well let them handle it. No es mi problema! 😂😂😂

Reactions: johne

Big

Apr 24, 2019

How will 200 Kenyans die ?

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I bet the moment that one Kenyan is shot, the gangs are immediately going to regret it happened. Things will get real very quickly.
I can't even begin to fathom what you have based that opinion on. Isn't that what they said about the VC? There's this book, you know, not sure but I vaguely recall it as "The Art of War" -Sun Tzu where I'm not sure but the first words of the first page I'm not sure read don't underestimate your enemy 😒but I'm not sure

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I bet the moment that one Kenyan is shot, the gangs are immediately going to regret it happened. Things will get real very quickly.
You mean the other 199 Kenyans will be dead quickly? And they will feel sorry about that for some reason?

Big

Apr 24, 2019
You mean the other 199 Kenyans will be dead quickly? And they will feel sorry about that for some reason?
Another topic you clearly have zero knowledge about. Military applications and deployments. Stick with overstaying tourist cards, playing keyboards and water supply in Cabarete

Reactions: MoJoInDR

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Another topic you clearly have zero knowledge about. Military applications and deployments. Stick with overstaying tourist cards, playing keyboards and water supply in Cabarete
Let us see how quickly the Kenyans are killed or leave Haiti and then we will see, won't we?

I will stick to whatever I like.... Haiti won't be fixed.

Reactions: Squat