Question's

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
When they make too much food, often they do not have a proper fridge to store the leftovers in. Maybe over the years they got used to not eating leftovers. I know many Dominicans who refuse to eat them - ever!

I thought that also, but more like inconsistent electricity is what makes them think that refrigerated leftovers are unworthy of eating again. But now I think it is because only "poor people" eat leftovers or have to eat them. Remember most of this food is fed to dogs and cats when they dont want it. So they may figure out why would I or should I eat food that I throw to the dogs? "I may be impoverished but I am not poor."

On a side note, I dont think the dogs like it that much anyway as skinny and mangy as they all look.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Another quirk here is the presence of either a candle or a book of matches on top of the toilet bowl lid. You light the matches to dissapate the gasses that eminate from your posterior to avoid others having to smell them. Just be careful after eating your beans, that you dont blow yourself up along with the bathroom.

It's for power outages while pooping.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
When they make too much food, often they do not have a proper fridge to store the leftovers in. Maybe over the years they got used to not eating leftovers. I know many Dominicans who refuse to eat them - ever!

Most of the time it doesn't matter if they have or no a fridge the left over will be thrown away because the lack of electricity.
I can add that for most Dominicans it's a shame to take home the left over when going to a restaurant, if you ever do this will see the waiter taking the plate to the kitchen in order to put your food in a box and of course in black plastic bag.

This is a common Dominican phase; Yo ni como sobra ni comida calenta!

Dominican pride of always having a fresh meal.

JJ

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
In my experience the custom of taking home a "doggy bag" from a restaurant is common here but almost unknown in Europe.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Thats correct Chiri, its not a custom in Europe to take home a doggy bag.

I couldn't believe it, the first time I saw it here in the US !! Nice custom though !

Then again, with the portions in Europe, I don't see how ones would have anything left to take home :)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
That has to be more common than most folks here realize. I hardly know ANYONE that eats leftovers here, no matter what it is.
Really? Alida's family throws nothing away, nor do we.

Leftovers are the faire 2 times a week at least. The secret is preparing food worthy of leftovers.

Builders tell me the old drains in houses were smaller diameter. Soft waste could get flushed easily but a big wad of paper wouldn't. Todays construction is MUCH different and drain pipes are larger diameter. TP should be no problem.

And TP quickly degrades in a septic system. No need for a 5-times-around-the-wrist wad when 4-6 sheets will do the job quite well (unless you're Sheryl Crow ;)). But an occasional septic treatment with enzymes is a worthy investment.

Septic syustems here are rarely installed with decent drain tile from what I've been told. Just a tank. I assume it's a cost issue, because septic systems have been successfully used around the world for many, many years..

bigwhiskey

Aug 29, 2010
Sorry but I don't get it. Isn't a non used leftover - wasted food? Am I missing something?

AND I agree either way it is not good.
A non used leftover is a waste but when you knowingly over load a plate of food eat less than half and throw in garbage
that is what ****es me the f*ck off .Now I know why my girl will stay no more than two day's with her family when were in DR and understand when she say's the more she buy's the more is wasted.

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
It's entirely disgusting but its not a Dominican thing!
I have an inlaw that does this (and they're not Dominican).
I had to remove the waste basket in the 1/2 bath!

The food waste is obviously an individual/familial thing.
We give food away. There will always be a street vendor, the trash collectors or
a passerby that is hungry.

Ccarabella

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I couldn't believe it, the first time I saw it here in the US !! Nice custom though !

Then again, with the portions in Europe, I don't see how ones would have anything left to take home :)
Depends where - In seafood restaurants in Spain it's easy to underestimate the size of the raciones but there are always willing cats under the table to ensure nothing goes to waste.