Questions on Guns

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
This was from a reliable source. It wouldn't be civilian ownership if it were based on profession and not recreation. Security operations vary quite a bit. There are plenty of use and or need for long barrel weapons for various environments, i.e. Short Barrel Rifles (SBR's) are popular within that field because they are close and mid range capable. Unfortunately, there's no for sure way to get such a permit from what I'm told. That's why I am asking on here to see what the DR1'ers with varying degrees of experiences and professions can advise on.

To me, the information I collect on here are just part of my due diligence. So I appreciate all relevant input.

Thanks!

You can spin you can twist this ain’t the USA ...here you can have a security company with grandpa sleeping with shotgun on lap who fires up in the air when diapers get full and that’s as good as it gets here...hire bodyguard with gun... and the last I will say on this topic is there is no such thing as reliable source in DR even if Prez told you himself... 

Sua Sponte

Dec 29, 2017
You can spin you can twist this ain’t the USA ...here you can have a security company with grandpa sleeping with shotgun on lap who fires up in the air when diapers get full and that’s as good as it gets here...hire bodyguard with gun... and the last I will say on this topic is there is no such thing as reliable source in DR even if Prez told you himself... 

You got me all wrong. I live in the DR already. I am familiar with what you suggest. I know this is not the States. I am simply challenging opinions versus fact. I am also searching for information from people with relevant experience and not opinions from anyone without related experience to the specific topic of rifles. But that is besides the point. I am merely collecting information based on as much fact as I can in an attempt to paint a picture. Even if that means I have to sort through opinions to try and put together an idea of what the reality is. I appreciate all input, but I do not care much for anyone who wants to go on tangents as to what they assume I am asking the question for in the first place. Let us stay on the subject of the question being asked.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
No I doubt I got you wrong...never sad you live in states...you just don’t like the Answrs the good people from this forum gave you, , your own lawyer gave you an answer and your still here.. fact no civilian is allowed to own or carry prohibited weapon..
http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/dominican-republic .. research all you want now ..fact  in 30 yrs only seen illegal rifles...25 yrs shooting of  ipsc would love just 22lr for roosters that wake me in morning ...fact it ain’t happening..
Fact! This topic has run course and should be closed

Sua Sponte

Dec 29, 2017
You have me wrong for the very reason of you thinking that your opinion is useful. Everybody else here has been polite and their opinions were noted. I was trying to be respectful and hint at the FACT that you have no relevant experience. Therefore, maybe you should go bother a different forum with your keyboard warrior antics. I'm here for courteous and professional opinions based on work experience and not based on "I'm an expert" because I shot at the range... And if you spend 30 years in DR, then you should have long learned the fact that not everything that can happen "legally" is written within their law. But enough of that. I hope you understand and you stop posting useless information on this forum.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
This was from a reliable source. It wouldn't be civilian ownership if it were based on profession and not recreation. Security operations vary quite a bit. There are plenty of use and or need for long barrel weapons for various environments, i.e. Short Barrel Rifles (SBR's) are popular within that field because they are close and mid range capable. Unfortunately, there's no for sure way to get such a permit from what I'm told. That's why I am asking on here to see what the DR1'ers with varying degrees of experiences and professions can advise on.

To me, the information I collect on here are just part of my due diligence. So I appreciate all relevant input.

Thanks!

What you must understand that a new gun law has been introduced in this country with the specific aim of reducing/controlling gun ownership, reducing the types of guns permitted and increasing significantly the penalties for non compliance. The rules of application are still being developed and that could impact current legal owners too.

It came about through a spike in criminal activity using guns other than the accepted previous restricted law to allow gun ownership for self preservation only.

The simple fact is that without the rules of application in place no one even the current gun owners know how things will pan out over the coming months and their continual licensing may remain uncertain.

DR is aiming to control and limit gun ownership and there is nothing wrong with that. Criminal elements will always obtain the illegal (and they murder police officers to get hold of hand guns here in DR for this reason). But don't get paranoid about gun crime here because expats are rarely the target.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
And if you spend 30 years in DR, then you should have long learned the fact that not everything that can happen "legally" is written within their law.[/QUOTE]  
  Well Sir with 21 post  and asking on public forum for something that can’t be done legally here , and keep on insisting it can ,the only fare conclusion is your looking for someone to propina into a permit which won’t happen in today’s climate and you shouldn’t do on public forum either...only took 21 posts for your true colours to come out...

Sua Sponte

Dec 29, 2017
And if you spend 30 years in DR, then you should have long learned the fact that not everything that can happen "legally" is written within their law.

Well Sir with 21 post  and asking on public forum for something that can’t be done legally here , and keep on insisting it can ,the only fare conclusion is your looking for someone to propina into a permit which won’t happen in today’s climate and you shouldn’t do on public forum either...only took 21 posts for your true colours to come out...[/QUOTE]

You're right. You should know me after 21 posts on a forum. That type of logic is juvenile. My fact finding mission is beyond what is needed for personal and recreational use. But keep assuming you know me and/or my intentions. You're obviously in need of a better hobby if you think that any amount of tenure or amount of posts warrants any amount of respect. You keep posting banter that is annoying. Please stop.

Sua Sponte

Dec 29, 2017
What you must understand that a new gun law has been introduced in this country with the specific aim of reducing/controlling gun ownership, reducing the types of guns permitted and increasing significantly the penalties for non compliance. The rules of application are still being developed and that could impact current legal owners too.

It came about through a spike in criminal activity using guns other than the accepted previous restricted law to allow gun ownership for self preservation only.

The simple fact is that without the rules of application in place no one even the current gun owners know how things will pan out over the coming months and their continual licensing may remain uncertain.

DR is aiming to control and limit gun ownership and there is nothing wrong with that. Criminal elements will always obtain the illegal (and they murder police officers to get hold of hand guns here in DR for this reason). But don't get paranoid about gun crime here because expats are rarely the target.

Thank you for your insight. I do understand how not "black and white" the system seems to be after hearing several peoples' opinions on here. This seems consistent with a lot of things in DR. I like to hear the different perspectives. And of course, most of those perspectives are similar in the sense that it will either be impossible to do or too expensive to make happen. I'm not hellbent on making this happen. I just like to get as much information to assist in making an educated decision. Also, I am not paranoid about the crime. I have survived well in much worse places. A pistol should be more than enough for Personal Protection. I have my reasons for inquiring about the other weapon systems and I believe I received plenty of useful (and some not so useful) information.

Thank you to everyone who gave relevant info.

Respectfully,

Sua Sponte

May 5, 2007

Well Sir with 21 post  and asking on public forum for something that can’t be done legally here , and keep on insisting it can ,the only fare conclusion is your looking for someone to propina into a permit which won’t happen in today’s climate and you shouldn’t do on public forum either...only took 21 posts for your true colours to come out...

You're right. You should know me after 21 posts on a forum. That type of logic is juvenile. My fact finding mission is beyond what is needed for personal and recreational use. But keep assuming you know me and/or my intentions. You're obviously in need of a better hobby if you think that any amount of tenure or amount of posts warrants any amount of respect. You keep posting banter that is annoying. Please stop.[/QUOTE]

Sua, are you asking about semi auto rifles such as AR 15 or something like a .308 bolt action?

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
It seems that after all these posts, my original question of who or what do you plan to shoot is relevant after all. You must be planning to use your weapon(s). Otherwise you wouldn't need such specific answers. Just asking....?