Question for tourists and others...

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
amanacer said:
Don't worry El Tigre that was very generous offer, they were just stupid tourist(not that all tourist are stupid just some) I am sure they got back home and thought DR was boring, next year they will go to Barbados and spend their whole time in the resort and will think that was boring as well, just that kind of people...

You couldn't have said it any better! Just that kind of people is what they were.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I think there are a lot of unappreciative folks out there...but hey, it is there loss. For thoase who have never ventured off a resort ( and an organized tor does not count IMHO), they will never experience the true DR...like I always say...if you lay around at a resort all day, you could be anywhere in the world, kinda defeats the purpose of experiencing the cultural aspect of your vacation! Different strokes for different folks???

rayleeds

May 16, 2005
Leeds, United Kingdom
Morning all,
For the average tourist how would you suggest we get off resort if not via an organised tour? This is our 3rd time to the DR and second in 2 years at the Gran Ventana(arrive 3rd July for 2 weeks). We have taken tours with Isaira tours and they organise smaller more intimate trips. As a family we would love to explore the island more but with car rental not a possibility then please give me some ideas (All tourists are not as lucky as the ignorant ones in this thread and get great offers).

Best Regards Ray

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
rayleeds said:
Morning all,
For the average tourist how would you suggest we get off resort if not via an organised tour? This is our 3rd time to the DR and second in 2 years at the Gran Ventana(arrive 3rd July for 2 weeks). We have taken tours with Isaira tours and they organise smaller more intimate trips. As a family we would love to explore the island more but with car rental not a possibility then please give me some ideas (All tourists are not as lucky as the ignorant ones in this thread and get great offers).

Best Regards Ray

Just buy a Rough Guide or Lonely Planet guide and do it yourself, use taxi's or buses. If you don't want gua-guas or publicos with a family, Caribetours and Metro have a network of bus routes and their buses are quite comfortable and modern, and very cheap. The Dominican Republic is not such a scary place as the resort staff wants you to believe.

Last edited:

rayleeds

May 16, 2005
Leeds, United Kingdom
Thanks for that...I understand the scare tactics of the reps in resort. On our first visit we booked on ATVs from an off resort source, upon hearing this the rep said you will be unprotected from the locals....FFS these are the people we want to meet,ie locals expats etc etc.
Thanks for the advise just about to log on to lonley planet and have a browse.
Be there in just over 3 weeks looking forward to a more in depth DR experience
Regards Ray

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Rayleeds,

You can use taxis recomended by the Hotel. Since you are going to be in Puerto Plata I would recomend you stop by Rockys for ribs (if you are into pork that is). But besides that, the atmosphere at Rockys is very welcoming. Food takes a bit long to arrive at your table but hey - YOU ARE ON VACATION so you are not rushing. They serve realy cold beers as well.

Also - take a couple of day trips to Sosua beach which is the best beach on the North Coast of the DR. I'm pretty sure you would like it. They have a lot of little shops along the beach. If you decide to buy something offer the man/woman selling their goods at least two hundred pesos less from what they are telling you. If they say no start walking away and you will see how they call you back.

I wish I could be there to show you around. It's such a nice place!!!

ENJOY IT AND EMBRACE IT!!!

rayleeds

May 16, 2005
Leeds, United Kingdom
El Tigre,
On the world cup smi final and final days we intend to spend the days in Sosua.

First thing for the game at Eddys and then an afternoon on the beach followed by a few beers and ribs at Rockys.

Should be a good couple of days.

Regards Ray

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
rayleeds said:
Thanks for that...I understand the scare tactics of the reps in resort. On our first visit we booked on ATVs from an off resort source, upon hearing this the rep said you will be unprotected from the locals....FFS these are the people we want to meet,ie locals expats etc etc.
Thanks for the advise just about to log on to lonley planet and have a browse.
Be there in just over 3 weeks looking forward to a more in depth DR experience
Regards Ray
ggrande's suggestion to get a travel book is actually an excellent idea, and well worth the expense.
Most of the travellers I have met here, say that they prefer the Lonely Planet over Rough.
Of course, there's a bunch of members here, who can answer virtually all of your questions.

amanacer

Dec 29, 2005
Rocky said:
Most of the travellers I have met here, say that they prefer the Lonely Planet over Rough.
Of course, there's a bunch of members here, who can answer virtually all of your questions.
you just might have problems with packing these members into your luggage..:bunny: .

i am sorry Rocky, couldn't help myself

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
British In Domincan

HI EL TIGRE ARE YOU SPANISH SPEAKING? IF YOU ARE MAYBE THEY NO SAVY WAS THIS HOTEL ALL INCLUSIVE I AM FROM THE UK MY WIFE IS A DOMINCAN A LOT OF BRITS LIKE TO DRINK AND STAY BY THE POOL IF IT WAS A.SCOT THEY ARE TIGHT AND DONT LIKE TO SPEND ANY EXTRA MONEY ON FOOD OR DRINK WHEN I WENT TO PLAYA DORADA WITH MY WIFE AFTER SHE WAS LIVING IN THE UK FOR 1YEAR WE WENT TO THIS MEETING WITH THE REPS THEY TOLD US NOT TO LEAVE THE COMPLEX AS IT WAS NOT SAFE:surprised MY WIFE TOLD THEM SHE WAS A DOM AND TOLD THEM SHE HAVE LIVED HERE ALL HER LIFE AND ALL OF HER FAMILY AND NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS IF THE REP DONT TELL YOU AND ANY THING HAPPENS. WHEN YOU GET HOME THEY WILL BE TRYING TO SUE THE HOILDAY FIRM MAYBE YOUR ENGLISH FRIENDS WERE AFRAID, WHEN I GO TO SEE THE IN LAWS IN NAGUA I FEEL SAFE VINCE FROM SOUTH WALES UK:bunny:

