Questions on Boca Chica vs. Sosua

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
Sosua my vote

On your budget I would suggest Sosua (even though I would suggest you bring a little more than $300US).

1) Boca Chica doesn't have very great nightlife as previous posters have mentioned if Sosua doesn't interest you on some nights you can easily get to Cabarete or Puerto Plata too...

2) The beach isn't as nice. Sosua beach is gorgeous and clean.

I live here in the south, but I often love to visit Sosua myself.

Last edited:

ikelove

Mar 11, 2008
I really thank everyone for their generous and kind advice. It seems then that Sosua it is! I know now then this is the wrong thread as my questions now will switch over to Sosua, but, how much should you expect to spend on food per day?

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i've found food to be very cheap depending on where and what you eat. when i'm in sosua or BC i mainly eat at dominican places which is very cheap. i'm also very thin so i go to the supermercado and get my snacks from there.
for me, 20 bucks at day is usual for me. i'm sure others who are not so thin may have a different opinion. :laugh:
oh yeah, you need a Presidente budget....

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Every time I'm in BC I get this really creeped-out feeling.

Go to Sosua. Cleaner, better food and lodging, more fun altogether. It's an hour to Santiago if you want to get away from tourist areas.

Hang at Rocky's, you'll find folks with a wealth of information.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
BC if fine...if all you want is warm weather and to just get away. I pm'd the OP and i sorta suggested Sosua...only because the nightlife is really lame...and traveling back and forth to Santo Domingo at night can become expensive.

they really have cleaned up BC. THe hookers dont come out till late at night and they only hang out on one block...the rest of the blocks are maily older euro families.

THere are quieter and nicer beaches near by...but except for on sundays or hollidays...the water is always great in BC. I snorkel and I can see the ocean floor when i am well over my head. (and can always see my feet lol).

I also like going the big waves at Playa Caribe, going to Guavaberry & Juan Dolio and other beaches in the area. And then I like going to the capital for some real nightlife...not just touristy areas.

I think a good alternative for any traveler who is not a total beach bum (as i am...i am not into the sex trade). would be to stay in santo domingo and travel to different beaches etc durring the day. I LOVE the capital!!! BC is fun with friends...but yeah..the nightlife is skeevy and not fun if you are solo and NOT looking for hookers). Its not as bad as people say...just not much to do if you dont leave BC (thats not always a bad thing tho...just depends what you are looking for)

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
the water is always great in BC. I snorkel and I can see the ocean floor when i am well over my head. (and can always see my feet lol).
You do know that BC beach water is polluted, don't you?
The last DR governmental warning that I saw, mentioned the danger of contracting genital diseases, amongst other things.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It should be cleaned up by now.
Autoridades limpian la playa Boca Chica - DiarioLibre.com
Derrame de fuel-oil afecta la playa Boca Chica y alrededores - DiarioLibre.com

Don't pick on Jrzyguy, Boca Chica is his paradise.
What is a genital disease, anything like an STD contracted via an oil spill?

tambo'
Sorry to break this to you, Mr. Tambo, but I'm talking about pollution that you don't get to see.
This predates the oil spill by 10 years.
The oil spill was just a bit of bonus to the already poisonous water.
I wouldn't stick my big toe in there, even if it was wrapped up in Saran Wrap.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I really thank everyone for their generous and kind advice. It seems then that Sosua it is! I know now then this is the wrong thread as my questions now will switch over to Sosua, but, how much should you expect to spend on food per day?

I'm clearly a Rocky's fan, where you can eat quite well and be in good company for between $5-10 usd. That said, there are a ton of restaurants in Sosua and Cabarete that offer a good variety of food at reasonable prices. The most I've paid in 5 years was $20 for chicken parmigiana (including soup salad, and two sides) at Morua Moi (sp). To me, it was worth it, as I was completely grossed out by the "offerings" at the Casa Marina dinner buffet.

Check out Dominican Republic Food Guide.Restaurants Review.Your Restaurant Guide. for some of the other options. But I'd still make Rocky's your home base.

Good luck.

ikelove

Mar 11, 2008
Again, thanks for answering my questions, you guys have been very helpful. I have changed my mind and decided to go to Sosua. Do they have a cover charge for the clubs/bars in Sosua?

A

apostropheman

I spend a good portion of my DR time, more than half, in and around BC but it does not compare favorably to Sosua unless you already have friends there IMO.

It's not just my opinion either as an increasing number of people seem to be turning away from the BC area. I will avoid it myself as soon as I can.

Here's another big BC fan.....not :D
Sin City Along The Sands, Boca Chica Tourism and Things to Do - IgoUgo

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
I have not met Rocky yet, that I know of ,because I've frequented Sosua since 2003 and because I understand just a little bit of spanish I send all my friends to Sosua because you can get around pretty good without it, whereas you might have communication problems anywhere else other than Caberette, which I think would be more expensive. In fact I have a friend that will be going to DR in June and he wants to stay in an all inclusive, but I will make sure he gives Rocky a visit. But as suggested by others, make sure you have your ATM card, because money will go when you run into your future ex-wife and you don't want to be in any poor country with no money and no friends to go to, you might find yourself in Western Union in line next to me. I have sent other friends there , with no problems reported and I know as a man, you will have fun, enjoy the beach and what the beaches have to offer.

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
what a friggen liar. i asked you to show me reports on polution...and you give me nothing back. I have swam in those waters for years...never a problem. please..post your facts in public

A few years ago I spoke to the people that produced an environmental report on Boca Chica water quality, it wasn't good news. If my memory serves me correctly, they were sponsored by a UN initiative on sustainable tourism and beach quality. I think you will also find reef check has done similar studies on the reef and surrounding water in BC and come up with similar results.

The problem is the amount of sewage that goes into all the small streams that feed the lagoon. The dredging done many years ago means the water does not move and naturally filter. After it rains it's much worse as more waste is washed into these small feeder rivers.

This particular topic has been covered many times on this board.
It ends here, any more posts on this topic in this thread will be removed, so don't bother wasting your time posting.

LuvtheDR

Apr 4, 2004
just a quick thank you for an honest and sincere reply. I gotta say when i was there last May the water was pretty stagnant and had a definite odor to it...someone said "the ocean has its period too". but when i was there in february...the tides were higher...so the water was coming over the reef.. and there were even small waves and a strong current...so the water "looked" clean. I swear...when i had my mask on i could see the bottom from at least 20 feet.

One last thing...i was sick all winter long...but after my 8 days in BC (and after my food poisining from my friend)...i have been fit at as a fiddle and have not vomited once since coming home!

again..thanks for the serious and honest reply about the polution.

Did you not quite understand Robert's post?

This particular topic has been covered many times on this board.
It ends here, any more posts on this topic in this thread will be removed, so don't bother wasting your time posting.

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
From what I understand now, the DR government has come out and said Boca Chica IS polluted?