Ramfis Domínguez Trujillo: Next President of Dominican Republic?

Should Ramfis Domínguez Trujillo be allowed to run for the presidency in 2020?

• Yes, he's a Dominican and isn't responsible for the things his grandfather did.

Votes: 40 74.1%
  • Yes, but I'm not too comfortable having him as president.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • No, he's a Trujillo. 'Nuff said!

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Whatever... I'm indifferent.

Votes: 3 5.6%

• Total voters

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
It is with deep regret that I read your responses, as I truly can not comprehend why you prefer to take such a negative, and quite honestly, insulting approach to my statements. This is an internet forum where people can exchange ideas, and thereby engage in polite conversation. I can assure you there is not much, if anything, within my life that can be construed as "imaginary". If it is analytical support you are seeking, would it help pass your sniff test if I said at a meeting of Santa's reindeer last night, it was voted upon that Rudolph would once again pull Santa's sleigh this year? I heard the vote was unanimous, but due to time constraints the vote to support Ramfis Domínguez Trujillo's bid for high office was pushed back until January 2018. Please, stop the foolery, enjoy the season, and don't be so paranoid and argumentative. The whole world is not trying to mislead you.

"This is an internet forum where people can exchange ideas, and thereby engage in polite conversation".
I agree completely. I would however suggest in the future since some of us with open minds look to learn about this country we choose to live in prefer to learn and know more about the D.R. like facts that you present your "ideas" as such as opposed to presenting them as facts.

I sincerely wish you a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Sep 20, 2003
The Dominican Poor

Since the low class masses decide the vote in DR and are bought with food and bonogas I don’t expect him to have any chance against the same old characters. Too bad for DR but they’ll be stuck with Danilo if he manages to change the constitution once again or Leonel if that doesn’t work out.

Trujillo's base of support was the poor, not the tiny rich or middle classes. His enemies (and eventually assassins) came from the upper classes. Trujillo redistributed land to the peasants, supported a massive expansion of public education, and created rural hospitals and clinics to help the Dominican peasantry. Trujillo did more than just provide a bag of food and cheap plastic toys at Christmas. He gave the average Dominican an opportunity.

Perhaps you right. Today's lower classes are too easily bought off to elect another Trujillo.

Trujillo really gave nothing away for free. Dominicans were expected to work extremely hard, be highly productive, and to contribute to society. People had to earn their children's education and free (or at least affordable) medical care. How many people today would be willing to do all of that?

The poor under Trujillo did see vast improvements in their lives (by the mid 1950s the electrical grid extended to even smallest hamlets in rural areas, as well running water being piped in,and the electricity was always on tap along with the water), but the reality is, the peasants knew that the true benefits of Trujillo's rule would be long term, that is, their children would have far better lives they did.

Can the grandson offer such things? Can he offer true opportunity?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Trujillo's base of support was the poor, not the tiny rich or middle classes. His enemies (and eventually assassins) came from the upper classes. Trujillo redistributed land to the peasants, supported a massive expansion of public education, and created rural hospitals and clinics to help the Dominican peasantry. Trujillo did more than just provide a bag of food and cheap plastic toys at Christmas. He gave the average Dominican an opportunity.

Perhaps you right. Today's lower classes are too easily bought off to elect another Trujillo.

Trujillo really gave nothing away for free. Dominicans were expected to work extremely hard, be highly productive, and to contribute to society. People had to earn their children's education and free (or at least affordable) medical care. How many people today would be willing to do all of that?

The poor under Trujillo did see vast improvements in their lives (by the mid 1950s the electrical grid extended to even smallest hamlets in rural areas, as well running water being piped in,and the electricity was always on tap along with the water), but the reality is, the peasants knew that the true benefits of Trujillo's rule would be long term, that is, their children would have far better lives they did.

Can the grandson offer such things? Can he offer true opportunity?
The Trujillo angst isn't so much about what he did regarding his plans, but the brutality of how he did it.

