quick spanish test in diario libre today

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Muy bien

Another good test. I scored 14/14. I skipped one because I was not familiar with what they were referring to. In my experience these mispronunciations are very Dominican specific. There is only one in the group that is universal meaning misprounced by speakers in the Spanish-speaking world in general which is haiga. I have heard it misprounced by a range of speakers. One can't pinpoint one country but in my experience it's those with limited education and those who live in rural areas who tend to say haiga instead of haya.

The article comments on the various discussions about where the best Spanish is spoken. In my opinion, in Latin America Spanish spoken in South America is better specifically in the Northern Andean countries. As well, you will hear good Spanish in Uruguay. Other than the phonetic variation and voseo usage, the Spanish is right on. Peru always gets a thumbs up.

-MP. 

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Another good test. I scored 14/14. I skipped one because I was not familiar with what they were referring to. In my experience these mispronunciations are very Dominican specific. There is only one in the group that is universal meaning misprounced by speakers in the Spanish-speaking world in general which is haiga. I have heard it misprounced by a range of speakers. One can't pinpoint one country but in my experience it's those with limited education and those who live in rural areas who tend to say haiga instead of haya.

The article comments on the various discussions about where the best Spanish is spoken. In my opinion, in Latin America Spanish spoken in South America is better specifically in the Northern Andean countries. As well, you will hear good Spanish in Uruguay. Other than the phonetic variation and voseo usage, the Spanish is right on. Peru always gets a thumbs up.

-MP. 

So, you scored 14/15.....:p

I guessed two words I never heard of: diablo cajuelo/cojuelo and complinche / compinche. (Guessed one wrong and one right). And made a stupid mistake with enjaguar / enjuagar.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Marianopolita, was it 'diablo cojuelo' the one you skipped?

Yes. Those carnival characters I don't know all the names although el Diablo Cojuelo is the main character. I skipped it to be on the safe side. I did not want to ruin my perfect score. 

-MP.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
12/15 for me. One which was surprising for me was enchufe/enchufle. I would have bet all the pesos in my pocket that it was enchufle. Go figure.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
diario libre has good sunday edition. they often have "pick your brain" tests in the subject of language, history of DR, geography of DR and so on.

i'm glad to see dr1ers interested in spanish tests. will keep on posting :)

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
diario libre has good sunday edition. they often have "pick your brain" tests in the subject of language, history of DR, geography of DR and so on.

i'm glad to see dr1ers interested in spanish tests. will keep on posting :)

Absolutely! Keep posting.

One test that I found interesting is the one on refranes which is in a link at the bottom of the first test you posted. I like refranes and I actually quiz myself on them on a regular basis both in Spanish and English pero caramba es un reto. Simply some you know and some you don't.

-MP.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
12/15 for me. One which was surprising for me was enchufe/enchufle. I would have bet all the pesos in my pocket that it was enchufle. Go figure.

Linguistically, there is a name for this phenomenon and there are more examples in the quiz. When I have a moment I will dig up my references and refresh my knowledge. It's all tied to sociolinguistics. Believe it or not some of these are only tied to Spanish spoken in the Caribbean.

-MP.

Last edited:

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
15/15, took test before reading the rest of the thread in case some answers were posted. Missed 2 on the previous test though.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
14/15 - Lucky guesses with Chinchina and María but I got Macondo wrong because I clicked too quickly.

On the other hand, there is a typo in Alfonsina Storni's name. She was the inspiration for this beautiful song.

[video=youtube_share;eU1Hpc_iqL8]https://youtu.be/eU1Hpc_iqL8[/video]

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
My much-younger half beat me, but I had to teach her how to pronounce 'Flaubert.' And I also know the lyrics to Macondo.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
A 7/15 for me, and I will admit there were some lucky guesses for the 7. I see where I am lacking here, and will have to start dedicating time to these topics. Thank you dv8 for posting.