re: Investment in the D.R. a blackhole?

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Get Your Facts Straight

Regarding the involvement of Dubai Ports International and Free Zone International, a Dubai government organisation from the United Arab Emirates.
My wife & I just finished working for Sultan for the last 14 years and now retired in Cabarete.
Firstly, Sultan is his name, it's not a title! His title is Executive Chairman of Ports Customs and Free Zone Authority for the Dubai Government.
Their involvment in overseas ports and free zones is a commercial venture based on management of these facilities and NOT on building them or investing in them. There is always a profit to be made and Dubai Ports have been very successful in doing the same thing in Djibouti, Saudi Arabia and other places.
That's not to say that the DR is not a place to be wary of and we have obviously voiced this opinion to our ex colleagues since this venture existed, which no doubt they have taken into consideration as they are a very astute and business like organisation.
Go vist 5* Dubai and you'll see what we mean!
We hope that the venture comes off - it could be good for lots of people and certainly for the area involved. DPI is very good at what it does!!!

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
ERICKXSON said:
look tony i have no idea what is the deal there in the DR, but here nobody spend more than one year or so, look at the Emron clowns where are they? having fun in the Caribbean most likely.

Actually quite a few people have been charged in the Enron case. The Wheels of justice in the US may be slow but they are methodical. Ask Charles keating and Micheal Milken about being able to buy themselves out of Jail Time.
Comparing fraud and corruption in the DR with the US is ridiculous at best. There are 1000's of people in the US doing thime in prison for all sorts of crimes related to fraud or corruption. How many in the DR?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Just for grins, I did a google search on 'financial scandal'. The first result page reported on scandals in the US, Asia somwhere, Japan and France. I was not interested enough to figure out how big, or how small. We all know that this stuff happens everywhere - comparisons will not make it better or worse - check it out, my country's financial scandal was smaller than your country's financial scandal. ;)

Please let this name calling and bickering not detract from a thread that was just beginning to get interesting.

Looks like we can get the inside skinny on just about every angle of this development (or non-development). I for one, would love to hear more from Peter & Alex.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Re; INVESTMENT IN D.R,,ETC.

Looks like Hipolito has done me in again! I stated last week that a meeting was to be held on Saturday reference the Megaport with the President attending along with the Dubai people. Didn't happen!!!
Was informed the meeting was postponed til this Wednesday. Won't happen because Hipolito will be in the USA sucking up to that government [along with the Ambassodor and other dignitaries(?)] for another loan. Which, in this case will turn out to be a grant, I'll bet!
Anyway, if the meeting I alluded to happens, I'll report the procedings of same as accurately as possible.
My apologies to all for raising hopes(?) of a speedy implimentation to a long standing rumor.
Texas Bill

TCIDR

Sep 7, 2003
Do you Clinton will be able to pull thru for Leonel with His Saudi investors.
I have this gut feeling that DR is going to 'kick off' as a powerhouse in the coming years - decade.
One must have to admit that DR have all the resources in house if they were to take full advantage of it.
I feel there are some eyes on the DR from Continental countries wanting to get an inch, a foot or so.
This is an old thread, but maybe it can be worked so more.....would anyone want to confirm or reject my sneaky suspicions (sp?)

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
There was a town meeting, here in Manzanillo, and presentation last week by a company who has remained in the investment background since I've been here.
It seem that their claim to fame is the building of a coal fired exectrical plant in the bay, of all places, and includes, as their expansion property, the entire area encompassing the "Nuevo Pueblo" area where most of the lower income people live.
They have presented a platt showing where the construction will take place, and to area showing where they will be building new homes for the displaced personnel. All homes are of the modern, 3-BR, 2-bath type with attractive floor plans.
This "project" came up a little over 1-1/2 years ago, about the same time as te "Megaport" revival. So, I'm not too sure about the viability/feasibility of it. What I do know is that they have had surveyers in and out for over a year now, so maybe it'll fly after all.
I'll keep on top of it and report progress as it takes place.
The project is scheduled to commence sometime in 2005.
My question, has anyone else any information about this project???

Texas Bill

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Hi Bill,
The expansion of port at Manzanillo has been under discussion for MANY years. 1996 - 2000 I used to work for David Salem who was the Hon British Consul for the North Coast & ran a Ship's Agent business here in town, He used to handle the SeaTrade ships & Ffyfes Banana ships that called into Manzanillo twice a month & the Melon ships for Debebe's operation. In 1999 (shortly after David's untimely death from cancer), I was asked to work on some ideas for the expansion of the port so that his widow could submit some proposals to various interested parties. I considered the refurbishment of the small track railway, the need for Cold Storage facility, extending & reinforcing the existing piers (to take bigger & stronger cranes to speed up loading/off-loading) & put the report through to her accordingly.

