Question regarding Amercian citizens

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
To the OP: You would get a clear answer if this was moved to the legal section. DR1 has a lawyer who posts correct answers.
I see the speculation and untruths already in some of these answers.

Mr. ManInDR

Sep 25, 2015
Mike She is a legal resident in the DR , DR taxes are being withheld from her salary , She is an American citizen , that so far has only earned salaries in the DR . Her status here is legal , She only wants now that the bank had handed her that W9 to fill in , to regularize her situation with the ISR

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

Mr. ManInDR

Sep 25, 2015
Yes indeed She was born and raised in USA up to her 13th birthday

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Not necessarily true. If she was born in the US she would have a SS number.

I am not so sure about that. As I believe you have to apply for one. Maybe someone else knows about this.

Mr. ManInDR

Sep 25, 2015
Dulce How could I move this to the legal section . She is certainly an American citizen in need of help , I know some stuff about DR taxes and She is a coworker of mine , She asked me for help I am just trying to help Her to avoid the bank close her account because if that happen she won't be able to receive her salary . I have a copy of her passport and also her SS number

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Just let her fill the form out. Nothing will happen, do you think the IRS is so interested in her? Chill out.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Dulce How could I move this to the legal section . She is certainly an American citizen in need of help , I know some stuff about DR taxes and She is a coworker of mine , She asked me for help I am just trying to help Her to avoid the bank close her account because if that happen she won't be able to receive her salary . I have a copy of her passport and also her SS number

A moderator will have to move it for you. As soon as one sees this they will most likely move it for you.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I am not so sure about that. As I believe you have to apply for one. Maybe someone else knows about this.

It is required that the parents apply for a SS# when the baby is born. The OP states that she does have one.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Just let her fill the form out. Nothing will happen, do you think the IRS is so interested in her? Chill out.

The IRS is interested in anyone with a SS#. Once they find out she doesn't make over the required amount they will leave her alone.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The IRS is interested in anyone with a SS#. Once they find out she doesn't make over the required amount they will leave her alone.

Do you think the IRS checks out how much everyone that fills out a form makes per year in another Country? Think about that. How many people would they need to check on all of these forms with everything else they need to do in the US?

Believe me the IRS is way overrated. Most Americans fold up like an accordion when they hear IRS. They are not as powerful as you think. They get by on reputation.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Are you looking for help with Dominican law or American law? I presume the bank is in DR, but you're asking questions about American tax returns.

Mr. ManInDR

Sep 25, 2015
Hello alter ego . Thanks for your interests . The bank is in DR , and because of FATCA that bank is asking my friend to fill the form W9 , since I have explained She is an American Citizen living and working in DR . She doesn't have any tax issues here in DR because she is an government worker and her taxes are payroll withheld . The question is what would be the implications after she files the form asked for the RD bank providing her SS number , and the bank send that information to the ISR ? I know that she must have had filed her federal taxes since she began to earn money here in DR , but as she have missed doing so I Wonder how many prior years of federal taxes she needs to file in order to comply with AMERICAN Ferderal tax laws

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. ManInDR

Sep 25, 2015
I am sharing with You all a response I got from a tax expat forum . Maybe could be helpful to someone else in need of information

BBCWatcher
442 likes received
18 likes given

Users Flag! Originally from usa. Users Flag! Expat in singapore.
Her bank is presumably requiring her to fill out a W-9 form if she's a U.S. citizen. So that's step one, to comply with the bank's requirements and to answer their questions truthfully. (Unless she doesn't mind having her account closed.)

Next step, reasonably promptly: If the total value of her non-U.S. accounts ever reached US$10,000, she should file FinCEN Form 114 for 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014 (the past 6 years), though she can skip any year when the total value of her non-U.S. financial accounts did not exceed US$10,000. She should count all accounts over which she has "signature authority" toward the total, including joint accounts and any company, club, or association accounts where she can sign (as company or club treasurer, for example). She is late filing those mandatory reports (if she meets the threshold), but we have not heard reports of the U.S. Treasury Department penalizing those who have stepped forward voluntarily and filed late as long as they file truthful, complete reports with a truthful excuse. (The form itself allows selecting a reason for late filing. There's an "I didn't know" or similar choice available, and it's a popular one.)

Finally, if she genuinely owes zero U.S. tax then the penalty for non-filing or late filing a U.S. tax return is zero. So if she's highly confident that's her reality then "no rush." But if she has even a little doubt (or perhaps even if she doesn't) then it would be prudent for her to take advantage of the IRS's Streamlined Program to get caught up, then to continue filing normally going forward. One reason she might want to file anyway is if she has U.S. citizen children. Then she may be eligible to collect free money from the IRS, the Additional Child Tax Credit, depending on her tax and income situation.

Note that the U.S. does not have a social security treaty with the Dominican Republic. If she was/is self-employed then she should have been paying the U.S. Self-Employment Tax -- and earning U.S. Social Security retirement credits and becoming eligible for free U.S. Medicare Part A, importantly. The Streamlined Program might not be the best way to get current if she owes Self-Employment Tax for many years going back even as far as 1979 and if she highly values U.S. Social Security benefits -- a reasonable thing to do since they are valuable. But "it depends." If she has never been self-employed it's a moot issue.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you are looking for trouble then file a return, otherwise do nothing for now. You can die of old age before they get around to her.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Hello alter ego . Thanks for your interests . The bank is in DR , and because of FATCA that bank is asking my friend to fill the form W9 , since I have explained She is an American Citizen living and working in DR . She doesn't have any tax issues here in DR because she is an government worker and her taxes are payroll withheld . The question is what would be the implications after she files the form asked for the RD bank providing her SS number , and the bank send that information to the ISR ? I know that she must have had filed her federal taxes since she began to earn money here in DR , but as she have missed doing so I Wonder how many prior years of federal taxes she needs to file in order to comply with AMERICAN Ferderal tax laws

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post #36 seems to answer the question. Moving this to Legal would accomplish nothing, because our legal expert is a Dominican attorney.

Mr. ManInDR

Sep 25, 2015
If you are looking for trouble then file a return, otherwise do nothing for now. You can die of old age before they get around to her.

Sky I Think She must file the form W9 to keep her bank account open
Once the form is submitted to the IRS the problem will begin anyway
I think

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Why is it a problem?
You are allowed to have a bank account.
It DOES not need to be declared under $10K.
The problem is not filing 25 years of tax returns, just ignore the IRS if they ever come close to contacting your girl.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
All banks are getting tighter....everywhere

Some are calling in companies that have shares issued in 'Bearer' form.
They want the owners designated.