Real estate query

JRSYCOLL

Mar 10, 2003
Thanks AGAIN

Thanks everyone!! As usual your assistance has been invaluable.We got wonderful advice both on the message board and privately. We will continue to search and hope for the best. We'll keep ya posted !!

guananico

Jul 12, 2006
Liar liar pants on fire!

I wasn't going to say anything but I am not going to sit by and watch somebody make a huge mistake by purchasing at Las Canas.

My dream had been to live in the D.R. for 6 months a year. We looked at many different properties and finally we were shown Las Canas. It was beautiful and everything we had dreamed of! We talked to the owners and management and were told how lucky we were to be getting in on the ground floor! What we saw that day was only a glimpse of what would be in only a month or so. We were assured (also in thier sales literature) that there would be 24/7 power, hi tech solar assisted hot water system, upgraded rapid wireless internet, shuttle service, upgraded TV cable, bars, stores, spa....blah, blah blah! I was so lucky! I signed a purchase order and said I would return in 6 weeks to finalize things. In the mean time they would be happy to rent my apartment out to help with our down payment.

OK...I returned as I said I would. My condos were not even cleaned or painted. For the first week I not only had no hot water I had NO water. TV? No. Electricity was on for about 12 hours a day and never between 1 AM and 6 AM. I was there for 3 months total and was blatantly lied to on a daily basis by the most despicable person I have ever met. I am not going to mention his name but others that have been there will know who I am speaking of.

After a week I got water. After 3 weeks I got hot water, for about 3 minutes at a time from the hi tech 5 gallon indoor water heater that was installed outside. There were dozens of promises for internet...literally every day a new promise and a new excuse why it wasn't up yet, when they were questioned they got ****ed. Never got internet except that I was picking up a wireless system from another tenant for a few weeks. 24/7 elec. turned into maybe we will get 8 today. When I left they had some new promises for elec. I got cable after a month but there was only 2 channels you could actually tell who was on the screen. The audio was actually fairly good. Some poor guy with the same dream as me tried to open a bar but found it to be a little difficult without power or anyone in the resort....despite multiple promises of grand openings and huge advertising campaigns. Shuttle service? The whole pack of wolves didn't have a car that was running more than a few days at a time!

There was some "Doctor" who was setting up a brilliant spa there. He had all these great formulas for skin care etc. Trust me on this one...he sold a 21 year old girl wrinkle cream for like 30 bucks and I swear it was ponds like my Granny used.

I have heard it has even gone further down hill and I hope and pray that whoever gets involved in this place gets out as fast as possible! Please do not buy here you will be scammed. I swear everything I said here is true. I was lucky.........you may not be! I had a daily diary I used for future problems. On the average I was lied to 2 times every day. Not ONE thing that was pomised was ever brought to fruition....NOTHING. Under present management it will not get any better.

Last edited:

JRSYCOLL

Mar 10, 2003

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! You have only verified what I heard from others.....I appreciate your feedback immensely

guananico

Jul 12, 2006
It is just outside Sosua to the East. In La Mulata. Turn right (heading east) at the Sosua Car Wash, about a mile.

JRR

Dec 9, 2004
Where did you get your info?

scsccs34 said:
if you plan to buy, just wait, probably before next year with the crime wave and the air tickets raising, you will find the same apartments for half price.

also, the wave of dumb buyers from usa/europe seems to be over, I was talking with some real state ppl in sosua/cabarete last month and they seemed very nervous, big change from 1 year ago...

I am a mortgage broker located here in the DR. I refinance homes and do cross collateralized loans on properties and assets in the US so clients can buy properties here for cash. I get many of my referrals from real estate agents and developers here.

While at the BBQ at Rocky's, I did some business with a developer in Cabarete. He told me that there are permits and applications for 2000+ apts in Cabarete alone. There are three condo projects I am working on Bavaro also. That does not incude the inquiries that individuals have made in reference to financing.

I do believe the market has changed somewhat as far as price, but not in so much in sales.

JRR

mspattya

Oct 2, 2006
I too am looking to buy a condo in the DR. I want to keep my price around 60000. any suggestions on what areas are nice. my first tripmis coming up on oct 15th
thanks
pat

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I too am looking to buy a condo in the DR. I want to keep my price around 60000. any suggestions on what areas are nice. my first tripmis coming up on oct 15th
thanks
pat
It depends on what part of the country.
The only two worthwhile in Sosua, in that price range, IMHO, are Trade Winds and The Palms