I don't THINK it was too adventurous a plan for Manzanillo (which by the way, I consider to be one of the most Beautiful areas a port can be located) & I think my then boss (David's widow) would have put forward a spirited presentation, but the whole thing came to naught. I sincerely hope that the present schemes under consideration get a far better hearing than the last time & that some forward movement for Manzanillo expansion does happen. PLEASE keep me adxised either by this board, PM &/or e-mail!! - Grahame.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Well said

Porfio_Rubirosa said:
Mondongo,

You forgot the interlocking directorates. It works like this: Mr. Blueblood is an executive, director and large owner of XYZ Industries in Charlotte, North Carolina. XYZ is a major manufacturers of widgets. And, guess what, Mr. Blueblood is also a director of the ExIm Bank, having been appointed in thanks for his generous contribution to the Republic National Committee.

XYZ Industries, using the ubiquitous Dominican "middleman", then approaches the PRD with this great idea to build a new piece of infastructure in Loma de Cabrera or some other porqueria place that, guess what, requires millions of dollars in widgets to construct.

As you mentioned, the loan will require that only US widgets be used - with a wink and a nod that the widgets will in fact come from XYZ.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, Mr. Blueblood is also on the Board of Directors at the Bank of Credit and Commerce of North Carolina, which will actually handle the transaction and get a big piece of the action.

And, of course, as you mentioned, the project, whatever it is, will not be completed, with no benefit of the bargain and no enhanced economic prductivity obtained with which to pay the loan. Future generations of Dominican poor and middle class (what's left of it) will have to deal with the debt.

You know what makes me sick more than anything? Mr. Blueblood actually thinks he's superior to the gravy-sucking PRD slimeballs with whom he's complicit in robbing from the poor. But, then, he probably contibutes greatly to his Baptist church.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention. You "holier than thou" Canadians do the exact same thing.

And i thought that i was silver tongued .

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
TCIDR said:
Do you Clinton will be able to pull thru for Leonel with His Saudi investors.
I have this gut feeling that DR is going to 'kick off' as a powerhouse in the coming years - decade.
One must have to admit that DR have all the resources in house if they were to take full advantage of it.
I feel there are some eyes on the DR from Continental countries wanting to get an inch, a foot or so.
This is an old thread, but maybe it can be worked so more.....would anyone want to confirm or reject my sneaky suspicions (sp?)

Ex-president Bill Clinton does have a lot of contacts, likes to stay at Casa de Campo and play golf. He could very well help Leonel who was in office during the Clinton years. But, the no.1 problem facing the DR is the electricity power grid near total collapse. If something is not done within the next 3 -4 months it will go from being unbearable to a non-functioning country, where business and industry cannot survive. If that happens, then expect the lower middle class driven into complete poverty because very few can work without electricity. It won't be an easy solution to resolve, because the country is broke. Phones cut off from the Dept. of Education? Phones cut off at the Presidential palace? Hospitals that have no supplies, no fuel to run generators, no money to pay salaries. The country is in bad shape. If and when electricity becomes affordable and stable, perhaps then international investment can make a difference to bolster the country. Maybe B.C. can think of a way for Leonel to resolve the electricity crisis, but I would not bet on it. The situation calls for millions of dollars to be paid to generators to resolve situation and continued on-time payments to generators and distributors. If you ask me, the greed of Union Fenosa has nearly destroyed the Dominican Republic.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Check this out

kingofdice said:
Ex-president Bill Clinton does have a lot of contacts, likes to stay at Casa de Campo and play golf. He could very well help Leonel who was in office during the Clinton years. But, the no.1 problem facing the DR is the electricity power grid near total collapse.

You are on to something here. But check out this Clinton connection.

http://politicalfriendster.stanford.edu/showPerson.php?id=360

I am no one important at all, but I have seen these 2 together in the DR within the past 12 months.

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
Yes, I have had friends that spotted Clinton playing golf on the "teeth of the dog" golf course at Casa de Campo a number of times and were thrilled to see him in the next fairway over. You can always tell if he is around, because you see lots of black escalade SUV's (secret service) around. Certainly doesn't hurt for the D.R. to have Bill Clinton for a friend. But, the first 2 years of Leonel's presidency will be damage control. Leonel will be like a man thrown overboard, bobbing up and down in rough seas with a small lifejacket on, to no fault of his own.

As Golo has stated though, Leonel has more brains that Hipolito. I think that is pretty much the promising savior, that the D.R. will have a president with intelligence. Unfortunately, intelligence and good intentions can be negated by the PRD majority in the senate, if they want to make Leonel look bad for their own political gain. The best thing the country could do, is vote the corrupt PRD who only think of how they can enrich themselves out of office. Corruption must be contained before the country can move forward. This is easier said than done for a country where corruption is a way of life. :rolleyes:

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Btw

kingofdice said:
Yes, I have had friends that spotted Clinton playing golf on the "teeth of the dog" golf course at Casa de Campo a number of times and were thrilled to see him in the next fairway over. You can always tell if he is around, because you see lots of black escalade SUV's (secret service) around. Certainly doesn't hurt for the D.R. to have Bill Clinton for a friend. But, the first 2 years of Leonel's presidency will be damage control. Leonel will be like a man thrown overboard, bobbing up and down in rough seas with a small lifejacket on, to no fault of his own.

