Rains!

Aug 21, 2007
Not sure if down the mountain they are experiencing rains. But here in Jamao we have rain loads equivalent to some of the worst tropical storms I have experienced.

At 2:30 p.m. today roads were flooded with about a foot of rain. Our learning center had water. Strong rains have not stopped and I understand rivers have overflowed. Houses are under water. Chickens are floating down the roads. Thunder continues on and off while rains pound.

Already I cancelled classes for tomorrow.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I live on a road that is up from the main highway. All the way down there is a ditch being formed on the edge of the street and it is getting deeper with every rain. I went down to the highway and saw that it is covered in rocks and gravel. Its a real hazard for motorcycles.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I live on a road that is up from the main highway. All the way down there is a ditch being formed on the edge of the street and it is getting deeper with every rain. I went down to the highway and saw that it is covered in rocks and gravel. Its a real hazard for motorcycles.

Where?

Aug 21, 2007
Rains stopped here for now. The silence is something I have never experienced. No motos. No roosters. No music. No laughing and talking. Incredible.

But now, thunder in the distance.

My employees say their houses have water and fallen walls. Another had to evacuate because the river rose and was almost in her house.

Those who live with just a little suffer most. We all must keep perspective with our silly complaints.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
1713354124821.jpeg

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
When it rains, it pours.

My Shade Kiosk didn't make it, and the box with the last kiosk that didn't make it burst open again.
D03F27BD80C4_1713355597978.jpg

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
This is part of living in the tropics, unfortunately. Either too much rain or not enough. Here in Jarabacoa we got rained on heavily, but here the rivers are well below most houses, thankfully plus there is still heavy forest cover, and that help absorb at lot of the water. At least they haven't closed the schools, yet.

Reactions: RDKNIGHT and Jumbo

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
You do the math on how high it was. From one foot to six in 15 minutes
View attachment 8916

I'm really sorry to hear this. I can't imagine how upset you must be feeling today. I guess the consolation is that everyone made it safely, and things can always be replaced but lives can't.

Where was your property? Was it close to a river or beside a mountain?

Reactions: Jumbo

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
When it rains, it pours.

My Shade Kiosk didn't make it, and the box with the last kiosk that didn't make it burst open again.
View attachment 8918
Yes JD, live and learn. Bob, I knew this day would come but I was in denial. I lived near Lindsey in Palo Roto Jamao 10 years ago. My buddy Sosua Billy is laughing his a$$ off in his grave. He always told me stay put in the mountain.

Reactions: LindseyKaufman

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
I'm really sorry to hear this. I can't imagine how upset you must be feeling today. I guess the consolation is that everyone made it safely, and things can always be replaced but lives can't.

Where was your property? Was it close to a river or beside a mountain?
Maranatha. Too close to the river. I’m off the main road Bella Vista on the left about a kilometer in. A beautiful little side street that dead ends to the river.
The next left down.
1713357163757.jpeg

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Maranatha. Too close to the river. I’m off the main road Bella Vista on the left about a kilometer in. A beautiful little side street that dead ends to the river.
The next left down.
View attachment 8919

Every single one of us who lives here has had these terrible moments. This is not an easy country. We recover, we move on, we survive.

Reactions: Jumbo

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Thanks to the advice I got from DR1 and the many ex-pats I have met I rent for now. Until I can retire and live full time in the area. So hopefully others will learn also. I am not stuck with a worthless house. I was looking at land or a house further away and up the mountain. I think the price of higher ground just went up. Live and learn.