Quebec City man murdered?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SosuaSam

Jan 4, 2010
Guard arrested in Quebecer's murder at Dominican resort

MONTREAL ? A security guard at a resort villa in the town of Sosua in the Dominican Republic has been arrested in connection with the murder of a Quebec City man the night of Dec. 30, according to media reports. The guard allegedly tipped off two men about the presence of the victim and his friend at the villa, which has only 12 rooms. Police in the Caribbean nation have also arrested a second man, reports said. Quebec City resident Jean Gagn?, 41, was vacationing with a friend when two men entered their rooms in the middle of the night, according to the Journal de Montr?al.

Anyone know at what resort this occurred?

Last edited by a moderator:

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Articles posted in the Montreal Gazette...

I read the first story early this morning in the Montreal Gazette and they since added another article.

'Quebec man slain at Dominican resort'

Quebec man slain at Dominican resort

See the 2nd article in the OP's post.

-MP.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
where exactly is maranatha, I didnt think it was in Sosua or was part of the tourist area

Naptime

Jul 23, 2008
www.vitos.com
Is it even safe now to visit Sosua? I'm thinking about canceling my trip.

first.. my condolences to the family of the murdered gentleman. this is very sad to hear.

second, as to your post..... while this is very sad news, as is the news of the man that was killed in puertoplata..... ehhh, its two people, out of how many?

not sure about where you live, but two people being killed over a two week period, isnt really that high of a rate. im sure for some places it is, heck probably is for a lot of places. but bigger cities, not so much.

is there a possibility you could be killed or robbed while on vacation to sosua... YES..

but, my guess is that your odds are higher in getting killed in your own home town before your vacation..... you could get hit by a bus or truck while sitting at a redlight today. someone could invade your home to rob and murder you. a distraught ex employee could stop into your place of work and shoot everyone tommorrow. a bank robber with an itchy trigger finger could get you while in line to cash your check on friday. you could fall over dead from heart disease while eating your turkey sandwich on whole weat with light mayo.

i have my 4th trip scheduled. 50 days out now. i look at it this way.. how many people are in sosua. thats your chance of getting robbed .. 1 in whatever the population is, including daily tourist count. thats not your chance for getting murdered though, because there hasnt been a murder every day. so, what is it.. 1 in whatever the population is times the murder rate.

inmo... if you excercise a few precautions, just like any other time, you should be just fine. granted, the gentleman mentioned in this news article probably would have had no way to prevent such a thing from happening, but perhaps a different, more known hotel. i dont know. i certainly dont want to put blame back on the deceased for choosing the wrong hotel. but you probably see what i mean.

my advice.... keep that flight booked. go down to paradise and enjoy as usual. if its your first trip, continue to learn and ask questions here before the trip, to better know how to protect yourself down there.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
is there a tourist resort there as stated in the article - Im hoping to get out more this new year

Naptime

Jul 23, 2008
www.vitos.com
i jsut read that last article posted...

said they were staying in a private villa with a fence and a security guard, owned by another quebec man.

that doesnt narrow it down much though.... a rental villa owned by a canadian, in the sosua area.... hmmm thats not exactly rare...

this is a truly unfortunate incident though. you cant even trust the security guards anymore !?

i wonder if the property owner is aware yet?

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
A "resort" villa in Maranatha?? Who would build a hotel or 12 room villa or whatever it is in that area...Unless I'm mistaken that is not the nicest of Barrios in the area...

Mar 2, 2008
As far as I know there are no "resort villas" in Maranata. And DavidZ is correct, it is a not very nice barrio in Sosua.

I am not completely surprised that a murder happened there, but I am surprised to here a tourist was staying there.

MyBocaChica

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2010
As far as I know there are no "resort villas" in Maranata. And DavidZ is correct, it is a not very nice barrio in Sosua.

I am not completely surprised that a murder happened there, but I am surprised to here a tourist was staying there.

A little dicky bird once told me that crime doesn't look for victims.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
not sure about where you live, but two people being killed over a two week period, isnt really that high of a rate.

It was 2 in 2 days (in Costambar last Wednesday, in Marantha the following day) - that's why the Sacandomelao wording is the way it is.

This was another one Fireguy. It just happened over this weekend. Read it in the Toronto Star this a.m.

I think you'll find it's the same one. As far as I'm aware there was only one murder in Maranatha, last Thursday. Local papers called the victim a German, which is where the confusion might have arisen. Plus there are the usual different versions of the spelling of the name. But clearly the victim was in fact Canadian.

Condolences to his family.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
maybe we can combine a few threads regarding the same thing, we dont want to give the wrong impression

Naptime

Jul 23, 2008
www.vitos.com
It was 2 in 2 days (in Costambar last Wednesday, in Marantha the following day) - that's why the Sacandomelao wording is the way it is.

I think you'll find it's the same one. As far as I'm aware there was only one murder in Maranatha, last Thursday. Local papers called the victim a German, which is where the confusion might have arisen. Plus there are the usual different versions of the spelling of the name. But clearly the victim was in fact Canadian.

Condolences to his family.

read the articles closer...

there was a man murdered in puerto plata. he was, iirc, norwegian.

there was ANOTHER man, murdered in marantha. this man was from montreal.
his traveling companpion, a friend, was bound and tied in the room next door. HE was german.

so two friends. a german, and a canadian. the canadian was murdered, the german was tied up and robbed. he heard his friend get shot in the room next door.

police felt that BOTH murders, were the same killer, because of the way the man in puerto plata and the men in marantha were tied.

and they know that the security guard in marantha was in on it, and even shot himself in the leg, to make it appear that he was a victim.

obviously i'm not there, so im piecing togetehr the articles as well. but they all come out pretty clear, at least on the point of three different victims. one injured, two dead. two cities. one security guard and another man.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
maybe we can combine a few threads regarding the same thing, we dont want to give the wrong impression

If you give me the url's for the "few threads regarding the same thing" I'll have a look at it.

According to my count there is one thread about the Sosua murder (this one), one about the Costambar murder, one condolence thread for the Karlsen family and a resurrected old thread which has been closed and probably won't re-open (the more I think of it). If I have missed any, please let me know, I'm only human. I don't think one thread each is too many per murder and if multiple occurrences causing multiple threads gives an impression, just possibly it's deserved.

But I'm always glad to discuss this - but by PM or e-mail.

No more in this thread - please.

Gregg
Mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.