PRM sweeps municipal elections

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Resultados-Elecciones-2024-JCE-Diario-Libre-1024x451.png

The municipal elections to choose 158 mayors nationwide were for the most part eventless, both during the campaign and on election day, Sunday, 18 February 2024.

The Central Electoral Board (JCE) closed the vote at 5pm on Sunday, as had been announced. The first bulletin was issued at 8pm as announced, with 20% of the vote counted. From the start, it looked like a sweep of the candidates backed by the ruling Modern Revolutionary Party (PRM) in almost all of the most populated municipalities of the country.

As of the 10:30pm JCE bulletin, with 70% of the vote in, the PRM candidates were clear winners in 119 of the 158 municipalities.

In the 2020 municipal election, the party had gained 113 of the 158 mayoralties. This 2024, the first vote counts indicate the PRM will increase its hold on city governments. As of Sunday at around midnight, the party was...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Looks like it's going to be a landslide for Abinader. I wonder if Leonel Fernandez will finally pipe down if he loses (again) this time?

Reactions: Big

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The new mayor of Cabarete is the old mayor of Cabarete. But he changed parties to the PRM before the vote.
I guess he saw the writing on the wall.

How about Sosua?

I don't think there is any doubt Abinader will be re-elected.

• Sad
Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
The new mayor of Cabarete is the old mayor of Cabarete. But he changed parties to the PRM before the vote.

How about Sosua?

I am pretty sure it is Willy "El Chamo" with some other smaller supporting parties

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Thanks for the above. Willy is another outlier on the PRM decimation of their foes in general.

Pikobello

Nov 12, 2020
Santo Domingo
Looks like it's going to be a landslide for Abinader. I wonder if Leonel Fernandez will finally pipe down if he loses (again) this time?
Well done PRM. And now the opposition is crying of all those things, what they do for 16 years when in power. Now we know what's coming up in May, the last nail in the coffin of PLD, well done Danilo, you make my day.

Reactions: MariaRubia

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
Great results for PRM with Abinader on the way for another term as President.

At lest the DR is capable of carrying out elections and capable of displaying results.
While the opposition may be crying, the election results are accepted as reality.

The corruption and incompetence of previous parties is documented history.

Reactions: windeguy and jd426

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
The biggest issue was the incredibly small turnout of voters. I hope they go back to doing elections once every 4 years and stop the nonsense of two separate elections.

• Wow
Reactions: windeguy and cavok

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

How about Sosua?

Municipal elections are much different than national elections.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The biggest issue was the incredibly small turnout of voters. I hope they go back to doing elections once every 4 years and stop the nonsense of two separate elections.
It is still every four years, for both municipal and national, they just aren't on the same date.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

At lest the DR is capable of carrying out elections and capable of displaying results.
While the opposition may be crying, the election results are accepted as reality.

Yep, one day to vote and for the most part the counting is done the same day.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

PLD won in Jarabacoa which traditional votes Reformista. Plenty of corruption in the current government.

Reactions: Kricke87

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
I
I don’t think there will be a big turnout at the presidential either. I don’t think the PRM and Abinader is particularly popular but there’s no alternative really.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I don’t think the PRM and Abinader is particularly popular but there’s no alternative really.
Abel Martinez has done a fantastic job with Santiago since taking office back in 2016 but unfortunately
he represents a party many people have come to despise over the last 20 years. The PLD had their chance(s)
and they blew it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Municipal elections are much different than national elections.
A mastery of the obvious is not needed for that conclusion, and agreed with one caveat: The PRM support was overwhelming and noted very well in the media.

And so are the poll numbers for President. Of course, there is time for that to change, but I don't see that happening.