Problems at Banco Leon

Feb 7, 2007
Hi Rubio_Higuey,

I just got off the phone with them and they don't know squad!
They have no clue when we can pay with the Tarjeta Prepaga again.
I stand by my remark in my first message...incompetent dummies running the show!

Go exchange the plastic in the branch. I was confirmed the same information today by Internet Banking department.

Still not possible to recharge prepaid cards from your checking/savings accounts though.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
I am trying to do a payment on Ebay almost every 2 hours......nothing!

I am checking my Tarjeta via Internet-Banking almost every 2 hours....no message, no nothing!

If they only had the courtesy to let us know what is going on.......I suspect they have huge problems and as with everything in this country: the truth may never surface.

But hey! We still have 24/7 electricity here in Bavaro.....so we are extremely lucky!

Feb 7, 2007
Peterj, Don_pedro... did you go to Bano Leon branch to exchange your plastics as I wrote?

Banco Leon says that previously issued cards WILL NOT be working again. Ever.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Rubio_Higuey (closeby!)

Where did you get that info?
When I call them here they don't know sh**!

Can you do a payment now on the internet?

Anyway tomorrow-morning I will go....

Feb 7, 2007
Rubio_Higuey (closeby!)

Where did you get that info?
When I call them here they don't know sh**!

Can you do a payment now on the internet?

Anyway tomorrow-morning I will go....

Banco Leon Telephone Banking, and especially department of Internet Banking - since they deal with IT (and this has been all along IT problem) they are the most knowledgeable. 9am-5pm.

Payment on the Internet (as per my previous post) were not available yet and will be available "soon" - whatever that means.

Transfers among cards are still possible through online banking, just not between account-card and card-account.

Btw the exchnage of plastic should be made free of charge. I say should because they say it would, but when my card was canceled by them in all-batch-fraud cancellation about 2 months ago, I was told the same thing, but was charged 50 pesos replacement fee indeed.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I was with a Dominican friend in Sosua today who needed to fix his problems with the card at the local branch (as he was advised by Banco Leon customer service over the phone).

Step #1. Enter bank
Step #2. It will cost 50 pesos to get the card changed
Step #3. Argue about the 50 pesos
Step #4. Ok, but come back in 10-15 minutes. The cards just arrived and we have to inventory them
Step #5. Go back 45 minutes later to hear on entry 'psst... hey the guy with the card is back'
Step #6. Find out that they haven't inventoried the cards yet
Step #7. Find out system is down and they couldn't do new one anyway
Step #8. Took his money out in cash & closed account

Reactions: FernieBee

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
It is almost kind of funny if you read the post from CFA123...unfortunately it isn't!

Tomorrow-morning I will go there and I will see what BS will come my way.

It's amazing we even have running water (sometimes) and electricity (sometimes) in this country.....but we have a metro!!!

Feb 7, 2007
CFA123, that's not that much of a deal... when Leon closed my debit card and prepaid card as a preventive measure, I had to go to the branch 5 times in 3 different days to get my debit card coded and PIN working....

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
CFA123, that's not that much of a deal... when Leon closed my debit card and prepaid card as a preventive measure, I had to go to the branch 5 times in 3 different days to get my debit card coded and PIN working....

Didn't mean to make it sound like a major ordeal by local standards. He was just fed up at that point and closed the account. That part apparently the system could handle quickly.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
I made up my mind!
Steps to be taken this afternoon:
1. Enter Banco Leon (with a big smile)
2. Take my money of the Tarjeta Prepago and close the account (with a big smile)
3. Get my frustrations of the last 2 weeks out (in Dutch and still with a big smile)
4. Walk out and go 50meters to the right to BHD
5. Open an "open account" and deposit the money
6. Apply for the VISA Debit Card(which comes automatically with this account) and Bancasa (their internet-banking)
7. Go home and if I already have the new VISA debit card, I will add this to my Paypal-account and check how things are going
8. At last; have a cold one on the balcony and wait what the "BHD-future" will bring

Now, I have absolutely not the idea that BHD will be any different than Banco Leon but I have to do something to ease my mind. I'll keep you posted about the development.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I closed an account at Banco Le?n because they messed up badly on a minor transaction, which meant I couldn't trust them to get it right on any larger one. I was also annoyed at the long time they take to clear a US cheque, only to find that the bank I changed to (Reservas) takes even longer. "45 d?as laborables" WTF!?

Feb 7, 2007
I made up my mind!

6. Apply for the VISA Debit Card(which comes automatically with this account) and Bancasa (their internet-banking)

Caution! Most of VISA debit cards are for electronic use only. Ask to see a debit card first, if it reads Uso Electronico Solamente, it cannot be used for MO/TO/Internet transactions. Also, BHD's VISA that comes with accounts is for domestic use only.

Don Pedro

Apr 2, 2005
Tell us if BHD ripped you off as Leon did

PeterJ Hi,
let us know the exchange rate when you pay something in Us $ with your new BHD card.

With Banco Leon it's a ripp off.

Exemple :

They show on their own website

US $ compra 34 Us$ venta 35

You pay with you car a US$ invoice and they exchange you at 36.5

at the same minute on the other website page they show Us$ venta 35

Let us know the BHD exchange rate.

Thank you in advance.

P.
PS: Banco Leon card did not work today too.

Feb 7, 2007
No rip-off. It's called foreign exchange conversion fee. All banks around the world charge it, in the range of 2 - 4 % on top of the interbank exchange rate.

RD$ - US$ == 35:1 with a 3% conversion fee = 36

You won't be better off at BHD. You can be even worse off if they charge 4%.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Ok, I didn't go last friday, no time and definitely no ganas!

Friday-evening I discoverd a payment of my debit-card for something I bought via Internet, I was pleasantly surprised of course!

Today I heard somebody replaced the old card and could buy on Internet with Amazon....

So..tomorrow-morning I drag my ass to the bank and will change the debit-card, of course I have to pay but I don't care, if I start arguing with these $#%@$#@ it only gets worse!

I'll keep you informed...

Peter

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
So I went this morning to Banco Leon.
Changing the Tarjeta Prepago took exactly 5 minutes at no cost...

Could not believe it and hurried home; tried to make the payment on Ebay which I was waiting for 4 weeks now....it worked!!

Unbelievable!

So I am a happy camper again, only thing I don't understand is why they don't send an email to everybody or let everybody know via their website...

Feb 7, 2007
only thing I don't understand is why they don't send an email to everybody or let everybody know via their website...

I was getting lots of missed calls on one of my cells from a strange number.

I finally was available to answer. it was Banco Leon informing me about these prepaid cards change... 3 days after I got it changed.

Same happened when my debit card to my savings account was canceled, I got a call from them asking me to go change the card about a week after I had a new card in my hands.

Seems like they outsourced outbound calling to some callcenter, gave them the customer list & phone numbers... and that's it.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
No rip-off. It's called foreign exchange conversion fee. All banks around the world charge it, in the range of 2 - 4 % on top of the interbank exchange rate.

RD$ - US$ == 35:1 with a 3% conversion fee = 36

You won't be better off at BHD. You can be even worse off if they charge 4%.

In Vegas I was swiping an Scotiabank Card left and right and the rate was usually in accord of the current exchange market.