re: Dominican Elite "Revisited"

J

Joachim

Re: Dumb-inican elite

Even more disgusting are the Dominicans who live in the US and return to SD or other places. They are tacky, lound, rude, love to show off.

You should see them in Boca Chica at the gym. They come in really loud, showing their gold chains and the stupid style of clothing(I think that kind that rapper wear) flashing US dollars and demanding attention.

Of course the only attention that they get is no attention. A friend of mine used to own a travel agency in NY. These Dominicans would argue, bicker, and fight for the cheapest airfair that they could possibly get. Then they would pay up to $600 US dollars to bring the cheapest, tackiest gifts for their families, just to try to impress them.

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: Canadians dont flaunt money?

Let us be serious here. Millionaires in all countries flaunt their money. Lets not be naive.

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: Kennedys dont flaunt their what?

The Kennedy family is one of the snubbiest and most discriminatory family in the world. Do you know how they call the area they live in..The Kennedy compound". They have made Hyannis Port an exclusive Kennedy town. Their siblings go to colleges like Brown University, schools that are strictly for the very rich. They do not drive. They fly their own private planes and helicopters.

Jackie Kennedy made Madison Avenue famous with her shopping sprees in the finest boutiques of New York and made Chanel hanbags the signature for the superrich. She never married anybody who was not a multimillionaire. So, please dont say the poor Kennedys dont flaunt their money.

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: Onions and C-Just a thought

Bill Gates just built the most expensive, most outrageous and lavish house in the world. Flaunting power has been the name of his game. He is the biggest, most dangerous monopolist in the world, because he wants to monopolize communications, namely Internet and everything that has to do with sofware. If you dont believe me ask the US Justice Department. What he gives to charity helps him more than the charities he helps, because he deducts all that from his income taxes and gets a lot of public relations out of it, just like a corrupt polititian, buying an image.

Do you think somebody who is listed again as the richest man on earth is not flaunting?

As to your disbelief that a School like St. George or Carol Morgan costs $200,000, I was being conservative. In essence, it will cost you about $500,000 a year to keep a student in one of those schools, when you include food,gasoline for the Jeepeta, driver salary,books, school activities and tours, gifts to the teachers in Christmas and end of year,uniforms, sports equipment,money for charity functions,tutoring,summer camp,wheeled book carriage,fancy pens and markers,lab top computers,notebooks,library penalty fees,cellular phones,and on and on. You may ask any parent of one of their students and they can confirm what I said.

J

Joachim

Re: Kennedys dont flaunt their what?

A Jew from Florida once told me that "Whats the use of having money if you cant show it".

T

Tom F.

I understand completely where you and O & C are coming from. I is difficult for me to see how domestics and labors are treated by their employers. I also would like to add that I have met a number of very nice wealthy Dominicans. You are right about 15th century feudalistic mentalilty that still exist in the country. The system needs changes and good people get caught up in the mess. As a business manager in the DR I also had problems when I significantly raised an employee's wages because they were doing such a great job. They worked less afterwards. The idea is that the higher you go up the ladder, the less work you have to do. Sometimes people thought I was a little crazy because I like to get my hands dirty and yet I was the boss. The "sweet life" is not having to take care of yourself and having all of your daily chores done by others. If these people could earn a living wage, then maybe the could maintain some dignity.

As far as the Dominican Yorks coming back; there are many expectations on you when you move to the states. It would be an insult not to take some gifts back and Dominicans aren't pendejos so give them credit for getting good prices on airline tickets. Try to understand where those kids are coming from when they are obnoxious. Many are growing up or living in tough neigborhoods, probably do not have much of an education, a feel they are something special because many of their friends and familiy members tell them how lucky they are to live in the states. I enjoy observing the social condition, but you can't let others get to you. Just be happy that you are not like that.

T

Tom F.

Thankx

Abraham, I appreciate the compliment. I try real hard to be as objective as possible and have seen the DR from a variety of angles. I like to tell people, "Tengo cartorce anos comiendo la bandera Domincana casi todos los dias. Por eso, un mitad de mi corozon es Dominicano." The only difference is, we eat it at night here is the states.

S

SCARAMOOCH

Re: Dumb-inican Yorks=jerks

Joachim, amazing of this board, I expressed the exact sentiments almost berbatim about load mouth Dominicans comming from NY, guess what? I was deleted and banned from this board. Back then I was refering to the "getto gangsta" attitude that young Dominicans emmulate from American rappers and city gang, and with them they bring American style crimes. In trujillo's time this people would be in a hole some where or the bottom of the ocean.

R

Rafael

I would support the Onions and Carrots mentality 100% except for one thing:

I support the idea of a cyberpark.

What is it, do you wish for the DR to remain in the stone age for ever. It's time to catch up. Remember, we have to emmulate second and first world countries. This was said several times in the past.

Rafael.

R

Rafael

Thank you very much Tom F.

I'm a Dumb-inican yol from one of the toughest neighborhoods in NYC. Yet I managed to obtain a B.S. in Computer Science, serve four years of U.S. military service and do it all while keeping my nose clean.

If a loser from Bonao, like myself, can do it, anyone can. They (Dumb-inican yols) do need to get rid of that "gangsta rapper, ghetto" mentality, however. Then, they will realize that in this great land of opportunity, they can achieve any dream.

Rafael.

J

Joachim

These Dominicans could start by sending their families some financial aid once they are abroad.

I know of many Dominicans living in Toronto, who, work very hard, live in decent neighbourhoods, and maintain their Dominican identity.

