Ravaged by Dominican Customs

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
pescador said:
?9-11% tax for imported goods? I was understanding it was in the neighborhood of 50-60%.
from another thread about importing kit cars.

OK, please someone clear this air. If I import sporting equipment into the DR, whats the "out the door" tax rate I'll pay?
? Both the extreme high (read: getting robbed and spat on) and the best I can hope for?

Pib?

Pescador
There's no flat rate. It depends on what you import. It is not the same to import medicine than to import flat screen TVs.

Get thee a broker.

Seachange

Jan 13, 2004
www.Banker-Trust.com
pescador said:
?9-11% tax for imported goods? I was understanding it was in the neighborhood of 50-60%.
from another thread about importing kit cars.

OK, please someone clear this air. If I import sporting equipment into the DR, whats the "out the door" tax rate I'll pay?
? Both the extreme high (read: getting robbed and spat on) and the best I can hope for?

Pib?

Pescador

The most you'll pay is 100%. The best you can hope for is 50%.

pescador

Apr 19, 2004
I know there is not flat rate. I just want some idea what I might expect, both extreme possibilities (or maybe i should just say the most probable rate range.) ONe guys saying ~10% in this tread, my impression from the "sticky" (not the car kits thread) was 57%. There has got to be a better idea of range than that.

?Anyone import sporting equipment for resale from the US?

Pescador

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
pescador said:
I know there is not flat rate. I just want some idea what I might expect, both extreme possibilities (or maybe i should just say the most probable rate range.) ONe guys saying ~10% in this tread, my impression from the "sticky" (not the car kits thread) was 57%. There has got to be a better idea of range than that.

Pescador
There's not such thing as "sporting equipment" on the books. It depends on what exactly you are importing.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
pescador said:

Pescador

Pescador, between 0% and 100%. That's your range. Now go and get a broker and he/she will give you a better estimate. Get it, the quality and ability and connections of the broker will determine the range...

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
You will hear it over and over and over again on these boards. Spend at least a year here, learn the language, learn the culture, learn the laws (even if they apply to you and they don't obey them), and understand the people. Then travel around this island. Yes it is only an island but it is a big island. It has millions of people that speak different dialects as well as customs practiced. It has different seasons from one side of the island then the other. Find out where you want to settle down. Then most important of all... connections, connections, connections!!!

Good luck and welcome to the DR!

Guxs

Feb 22, 2005
I was reading your story, and I has the same feelings when I arrived, this is what I do now:
Go whit the flow! you are in hell!!!, get a good custom broker.
If you don?t have any, give me a call, I will introduce you mine, one?s of the best in all terrains! ja!
Gus:809-1-443-0403

and welcome to the jungle!

rgds