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
vince1956 said:
HI EL TIGRE ARE YOU SPANISH SPEAKING? IF YOU ARE MAYBE THEY NO SAVY WAS THIS HOTEL ALL INCLUSIVE I AM FROM THE UK MY WIFE IS A DOMINCAN A LOT OF BRITS LIKE TO DRINK AND STAY BY THE POOL IF IT WAS A.SCOT THEY ARE TIGHT AND DONT LIKE TO SPEND ANY EXTRA MONEY ON FOOD OR DRINK WHEN I WENT TO PLAYA DORADA WITH MY WIFE AFTER SHE WAS LIVING IN THE UK FOR 1YEAR WE WENT TO THIS MEETING WITH THE REPS THEY TOLD US NOT TO LEAVE THE COMPLEX AS IT WAS NOT SAFE:surprised MY WIFE TOLD THEM SHE WAS A DOM AND TOLD THEM SHE HAVE LIVED HERE ALL HER LIFE AND ALL OF HER FAMILY AND NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS IF THE REP DONT TELL YOU AND ANY THING HAPPENS. WHEN YOU GET HOME THEY WILL BE TRYING TO SUE THE HOILDAY FIRM MAYBE YOUR ENGLISH FRIENDS WERE AFRAID, WHEN I GO TO SEE THE IN LAWS IN NAGUA I FEEL SAFE VINCE FROM SOUTH WALES UK:bunny:

Vince,

There might be any number of reasons to change your mind, and in truth anybody has that right. It would have been courteous to inform Tigre of the fact they changed their minds, that I believe is the main issue here..

Have a nice day!

MD

PS: those CAPS really make reading more difficult..

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
We have been to Sosua a few times now and we (me and my family) always take a walk arouund Sosua. We have found a few different routes to get from the resort to Pedro Clisante , to the highway etc.

What we want to do this time is take a trip to Cabarate for a couple of hours. So do Caribe tours or Metro have organized trips there or would we have to catch the bus at a certain location? I have never been on a gua gua. Is it just like taking a bus? I would like to know because I will try anything once.

So please advise which would be the better choice of transportation.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Public Transport

tarrantino said:
...trip to Cabarate for a couple of hours. So do Caribe tours or Metro have organized trips there or would we have to catch the bus at a certain location? I have never been on a gua gua. Is it just like taking a bus?
CT and Metro are overland bus services.
I don't think that they do guided tours of Cabarete.

Take one of the (better looking) guaguas and venture about.
You'll like it.

m'frog

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
tarrantino said:
We have been to Sosua a few times now and we (me and my family) always take a walk arouund Sosua. We have found a few different routes to get from the resort to Pedro Clisante , to the highway etc.

What we want to do this time is take a trip to Cabarate for a couple of hours. So do Caribe tours or Metro have organized trips there or would we have to catch the bus at a certain location? I have never been on a gua gua. Is it just like taking a bus? I would like to know because I will try anything once.

So please advise which would be the better choice of transportation.
Caribe tours and Metro are more long distance busses, to Santiago, Santo Domingo, Jarabacoa, etc. They do not organize trips. For those buses you buy a ticket at the bus station.
Gua guas are more informal, and for shorter distances. There are no set stops, but they cover a fixed route. At the North coast they're little vans, in the cities bigger busses. Just stand at the side of the road and they'll pick you up if you look interested (in the cities you'll have to indicate you direction). If you are at your destination just say 'chofer dejame aqui por favor' or 'stop please' and you're done.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Here are your choices from Sosua to Cabarete.
Both choices can be picked up on the main road across from the Texaco Station.
The guagua is marked "Puerto Plata-Rio San Juan". They run about every ten minutes. Most are vans, but some are small buses. I'm not sure of the fare, probably 10 pesos, but would be 20 pesos max.
The publicos taxis are marked "Sosua-Cabarete". They start at the fruit stand across from the Texaco Station and leave when they have a full load. The fare I believe is 20 pesos. They usually take 6 passengers, so you can purchase additional seatrs for more room.

Both choices are safe and easy. Just beware of pickpockets anywhere you go.

Emma22

Jun 13, 2006
To answer the "Why did they do that?" question I would suggest the following possibilities:

1) They got nervous as to WHY you were so kind as many here in the UK would certainly NOT put themselves out for strangers...maybe thought it was a "trick"???

2) They thought it was "empty talk" and you were just being polite to offer.

3) They changed their mind (maybe had a heavy drinking session the night before and didn't fancy the travelling?)

4) They were just plain rude!!!!

I would opt for the last possibility if I were you as I think it VERY rude that they thought fit not to even leave you a note!! What a shame though - gives us more polite Brits a bad name!! :-(