When they take charter flights to SD, they are not loud, polite in the airport, their kids dont go running all over the place, ect.

There seems to be a big difference between the Dominicans living in Canada, as opposed to the ones living in the states. I think that the Dominicans living in the US, emulate the "Getto Rapper" and other types.

Yes there are expectations when one comes back from the US and visits the DR, however, giving their families cheezy gifts from Wal Mart in order to impress is really silly.

Finally, no one said that Dominicans are pendejos. However, when you try to save some money on the cost of the airline ticket is one thing, but paying more than the cost of the ticket to bring all manner of useless things to the DR is another

O

Onions and carrots

To all who don't see the truth esp. TW

Whatever reason they have for their charities,it's there.While thier dumb-inican counterparts are trying everyday to drain the life force of the poor Dominicans.

What the hell do those beourgisie capitalist pigs want? That the entire population of the DR is at the bottom of Mona Passage. People so desperate to better their lives that they will eat their "compatriotas" in the high seas. Shanty towns along the Ozama river that the stench of death is evident everywhere. People living like troglodytes in caveman surroundings where children play and bathe in the sewers.

Tourist Watcher, do me a favor. Come down from your ivory tower and go past your iron gated dwelling. Come out and see the REAL WORLD. A country with unbelievable poverty that Americans have only seen it on those Save Africa and hunger specials.

I have seen it with my own eyes. I volunteered for Peace Corps. and what I saw in my country would make any sane person go mad.Children's bellies swollen like in Africa. No food,no water and constantly plagued by parasitic infections.

Take your MONEY that you spend on one evening at those fancy frills with elegant ladies and don't eat anything. Tell me how it feels. Then use that money and help some impoverished fellow countrymen anonymously in any form your heart sees fit.Who knows your life might take some real meaning by helping the poor and destitute.

Take a look at the REAL WORLD.

A

Abraham S.

Joaquin,

We should learn to accept others for what they are, I could say that I've seen Canadians wearing ridiculous outfits, whistling young teenage girls or boys, making asses of themselves walking holding hands with a Dominican "Grillito" .

S

SCARAMOOCH

Re: To all who don't see the truth esp. TW

O&C I thought you and TW were tight. At least thats the impression I got when you was exchanging info about fine restaurants in the DR. Did you swallow a Jekyl & Hyde pill this morning??

A

Abraham S.

Re: To all who don't see the truth esp. TW

Although I have to agree, this impresarios are "capitalistic" pigs, (well, aren't we all?), I have to say you are letting behind the corrupt government officials, stupid almost illiterate Congress people, not to mention City Officials who sit on our city halls right down to the police man who takes bribes to the guy who lives in La Cienaga who does not pay the electric bill. And yeah, now that we are talking about capitalistic pigs, let?s mention the multinationals GTE, EDESUR, the Falcon Bridge etc. etc .etc.

A

azb

Jealousy and hatred

Here we go again: from the question of the definition of a "millionare" to the life-style of a dominican yol.
People like Onions & carrots who live in a small town (or a plantation) in mao now all of the sudden knows everything about all of the dominicans. Just read his past posts and you would see that he has no idea on the dinning places in santo domingo where the elite dominicans go to socialize. He had to ask tourist watcher.
Why do we all give examples of the gangster dressed dominican york who talk loud and show off their cash? Why do we always talk about dominicans who epend every pesos on their looks and yet live poorly? Why always talk about the low lives?
I never hear anyone say anything positive about the domnicans who have a positive influence on this country. TW is the only guy on this board who seem to know about the other dominicans of whom you all are totally blind to. It shows again of where most of you derive your dominican reality from.
I personally have known many dominicans in USA who are doctors, engineers and software designers. Successful business owners and corporate executives.
Its just that when those people come to visit their home land, they are not so visible as the described dominican yol that you all talk about. Its like a hair piece that everyone seem to notice on a bald guy but no one is aware of a good piece of hair which seems so natural and blends in completely with the natural remaining hair. Does that mean there are no natural looking hair pieces in the market?
Just look, when we all talk about pakistanis or indians in usa, what comes to our minds? cab drivers and 7 eleven stores; but no one seem to mention the vast number of doctors and sergeons from the same countries in some of the finest hospitals in USA and canada. No, we always talk about the people who are visible on the streets but not the professionals and the hi class that never mix with the tourists and the foreigners in DR.

J

Joachim

Yes this is true, however, these are tourists, would Dominicans who visit for example, Spain, or Germany not look out of place?

The difference is that these Dominicans purposely try to impress everyone that they know back home.

Just go to the airport in Miami or NY or Phily when the flights to the DR are leaving and watch the Dominicans that are there. You will really be surpised.

I myself am Canadian, anytime I go to the DR I try to realize that many people living there do not have the same opportunity as myself, or the same income.

Therefore, I am on my best behaviour. I do not need to go there to humiliate others.

Unfortunately, TW is right, the majority of Candians who visit the DR go there for one week and go crazy.

Dominicans who have lived there all their lives should go there to visit their families and do so respectfully.

J

Joachim

By the way, I personally know of two Domincians who are doctors here in Toronto, I have had the pleasure of flying with them to the DR.

They were polite cultured intelligent, and above all conservative in their ways.

That I am talking about are the ones who come from NY, Miami, Phily, ect. who have had the opportunity to advance themselves, and should know that their fellow Dominicans do not have it easy.

They should be much better behaved.