Professionally Qualified Personal Trainer & Yoga Instructor from the UK looking for work in Cabarete

andyankers

Jul 5, 2022
Dominican Republic
We are a couple from the North East of the UK (M36 and F27) who are currently residing in Cabarete and we are looking for work in the area!
We've really taken a liking for this area and we ideally want to try and find some work so that we can root here.
We would love to be working in fitness - as the title suggests - but we are also happy to take up any work needed in the hospitality industry, possibly within hotels / bars / restaurants as we both have several years worth of experience in management and customer facing roles

We have resumes available if there are any potential employers on here and we also have updated LinkedIn profiles

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Welcome to DR1. If either of you have a degree and a flexible schedule, online teaching is a decent source of income and can be done remotely from anywhere with reliable 25Mbps+ internet.

Have you tried asking at any of the hotels around Kite Beach?

Unfortunately, bigger hotels will hire the lesser qualified for a lower wage. That being said, good marketing goes a long way.

Best of luck to you.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Do you both have legal residency in the DR? It not, you cannot legally work here.

I would never recommend anyone from a developed nation to come here to work to be able to survive.
Wages are simply too low for that to be a pleasant situation.
Good luck to you on that.

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
Of course, you could always open your own place, or sublet, and/or teach yoga and provide personal training out of the local gyms and other establishments.

The online teaching thing is a great idea. I know people that make a good loving at it and you don't need to apply for residency that way....to be legal

At least you already arrived and are not still dreaming about it back home ;)

The DR is a great place to do your own thing! Don't let the naysayers get you down. there's nothing some here like better than to dissuade people from doing things that they were too afraid to do. There's millions of people traveling, working locally to help fund their travels, and living a more nomadic lifestyle.

As Nike once said, "JUST DO IT"

Reactions: NotLurking

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
We are a couple from the North East of the UK (M36 and F27) who are currently residing in Cabarete and we are looking for work in the area!
We've really taken a liking for this area and we ideally want to try and find some work so that we can root here.
We would love to be working in fitness - as the title suggests - but we are also happy to take up any work needed in the hospitality industry, possibly within hotels / bars / restaurants as we both have several years worth of experience in management and customer facing roles

We have resumes available if there are any potential employers on here and we also have updated LinkedIn profiles
If worst comes to worst and you and your significant other need to make some money to manage while you find the jobs you want, try getting a call center jobs from home. The pay isn't the best but with both of you working it's possible to make a livable wage to hold you over until you figure out something better to do. Good luck.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
If worst comes to worst and you and your significant other need to make some money to manage while you find the jobs you want, try getting a call center jobs from home. The pay isn't the best but with both of you working it's possible to make a livable wage to hold you over until you figure out something better to do. Good luck.
Will they be able to without a cedula?

Big

Apr 24, 2019
honestly, I don't think you will be able to make enough money to sustain even a modest beach life in Cabarete, unless you want an un-airconditioned room in the swamp and like rice and beans.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I was in Santo Domingo earlier this week. A nephew is working at a call center in Santo Domingo. He gets $4 US an hour dealing with people to try and sell them Medicare Advantage plans.
Will they be able to without a cedula?
If you work on line, then the DR government will not be aware of what you are doing. If you work on line for a non-DR country, they won't care if you have a cedula. The best salaries I have heard about are those that teach rich Chinese kids on line. The hours are a bit hard to deal with.

Some have said it is legal to work on line in the DR and not be a legal resident of the DR. I have no idea if that is true. A DR lawyer would have to respond on that.
honestly, I don't think you will be able to make enough money to sustain even a modest beach life in Cabarete, unless you want an un-airconditioned room in the swamp and like rice and beans.
That I certainly agree with based upon the OP. Yoga? Hmmm.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
I was in Santo Domingo earlier this week. A nephew is working at a call center in Santo Domingo. He gets $4 US an hour dealing with people to try and sell them Medicare Advantage plans.
If his spoken English and Spanish are perfect have him look into language line (live translations) he can make much more and if he has knows the jargon for paralegal, pharmaceutical, insurance, medical, government programs etc. he can make even more.

My advice was meant as a last resort while they wait for a job or figure things out. US$4 might not be much but between them they can earn ~US$1400 a month enough perhaps to augment their budget if running low on funds and ready to leave just yet. Many Dominican families live on much less. If they don't want to leave I think a young adventurous couple in an exotic caribbean island can manage on a shoe string budget for a few months.

drbcabarete

Oct 21, 2005
If his spoken English and Spanish are perfect have him look into language line (live translations) he can make much more and if he has knows the jargon for paralegal, pharmaceutical, insurance, medical, government programs etc. he can make even more.

My advice was meant as a last resort while they wait for a job or figure things out. US$4 might not be much but between them they can earn ~US$1400 a month enough perhaps to augment their budget if running low on funds and ready to leave just yet. Many Dominican families live on much less. If they don't want to leave I think a young adventurous couple in an exotic caribbean island can manage on a shoe string budget for a few months.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
there is a quite attractive girl in Cab. from the middle east seen all around town. She claims to be a financial adviser\real estate consultant. She must be doing very well as I see her popping in and out of various hotels and condo. with older gentleman.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
His English is probably not good enough. But he is a hard worker and that will improve over time.
Understood. I hope they did not abandon what they have in their home country.

I know of two separate families that make their income from playing music who moved to the north coast.
One from the USA and the other from Canada.

As someone who has played the local music scene for some time, playing the same places they need regular gigs at, I question the sanity of such decisions.
Surviving here on such a career will not be a pleasant situation. Hopefully they have ways to return home if
the almost inevitable happens.

Yoga? Hmmm.

Reactions: Big and NotLurking

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
That's not really true. If the company hires you as an employee and puts up in the TSS system, you need a cedula. Most call center ask for legal workers whether it's home or office base.
So what you are saying is that there isn't any company OUT of the DR that hires agents online. I urge you to do a bit of research and to think out of the box before claiming, "That's not really true." I know of translation and email work and I suppose their is more work online to be had in CS and sales.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
His English is probably not good enough. But he is a hard worker and that will improve over time.

Understood. I hope they did not abandon what they have in their home country.

I know of two separate families that make their income from playing music who moved to the north coast.
One from the USA and the other from Canada.

As someone who has played the local music scene for some time, playing the same places they need regular gigs at, I question the sanity of such decisions.
Surviving here on such a career will not be a pleasant situation. Hopefully they have ways to return home if
the almost inevitable happens.

Yoga? Hmmm.
Yoga instructor, D.J, masseuse aka massage therapist, Rapper, life coach and my personal fav aromatherapy. How does one say no 401k in Spanish.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
So what you are saying is that there isn't any company OUT of the DR that hires agents online. I urge you to do a bit of research and to think out of the box before claiming, "That's not really true." I know of translation and email work and I suppose their is more work online to be had in CS and sales
It's illegal to hire a worker as an employee without a cedula. Fine is RD$300,00 for harboring an illegal alien. Those out-of -DR companies you mention hire you as a consultant. I'm a consultant for 7 different companies, so yes there is work available....without benefits.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yoga instructor, D.J, masseuse aka massage therapist, Rapper, life coach and my personal fav aromatherapy. How does one say no 401k in Spanish.
Add in professional musicians of any genre and it is almost like Deja Vu all over again.

By the way, there is a local duo called Deja Vu, recently from Canada, playing in the area. I suspect they also need the pesos to be able to afford to live here at their seemingly younger than retirement ages. There are no coincidences when people don't do their do diligence.
(Does Canada have 401K type plans? )

Yoga? I was just talking to someone familiar with the market and it is OVER saturated on the North Coast.