Quebec couple hit with $90,000 bill after harrowing birth in dominican republic

Rustxko

Aug 3, 2014
I also thought that they might trying to pull a scam the government scheme. The $20,000 ambulance trip is a red flag for me. That seems crazy. Granted I realize they aren't likely to let you go through her in the back of a cab but even if they were scamming the couple, they'd have took a lot less than $20k. I would have hired local thugs to steal the ambulance for $2k and drive her to the hospital before I paid $20k for it.

If it is the bill in peso and they pay in dollars scenario, that would be awesome. I'd have loved to have been a fly on the wall when that went down just to see the grins on people's faces.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Dominican people are so heartwarming and helpful to outsiders in their time of utmost need........

I mean, it's only the birth of a newborn child......

I realize there are scumbags and pieces of human garbage all over the world, but since this is a DR forum........

SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Or they saw an opportunity are to scam the insurance or government with the '$' sign, claiming it was dollars.

They won't make money with the Qu?bec government since the rule is that you get reimbursed only for what it would have cost in Qu?bec and Qu?bec an ambulance ride is about 150$. For a C-section I don't know but not more than 5K...

Anyway, I'm not sure if I even believe their story. Just the 20K US for the ambulance is kinda fishy... At that price you can buy you own ambulance...

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
They won't make money with the Qu?bec government since the rule is that you get reimbursed only for what it would have cost in Qu?bec and Qu?bec an ambulance ride is about 150$. For a C-section I don't know but not more than 5K...

Anyway, I'm not sure if I even believe their story. Just the 20K US for the ambulance is kinda fishy... At that price you can buy you own ambulance...

twenty p.d. im sure 600$us bucks or so...believeable

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the world will never run short on stupi.ds, sure not.
and an oher one bite's the dust.
going on a luxury caribbean vacay with a 18 months old toddler and 33 weeks pregnant,
that alone should be enough to call a shrink.
BUT,
a couple going on such vacation to a foreign country far away from home with a 18 months old toddler,
33 months pregnant,
AND Without any real medic insurance coverage???

come on, put them in those white comfy Jackets and let the shrinks solve the puzzle.

the Good thing of the story:
the newborn seems to be fine and well, welcome to the world, girlie.
the bad point:
girly and 18 months old brother are damned to be raised by such irresponsible parents.

prices shown on the Bill are of course in US$Dollars/Greenbucks, NOT Pesos, and they are not out of this world.
40K been for the airambulance, so the "Bill" would have been just $50.-K's, for a month of incubator and a c-section without negociating any price but sure telling everyone that they are from Quebec andf that their State Insurance will of course cover any expenses. heck, of course such will not bargain down anyprices, if suggerated that a insurance pays it all.

dumb and dumber,
and then came the couple from Quebec.

Mike

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
terrible experience ...when i see a woman in supermkt bodega looking real large i shoo her to the front of the line...i dont want any ambulances holding up the checkout line while she delivers her pkge...

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Maybe the bill was in pesos and they thought it was dollars. Then, once they started paying in dollars the guys on the receiving end thought to themselves, well let em go ahead. Who is gonna tell em its only pesos? Many tourists don't know what the "RD" stands for before the '$' sign.

Or they saw an opportunity are to scam the insurance or government with the '$' sign, claiming it was dollars.

I drove tourist around the DR for many years, all them knew what the exchange rate was as there is so much information today on the Internet.

http://dr1.com/forums/living/77301-todays-exchange-rate-92.html

Started by Adrian Bye long time ago, hope he is doing good in NY.

JJ

PanfilodeVaca

Jan 12, 2014
Good thing they didn't get involved in organ trafficking. They can get much more for a whole baby than for a subdivided one.

Next time they take a prepartum vacation, they'll find Cuba is much cheaper.

May 5, 2007
Sounds phony to me. They could have bought the ir ambulance plane for that much!

Air Ambulance (Light to medium jet) with Doctor and Nurse back to Quebec could easily be $75,000.00 USD if not more NEONATAL nurse, incubators etc etc lots and lots of money or you strap her to the wing of a Cessna 310 and go like hell

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Agree with you there Friend was Life Flighted from Oatman Arizona to Las Vegas Nevada, 99 miles in small Helo for $26,000.00 7-8 years ago
My wife was driven 5 miles from my house to wake Med in an ambulance "EMS service" US $ 700. Bucks was the bill plus two hours of Emercy room care... Just in observation after one or two shots the bill was $6000. American Dollars.

6,700. for a headache,,,,What they complaint about????

JJ

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
My wife was driven 5 miles from my house to wake Med in an ambulance "EMS service" US $ 700. Bucks was the bill plus two hours of Emercy room care... Just in observation after one or two shots the bill was $6000. American Dollars.

6,700. for a headache,,,,What they complaint about????

JJ

No health insurance bro?
I have a $50 ER co-pay, and $75 for a ride to the ER.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
No health insurance bro?
I have a $50 ER co-pay, and $75 for a ride to the ER.

Frank that happened when we moved from DR 7 years ago, not ensurance at that time... She made a deal but I thing we are still making payment as she had to go for a second time. the second one was only 2,000.

In DR that would be free if taken in a taxi to a public hospital!

JJ