Punta cana to Las terrenas

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
Is it possible to do a day trip, if we rent a car, from Punta Cana to Las terrenas? How long does it take to drive? or would we have to spend the the night in Las terrenas? Las Terrenas looks beautiful!!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
No. Flying is your only alternative to a very long and very tiring drive.

Do take the opportunity to visit Las Terrenas on your next trip.

HB

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Pc - Lt

A day trip to LT from PC by car is not possible, the driving would take the whole day.
I also recommend to fly and even stay in LT for at least one night (as has been suggested).
You can rent a vehicle (SUV or ATV) locally or get a car with a driver.
The other option would be to go to Sabana de la Mar (by guagua) and take the ferry (no cars!) across the bay to Saman? (Santa Barbara).
Arrangements could be made to have you picked up at the pier and start your excursion there.
You'd have to set out very early though in order to reach the last ferry in the morning (at 11 a.m. if I remember correctly) and regard the journey as 'getting-to-know-the-country' trip... ;)

m'frog

Last edited:

Renate

Jan 12, 2007
You can rent a vehicle (SUV or ATV) locally or get a car with a driver

mountainfrog, may I ask you for tips where we could get a car with a driver in LT? What are the average costs for a car (2 persons) with a driver for one/two days, just for getting around locally in Samana?

We're planning the same trip as robbie descibed, from PC to LT (but to stay in LT for one week, march 2008), and still didn't decide whether we'll take a car from PC for the whole trip, or we'll better take the plane and locally rent a car with a driver in LT.

Thanks in advance!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A lot will depend on whether you want to "get to know the country" or not.

Rental cars are not the solution we generally recommend to first time drivers in the DR. Just too many potential issues.

Personally, I would recommend the flight to LT. It's only a half hour flight, so you are not wasting a lot of your vacation time stalled in traffic. And you can get a car and driver there in Lss Terrenas.

The other suggestion--the ferry--is for adventurous folks. But it is very picturesque, you get to mingle with the real people, and it isn't that much of a hassle..really.

So, flip a coin, make the decision and enjoy....I sort of envy your options, and I live here!!!

HB

Renate

Jan 12, 2007
Hillbilly, thanks for your suggestions!

Yes, we want to get to know the country (I've been taking lessions in Spanish since last year, hope that will help). I've been to Sosua last year, and took the trip to LT 2 times with a minibus. Next year we'd like to spend a week in LT to get to know LT as well as Samana.

May I ask you to give some more informations about the potential issues when driving on our own? As I did the trip Sosua - Sanchez two times with a bus in july, 2006, my impression was that dominican drivers pass other cars, where non-dominicans probably wouldn't take the risk, but on the other hand, I didn't consider their driving style as principally dangerous/aggressive; they just seem to expect that everybody has to get out of their way, when they pass other cars - when I did the trip there was no problem about that (wide road, few cars). Do you think those impressions are realistic, or far too positive?
Another question, how serious is the situation with drunken drivers?

Renate

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Chauffeur Driven

mountainfrog, may I ask you for tips where we could get a car with a driver in LT? What are the average costs for a car (2 persons) with a driver for one/two days, just for getting around locally in Samana?

If it's only for one or two days again I'd recommend a chauffeur driven car. Thus you'll enjoy the trip much more and you are not RESPONSIBLE for whatever happens in your excursion...
As for prices it would very much depend on the type of vehicle (sedan, SUV, Minibus, etc.) and the owner's (taxidriver) personal charges.

I also sent you a PM.

Janin

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
Since this is going to be a busy trip for us, I like the idea of the flight, car and driver. I'm going to look into the flights since a day is all we can do right now.
The ferry sounds like fun!
I want to do everything:cheeky:

bcgirl

Oct 16, 2007
I also want to get from Punta Cana to Samana. We are getting married at the Bahia Principe PUnta Cana next April. We are spending 1 week there. We are then spending 6 nights for our "honeymoon" portion of the trip at the Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado. It's all booked, now we just have to figure out how to get between the two!!!

I have heard the flight is the best option, but I do not know where to book this or look into it. Is there a website? PUnta Cana airport to Samana Airport, what times do they fly, how much, how long, etc? Then we could take a cab to the Bahia Principe in Samana, then the boat ride to Cayo Levantado.

OR is it possible to take a cab from the Bahia Principe PUnta Cana to Sabana de la Mar, then the ferry across to Samana, then get from there to the Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado. If we were to do this, how long would it take, and how much would the cab ride and ferry ride cost?

THanks very much for any help, I'm having a hard time finding the information and am trying to find the best way between the two cities. After our 6 nights in Cayo Levantado, we'll be headed back to Punta Cana for the last night of our 14 night trip. Then back home to Vancouver, BC the next day.

Drugdog

Mar 28, 2003
The drive is not that bad if you have a local driving you. Our trip from the North end of Punta Cana to Sabana de la Mar was 3 to 4 hours. The ferry from there is about 40 minutes. NOTE: In January the dock was in need of dredging. The ferry only came in about 100 yards off shore. You had to tak your bags in a small boat and hand them up to the ferry. We went inland to Higuey then over from there. On the return trip we took the coastline back. "Only made for 4 wheel drive though." The trip over was great. The North Coasters on here post great info on driving your own rental car. They seem to be out of date on the time frame involved on getting anywhere in Punta Cana though.

Kevin

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
I have never used this company or service specifically, however here is a link for a Taxi service that drives all over the DR.

The quoted rate from the Punta Cana airport to Samana is $295.

Pretty expensive..and it is a very long drive. But it is an option...

Taxi Services Lauvid

dahlia

Nov 21, 2006
while on your way from PC to Samana, and for those who like some exotism, nature and want to feel the impression to be out of the worl I recomand to spend a night at the canohondo hotel at Sabana de la mar (about 8 miles out of the town)
http://www.paraisocanohondo.com/Hospedaje.html .(did not find anything in english but just look at the picture !) Nothing to compare with an all included of course, no luxoury rooms nor food, you need to be a bit adventurous to go there. But you will not forget it, waterfalls seem to be the main characteristic of that place , and the hotel was said in the past to have "more swimmingpools than rooms..." . PM me if you wanted more information.

Drugdog

Mar 28, 2003
dahlia,

We stopped there for a couple of hours and got a quick tour. WOW!!!! Would be on our top 10 list of places to see in the DR.

Have a bunch of pics if anyone wants to see them.

Kevin