Pro Consumidor (Customer Protection)

You have used Pro Consumidor?

• Yes and got the issue resolved.

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Yes, currently in the middle of a claim.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes and I didn't get the issue resolved.

• No, never felt the need to use it.

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • No, I don't trust government institutions.

• I had no idea that Pro Consumidor was a thing.

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
BBU5Ug.jpg

Many DR1ers may not be familiar with Pro Consumidor, the Dominican government's customer protection and customer rights institution.

Scammed?

Bought something that turn out to be damaged?

What you bought is not what you bought?

These are the guys to make a claim (though I think it's only doable in Spanish).

How effective is the institution in customer protection? Well, they have...

They announced to the public that they have found stores with false Black Friday sales claims and/or advertisements (claiming things have a lower sale price when they don't). They also penalized the stores they caught doing this.

They forced the closure of the Agua Buenas Nuevas water bottling plant for not following sanitary guidelines.

The forced the removal of up to 1,000 toys on sales that could harm children.

Pro Consumidor has resolved customer issues to the tune that customers got returns of RD$400 million from the stores they bought.

How to denounce a scam or make a claim at Pro Consumidor.

Their website:

Has any DR1ers used Pro Consumidor? How was the experience?

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
u66mmX.png

vs

u66yIn.png

On July 19, 2021 it was published that Proconsumidor orders Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Club to give back over US$380,000 to 28 costumers within 30 days. The issue arose because the 28 customers are members and were not able to take advantage of their membership when they attempted to make reservations and Lifestyle prevent them alleging there was no space available. They complained to Proconsumidor because as members that is not an excuse and the government institution is basically backing the customers.

Last edited:

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
Wow! (also in today’s DR1 news “Why tourism is so important to the Dominican Republic”)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Anyone wants to work for Pro Consumidor?

Pro Consumidor inspecting a restaurant.
780083CE-E67C-4EF1-AF7F-D31A296090B8.jpeg

Pro Consumidor inspecting the quality of Dominican beers. Notice the position of the mask. Ready for the qualifying test of each and every single beer on sale. lol
B73F7629-93DD-4E1C-9575-86F83B9B27F9.jpeg

He probably tells his buddies that he love his job. Yeah, love is the right word. lol