Presidente "part deux"

love da DR

Aug 1, 2002
Oh boy I'm in trouble now I know it.

Sorry to open an other wise closed wound but two things come to mind that I don't believe have been mentioned.

1. has anyone explored the shelf life of Presidente in the US as opposed to the DR? Does it not stand to reason that the Presidente in the DR would most likely sell faster in the DR than the Presidente that is exported to the US? This brings me to another point for consumption of beer is the per capita higher in the US or the DR?

This is killing me especially since I have sworn off all consumption of alcoholic beverages, 2.does Presidente have a non-alcoholic version?

PS- this post was not meant to restart the previous debate on this subject.

Isaac

Last edited:

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
it taste different to me.

I did some research and it seems that it is imported from DR.

Robert and PIb have mentioned that they know how it works and I guess PIb has taken a tour from what I gather.

love da DR

Aug 1, 2002
right but stick with the thrust of this post

Again I maintain that perhaps the differnece has to do with the shelf life/freshness of the beer in the US.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I noticed recently that PM sold a large portion of Miller to SAB (South African Brewing I think) to focus on making a better name for themselves from "Kraft." E. Leon Jimenez has been a subsidiary of PM since 1969, according to some of my research. But I couldn't find the connection between E. Leon Jimenez, Cervezeria Nacional and Presidente beer.

Love da DR,
I'm agreeing with you on that shelf life thing...

Living in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin area, I sent Miller an e-mail about availability of Presidente here. I received a cordial response directing me to my distributor.
How did they know?

mk (looking forward to that cold one over Christmas - only as far as Key Largo...)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The "conneccion" is this;

E.Leon Jimenez,used to own Cerveceria National(where Presidente is brewed) before he sold to Miller,PM!My best friend from high school worked there,CN,for about 5 years.I have been there many times.Miller calls the shots,and funded the continuing expansion to be able to export Presidente.To the credit of Miller,most of the leadership is still Dominican.All the construccion is done by foreign companies with dominican labor.It is to Miller's US standards!CRISCO

G

George V

All this Pis.... and moaning, doesn't Presidente taste like beer, work like beer and accomplish the same goals as most beer in the World?

Damm stupid arguments some people can promulgate

Criss, check your PM's

love da DR

Aug 1, 2002
George V said:
All this Pis.... and moaning, doesn't Presidente taste like beer, work like beer and accomplish the same goals as most beer in the World?

Damm stupid arguments some people can promulgate

Well Georgy,

I am a little confused if (some) people are damn stupid for promulgating this argument, what does that make you since you are now promulgating their argument?

Isaac, one step closer to promulgating myself to the Dominican Republic. lol lol lol

Apr 26, 2002
Nothing More Important

There's nothing more important than beer, and Presidente is a uniquely pleasing one for hot climates. This thread should be continued.

Here's what I know. A few years ago, Dominican tobacco giant Leon Jimenez purchased the Cerveceria Nacional, maker of Presidente and Bohemia. Also until recently, Presidente was distributed in the USA by Bartlett Importers.

Now Presidente's distribution in the USA has been taken over by Miller and has been greatly expanded.

Also, there is a reference in the Philip Morris (owner of Miller) Annual Report to PM's ownership of an overseas "National Brewery", though no country is specified.

To make matters even more complicated, PM recently announced that Miller will be sold to South African Breweries.

My hypothesis: Leon Jimenez quietly sold the Presidente brand to PM and that this was not loudly announced because PM wants people to think that Presidente is still Dominican-owned.

This is consistent with practices in the industry. Over the past few years, both of the famous irish whiskys, Bushmill's and Jameson's, were quietly acquired by French distilled spirits giant Pernod Ricard (it owns the Wild Turkey brand in the USA, also). It's not easy to find that out, because Irish Americans might feel different about drinking them if they knew they were French-owned.

I would like to see the question put directly to the people at the Presidente brewery in Santo Domingo: What is the ultimate parent company of Presidente?

Last edited:

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
And by "the people at the Presidente brewery in Santo Domingo" do you mean that you want us to ask Mr. Menicucci? or Don Eduardo Le?n himself? or would you take the word of a middle management employee with 11 years in the company?

If the latter, take my word: it is a joint-venture.

Apr 26, 2002
Okay, Pib, I'll take your word for it. But that leaves me with three more questions: When did the joint venture begin? Is the "joint venture" 50/50? In other words, is Presidente 50% Dominican-owned (and soon to be 50% South African-owned)? Not all joint ventures are 50/50. Also, is Leon Jimenez tobacco (Marlboro, Nacional, etc.) also a joint venture with PM?

The speed and accuracy of your response will determine whether I begin to advise people to drink Quisqueya.

Apr 26, 2002
Top Secret

So are we to conclude that the question of whether Presidente is majority Dominican-owned will remain a guarded secret? Should we begin saying about Quisqueya that "it's swill, but at least it's our swill"?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
All I can tell you is what I know from people that work at Presidente, supply Presidente, have toured Presidente or have friends or relatives that work for Presidente (did I cover all the bases?).
Presidente is a "partner" with Miller, no idea of the split.
Presidente "control" 99% of the DR beer market, if they don't bottle it or own it, they import it. Yes, including Quisqueya.
The beer in the US is the "exact" same as the beer bottled here, same line, just new bottles and a different label for export.

Apr 26, 2002
Relajate

Relajate, Robert, I know that you know people. And I know that the export beer is the same (though it's taste may suffer from the temperature changes involved in travel).

I'm still curious about the nature of the joint venture. And now I'm curious about Quisqueya. Couldn't Quisqueya be the 1% that's not controlled by the CN? Lord knows I don't know anyone who drinks it!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Quisqueya take second place ribbon in the Cibao Beer Festival!!

It came in just behind "Horse ****"!!!CRISCO........ps.Robert,can't we please say "****",(WeeWee)? If SHIT "passes" why can't the **** flow?I would much rather step in some cow ****,than some cow shit!!!

Last edited:

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
As far as I know, Popi Berm?dez et al. still own Cervercer?a Vegana. Not that it really matters, it is almost dead, their biggest selling product I think are Soberana and Malta India. I have heard that it is for sale, so if you are interested you can cough up a few million pesos and make your own beer. Rumor has it that E.L.J. wants to buy it, (or is in the process) I have no idea if it is true. If it is not I would assume that the first bidder will be guess-who?

Barcel? & Cia. are also producing beer by the barrels. Some ex-employees of E.L.J. are now working for them.

What I KNOW: Presidente is produced and bottled in the DR. There is only one Presidente beer. Miller (and whoever owns Miller right now) are almost equal partners with E.L.J. in the tobacco and beer business.

Who's on top of who, and who controls who, and the exact percentage I have no idea. That you'd have to ask the big bosses there. I couldn't add anymore cause I don't know anymore...

There you have it. Dominican beer trivia. Now... I want my prize :)

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2002
And Your Prize Is

If it's not majority Dominican-owned, then I'll just go back to drinking Iron City Light.

Pib, your prize is a Bohemia Especial and a medio Nacional. I'll even make the beer a grande. Since you make them, I'm sure you'll enjoy them. Sorry, I can't afford the Presidente or the Marlboro.

Truth be told, I'd probably continue drinking Presidente even if you told me it was 50% owned by the Khmer Rouge. But I'm beginning to find the complete inability of anyone to come up with the facts on percentage ownership to be most curious.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Can I settle for a Malta India (or Malta Morena). I am a lousy drinker and I don't smoke. And no, I don't work for a beer/tobbaco manufacturer. I work for the biggest, most important manufacturer of Bolitas Adivinadoras? in the world.