Property Tax is coming to our neighborhood

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Bob, farm properties are exempt from the IPI.

Windeguy, you're correct, but, as I mentioned, if the corporation pays income tax it is very likely that it won't have to pay an asset tax.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Bob, farm properties are exempt from the IPI.

Windeguy, you're correct, but, as I mentioned, if the corporation pays income tax it is very likely that it won't have to pay an asset tax.

Since many, if not most corporations, were set up to avoid paying taxes on a house for people who had no income from that corporation, that tax advantage is now gone regarding home ownership in a corporation.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
The property taxes is on the amount after the 6 million pesos, so imagine 5000 US$, (225,000 pesos) is just 1% on the property value. But the 1% is for "the total amount of real estate assets" of that person. The value is calculed normally with this tool http://www.dgii.gov.do/servicios/consultas/Paginas/ConsultaInmobiliaria.aspx I think

Has anyone tred using the DGII tool to calculate their property taxes. At first I thought how efficient. I held my breath, tried it and...... It says if you have an apartment, leave the section for 'solar" blank. When you do that after filling the other sections, it says, you must specify the amount of "solar" Hilarious stuff.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
How would you find out at what value the dgii has your house registered. When I bought the registered value was below the threshold, but the real value is above it. How can I find out what currently the dgii thinks the value of my house is without triggering them to do an assessment and decide it's more than it is currently registered?

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
How would you find out at what value the dgii has your house registered. When I bought the registered value was below the threshold, but the real value is above it. How can I find out what currently the dgii thinks the value of my house is without triggering them to do an assessment and decide it's more than it is currently registered?

Not exactly sure how they do it but i bought a new place with no history. From what i recall from my lawyer, when they assessed the transfer tax which i believe is 4% they informed it wasnt based on purchase price it wasbased on their appraised value, which since it was new, maybe saw a gringo name, decided to make millions higher, not sure as none of it ever makes sense. Hell it took me 3.5 hours just to pay it at the DGI when i already had a registered check in hand

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
If I fill the tool on dgii, the value is way below what I paid 4 years ago and even more below our real estate agent estimated he could sell it for. And if it's true they calculated taxes when I bought based on the value they have registered I should be fine.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
If I fill the tool on dgii, the value is way below what I paid 4 years ago and even more below our real estate agent estimated he could sell it for. And if it's true they calculated taxes when I bought based on the value they have registered I should be fine.

Yes you may be the 1% that wins as opposed to the 99% they screw. I m happy for you as I probably paid some of yours as well, as i got screwed the other way. Also I believe you have a house so the "tool' works for you, doesnt seem to for apartments