Sep 20, 2003
In terms of sheer numbers, the peasants suffered more because they made up virtually the entire population. The Dominican upper class was tiny. But Trujillo seized houses, land, and money from the upper classes. He also robbed a lot of the blue bloods of their dignity (and daughters). Trujillo was extremely petty and wanted revenge for every slight (real or perceived) that he had ever suffered (such as the destruction of the most prominent private social club in the country).

Poor Dominicans had long suffered at the hands of the elite, so many of them didn't really care when Trujillo went after 'the fat ones.'

I don't believe that Dominicans would vote for a grandson hoping he would bring back Trujillo's brutality. They are hoping for a new Jefe who can do what Trujillo did without bloodshed.

Trujillo created a sizable middle class, but in doing so he had sown the seeds of his destruction. Educated middle class citizens want to have a say in how things are run. They want democracy. A lot of the opposition came from middle class army officers, university students, lawyers, doctors, etc. The assassin leadership came from the upper classes (many of them from former caudillo families).

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2003
Trujillo was extremely petty and wanted revenge for every slight (real or perceived) that he had ever suffered (such as the destruction of the most prominent private social club in the country).

The post was written in haste, and so there were a few typos. What I should have written was:

'The destruction of the most prominent private social club in the country was an example of this'.

Trujillo was humiliated when, while still an Army general, he was denied admittance to the club. It was a humiliation Trujillo was eager to redress. And he did so quickly upon taking power.

May 12, 2005
The post was written in haste, and so there were a few typos. What I should have written was:

Trujillo was humiliated when, while still an Army general, he was denied admittance to the club. It was a humiliation Trujillo was eager to redress. And he did so quickly upon taking power.

Yes, he was not a fan of the monied class who didn't accept him even after reaching prestigious rank in the military. He certainly reduced their influence and created a middle class in the process.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Details, please!

P.S. Do you have a record player?
I don't have one myself but I'm making inquiries to access one. Will certainly report once I've listened to it. I heard him over the radio as a child here; didn't understand the content then but remember his squeaky, not very masculine voice.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Someone shared this with me on Facebook.

Apparently, yesterday on the Facebook page of “El Profe Show” a poll was held where for about an hour and a half Dominicans could vote “Yes” if they would vote for Ramfis Domínguez Trujillo and “No” if they would not. During the entire time a Merengue from the Era of Trujillo played in the background.

The results:

9_B172_B8_B-4_FC9-4308-_B99_C-3_E5_AD34_E3_FF8.png

[video]https://www.facebook.com/ElProfeshow/videos/1803095046659804/[/video]

There are hundreds of responses in the link too, the vast majority in favor.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
In the previous post I placed a link that originally didn't work. I fixed it, DR1ers should be able to see the page and the thousands of comments.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
As copied from the report within DR1 news of 30 January:

Ramfis Trujillo takes steps to seek the presidency in 2020
The Democratic Hope Party (PED), led by Ramfis Domínguez Trujillo, grandson of former dictator Rafael L. Trujillo, announced he would sign an agreement with the Democratic Institutional Party (PDI), led by Ismael Reyes.

According to a press release, the agreement is a first step to seek the presidential candidacy for the party in the 2020 general election as part of a would-be Nationalist Opposition Front (Freno).

Dominguez Trujillo was proclaimed as the candidate for the PED on 6 December 2017. The party has yet to be recognized by the Central Electoral Board (JCE). Domínguez Trujillo promises to fight wrongdoings such as corruption and the supposed invasion of Haitians.

http://almomento.net/partido-de-ramf...comicios-2020/

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
How to contradict yourself while remaining oblivious to it:

Insist that grandson should not be held accountable... WHILE obviously demonstrating attraction based on familiarity with last name.

Just sayin'...

Carry on, soldiers.

Sep 4, 2012
My vote if I could vote in the DR would go for the PRM, Abinader and now Dr Santiago Hazim as POTDR and VPOTDR respectively. The DR had enough of the same as is, Hipolito, Leonel and the rest are just too uncouth to do this country social and political justice.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Ramfis Domínguez Trujillo is against the massive illegal immigration from Haiti.

[video=youtube;MMRZUX2RYSU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMRZUX2RYSU[/video]