PROUD TO BE ONE!

L

LOVE

Re:

America was built on stolen land. Add 300 years of African slavery. Then you get the good part: free enterprise, democracy, free speech, religion, exc...

All the good things that you guys are saying about America (true), it better keep this up for another 200 years to make up for all the pain it has caused Native Americans and Blacks. Of course, I'm speaking in the grand scheme of things, not just of the here and now.

E

ECH

Re:

I said earlier......it is not a Utopia nor was the History of America "perfect". Name me one country in history that did not begin with "stolen" land! And slavery, what a disgrace, but America was not the ONLY country with slaves. And your figures are a little off. We have only been a nation since 1776...224 years ago. I am not sure why that when slavery is mentioned, all eyes turn to America. I am sure you are aware there are slaves today, although not traded on the open market as once they were. There are periods in our history that are shameful. But we don't try to hide or disguise it. We admit it, try to correct it, and move on. At least, that is the idea I get "in the grand scheme of things".

L

LOVE

Re:

I do not disagree with the great things that you said about America in your first post, and I really enjoyed reading your second post. But, just because America became an official country in 1776 does not change the fact that it was built off of stolen land and slavery. Of course, slavery was an institution in other places and remains so now. I presume the reason why people always think of America when they think of slavery is because America is an interesting country and stands in the center of many historical debates. Besides, American slavery and race relations are unique and more problematic than in other nations that had slaves. But that's beside the point anyway.

I think America is a dynamic nation as well, but I don't think that it has tried to corrrect its mistakes in those specific regards. In the first place, I was only saying that America needs to keep it up in order to compensate. When I said, in the grand scheme of things, I was referring the length of time things have been good, like they are now, in comparision to the length of times things have not been so good, as they were before. After 224 years of nationhood, America became a democracy about 40 years ago. We need to keep it up!

B

bill williams

Re: CIA

Yes Mr. Castro, you are a very brillent person. Look at how well Cuba has fared under your leadership, its the only way to run a country, death threats are great vote getters. Look how far the poor Uinted States has fellen compared to Cuba. All the poor US can do is pour our dollars into other nations, to keep total devestion from takeing over, but we are pikers as to what you the brillent leader of Cuba has been able to acclompish for world peace and tranquility. It is very clear that your system of goverment is far superior to any thing we have established. And I guess that we should be very thankfull that so many of your citizens want to leave your great leadership, and come to the US, and try to help us, even though you shoot at them for trying to help get us on the right track. Oh well I think The united States of America, with all its misguided leaders, is still the greatest nation, and will endure, and prosper with out your great leadership. May your rein of leadership have a short future, and that the people of Cuba be blessed with peace and tranquility in the near future.

B

BT

Re: CIA

I coulden't have said it better myself. God Bless America.... from a Canadian