As Golo has stated though, Leonel has more brains that Hipolito. I think that is pretty much the promising savior, that the D.R. will have a president with intelligence. Unfortunately, intelligence and good intentions can be negated by the PRD majority in the senate, if they want to make Leonel look bad for their own political gain. The best thing the country could do, is vote the corrupt PRD who only think of how they can enrich themselves out of office. Corruption must be contained before the country can move forward. This is easier said than done for a country where corruption is a way of life. :rolleyes:

BTW: I have played golf with Clinton, he cheats.

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
chuckuindy said:
BTW: I have played golf with Clinton, he cheats.
Well, Clinton might think that he can get away with fudging his score, since he is on vacation in the D.R. But, I doubt that he purposely cheats. Alot of my friends that I go golfing with, have never seen or read the USGA Rules of Regulations and make mistakes frequently on penalty strokes, ball lie and so on.

Seachange

Jan 13, 2004
www.Banker-Trust.com
Tony C said:
The Gov's Bailout of the Baniter debt will cost over 15% of the DR's Gross Domestic product. Name me one financial scandal in the US that will equal that?

The Savings and loan scandal of the 80's had many exexcutives spending time in Federal prisons. Do you think that Anbody in the DR will spend any significant "Hard Time"?

If you are going to Bitch about something back it up. If not you sound just like any other whinner with no money!

Internet Bubble Scam of 1999 - 2000!

Nobody went to jail but TRILLIONS of dollars went up in smoke.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
BushBaby said:
Hi Bill,
The expansion of port at Manzanillo has been under discussion for MANY years. 1996 - 2000 I used to work for David Salem who was the Hon British Consul for the North Coast & ran a Ship's Agent business here in town, He used to handle the SeaTrade ships & Ffyfes Banana ships that called into Manzanillo twice a month & the Melon ships for Debebe's operation. In 1999 (shortly after David's untimely death from cancer), I was asked to work on some ideas for the expansion of the port so that his widow could submit some proposals to various interested parties. I considered the refurbishment of the small track railway, the need for Cold Storage facility, extending & reinforcing the existing piers (to take bigger & stronger cranes to speed up loading/off-loading) & put the report through to her accordingly.

I don't THINK it was too adventurous a plan for Manzanillo (which by the way, I consider to be one of the most Beautiful areas a port can be located) & I think my then boss (David's widow) would have put forward a spirited presentation, but the whole thing came to naught. I sincerely hope that the present schemes under consideration get a far better hearing than the last time & that some forward movement for Manzanillo expansion does happen. PLEASE keep me adxised either by this board, PM &/or e-mail!! - Grahame.

Grahamme

Sorry this has taken so long to answer.
I'll email you the brochure that i saw about the Electric Plant project. It's all in Spanish, so I didn't understand what was being presented, but it appeared to be a rather ambitious project.
As to the Port of Manzanillo Expansion project, well I really don't know. When the Dubai people were here last year(?) they left without doing anything, or making a public departure statement. The last I heard was that they inferred they would return when the DR got it's financial house in order. Maybe between Lionel, Clinton and the international Banking community, they can do that, then we'll see.
I still maintain that a requested US$7billion (either grant or loan,repayable over a 20 year period) and complete dollarization of the economy, would be the best solution. Everything is based on the dollar anyway, so why not make it official?
As to making the DR the Transshipping Hub of the Caribbean Area, that makes a great deal of sense to me. This country is ideally situated for a venture of such a magnitude if the costs can be kept within a feasible range. From what I understand about the new port near Boca Chica, the charges are on the border of being outrageous and very greedy. Why does that not surprise us??
It would seem that the investors in that project wish to recover their investment in a very short period of time. Either that, or they overspent to begin with and instead of being competitive, they are arrogantly saying take it or leave it!
Whatever.
I have to run down Pascual for hat brochure, but will try to get it off to you today.

Texas Bill

Seachange

Jan 13, 2004
www.Banker-Trust.com
I just hate when someone holds of the US up as a paragon of virtue

Tony C said:
The Gov's Bailout of the Baniter debt will cost over 15% of the DR's Gross Domestic product. Name me one financial scandal in the US that will equal that?

The Savings and loan scandal of the 80's had many exexcutives spending time in Federal prisons. Do you think that Anbody in the DR will spend any significant "Hard Time"?

If you are going to Bitch about something back it up. If not you sound just like any other whinner with no money!

The perspective above is incredibily naive. People in the U.S. are ripped off to the turn of billions each day!

For instance, lets take just a small portion of the corrupt medical establishment - the cancer industry. Pharmaceutical companies, doctors, hospitals and others make billions off the innocent victims of cancer by convincing them to take radiation or chemotherapy treatments when they know it's not a cure.

It does help hodgkins lymphoma and testicular cancer and one kind of lukemia. But as far as a cure for any other kind of cancer ...forget it. Chemo kills the very thing you need to get rid of cancer ... your immune system! People are commonly fooled by their aggressive oncologist who most likely wouldn't take chemo or radiation himself.

I hate it when people go on and on about corruption in the DR and then hold up the US as some shining example of corruption minimized. The real truth is that the US has simply refined the art of corruption and as such it's simply not as obvious there as we see here in the DR.