Real estate Dominican Republic , Sosua

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Yes, correct.

And the only reason why the Sosua real estate market did not drop yet to its natural level of $300-$400US/ sq.m was the high numbers of Russian people who were interested in coming here and buying properties in this country as Dominican Republic until recently was the only nation in the whole World that allowed Russian newcomers in without any criminal background check at all and without visas.
( http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/to...bean-spots-Russians-prefer-Dominican-Republic)

However the picture is going to change soon as even Dominican Gov-t realized the dire consequences and as of April 1 requires clean criminal papers from all Russians looking for the residence. So, within next upcoming three-fours years the real estate prices in Sosua-Cabarete should become excellent for purchase/investing.

But for not being on the bottom in these three recent years our village must be grateful to Russian people only and to their money (without asking and thinking about its origin of course).

The Russians? :D. Russians can at times fool you as some can look somewhat "trashy", but believe me, if they made the money back "home" to be able to ditch it here... making money in Russia is NOT easy (y'all go an try!).
I remember 6 years ago, after the influx of money from Brits storming the Spanish RE-market from the late 90's on started to thin... everybody started to bet on the Russians! They did their thing alright... and just as they had appeared, they disappeared. It didn't safe the Mediterranean RE market of Spain either, now did it. It only gave it a nudge for a short time, mostly only based on FALSE hopes and "the Russians are buying this'n'that" STORIES. As they buy, one day the sell, some moving on just with a little whiter money.

Actually, the reasons behind the lack of price adaptation witnessed around here, is a bit more complex than that to understand, in my opinion, as there are MANY reasons.

Much also has to do with ignorance among the self-declared "professional comunity too, and the lack of the elsewhere common business wisdom which teaches us, that now and then, one has to cut losses to be able to move on.
Locals DO NOT cut losses, so they like to think, at least. Let's not forget that many locals "invested" in overpriced DR-RE too... and not just DomYolks but many local would-be business people and families who get money from abroad.
Believe me, I know just as many Dominicans who bought or had built wayyyy too expensive and now have been sitting on RE for years... hoping for a Gringo Palomito to come to their rescue... but until then:
Ai, y e facil, y yo debo perder? Nooooo! So, the loco asking price STAYS as aging 4-Sale signs slowly fade. It's called, flying a kite.
Then, there are those who argue that; "but, but... down the street they are "selling" for 450 thousand Dolares"! Well, TRYING to sell for YEARS, shall we say... with NO sale, often, now showing either. It's a misconception which is not only found flying high among locals but among burnt foreign would-be investors too.
The North Coast and much of the DR RE market is after all nothing but a NICHE market with no records, where asking prices can turn out a multiple of what effective but "secret" transactions really have been.
2000 sq. ft homes around USD 100K? I know enough which have changed hands at these prices! That's one more reason, many of us warn from RE-agencies-based buyer guidance and not to get into the buying mode before having lived here for many months.
Once you KNOW the places, the REAL prices, who NEEDS to sell NOW, because they run out of money so bad, they can't afford to repaint that 4-Sale sign.
And believe me, you can BUILD your 2000 sqft. home, 1000m2 lot included and still be around that price, once you KNOW!

Meanwhile, the window shopper's RE-agencies asking prices, remain fueled by the hopes that me, you or anyone else stepping off an airplane at Gregorio Luperon Int'l will prove the Gringo Palomo stories RIGHT, even if only just ONCE more.

Like CB said, if it's easy to buy, it will be tough to sell. That's your DR North Coast RE-market, right there.

... J-D.

Last edited:

edward360

Aug 8, 2010
Real Estate in the North coast

I`ve been living in Sosua and working the North coast since March `04 and noticed that there are safe areas and not so safe ones. Also that many realtors are not so honest about security in certain places, something that creates an unreal sense of insecurity for the whole area.

I also noticed that most problems happened because of the lack of a few pieces of advise, which sales people were reluctant to give out of fear of not closing a deal. Let`s be real, anywhere in the world there`s good and bad, we can tell people to just follow universal security measures and we`ll all be good. Most foreigners killed here were cases of illegal business deals or dealing with illegal business people. Most decent visitors never see trouble.

Also, if you come to the North in seek of lots of chicas, drugs or anything illegal, you will sooner or later be in trouble. Chicas can be good one night, just lock your stuff and hide the key.

Home security has a cost, gated communities are much better, condos too.

Need to mention that 95% of Haitians are good people, except the beggar kids that hurt each other for a dime. Most Haitians are afraid to be deported, something that can happen in a minute if they get caught in illegal acts.

Some travel guides can be a lot of help and tell you the good and bad, if you happen to find a good one they`ll tell you who`s good and bad in town. Also the expats can tell you from past experiences, quite useful.

Some of the best lawyers I know in the North coast:
-Julio Brea
-Guido Perdomo
-Jeannette Garcia
-Yanilda de la Cruz

In regards to real estate, there are many good deals from people who buy on impulse to later discover they want to sell quickly for many reasons that have nothing to do with security or the island but more on the personal level. Shop around and you`ll find the golden nuggets. ;)

You can have security, for a price!
In other words you gotta pay for it, gated community, security guards. Rent and visit for a span of time, make friends and develop relationships with people and build your network so you can do your thing as well. This is a great country, you can be safe and have a productive, fruitfull and fun life here moreso even than in your own country!

Go for it Nataliy

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I`ve been living in Sosua and working the North coast since March `04 and noticed that there are safe areas and not so safe ones. Also that many realtors are not so honest about security in certain places, something that creates an unreal sense of insecurity for the whole area.

I also noticed that most problems happened because of the lack of a few pieces of advise, which sales people were reluctant to give out of fear of not closing a deal. Let`s be real, anywhere in the world there`s good and bad, we can tell people to just follow universal security measures and we`ll all be good. Most foreigners killed here were cases of illegal business deals or dealing with illegal business people. Most decent visitors never see trouble.

Also, if you come to the North in seek of lots of chicas, drugs or anything illegal, you will sooner or later be in trouble. Chicas can be good one night, just lock your stuff and hide the key.

Home security has a cost, gated communities are much better, condos too.

Need to mention that 95% of Haitians are good people, except the beggar kids that hurt each other for a dime. Most Haitians are afraid to be deported, something that can happen in a minute if they get caught in illegal acts.

Some travel guides can be a lot of help and tell you the good and bad, if you happen to find a good one they`ll tell you who`s good and bad in town. Also the expats can tell you from past experiences, quite useful.

Some of the best lawyers I know in the North coast:
-Julio Brea
-Guido Perdomo
-Jeannette Garcia
-Yanilda de la Cruz

In regards to real estate, there are many good deals from people who buy on impulse to later discover they want to sell quickly for many reasons that have nothing to do with security or the island but more on the personal level. Shop around and you`ll find the golden nuggets. ;)

I can't add much to that.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I would say that most real estate agents that run their own businesses are honest , I think basically its up to the buyer to ask the right questions.

There are a lot of freelance real estate agents working for the larger chains that have never done real estate work before- basically they just bring the viewer to your house and stand there while the viewer looks around (we had one that didnt speak the language of the customer) customers were French.