Really ****ty DR day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
30 years !!!!!! really.....only an idiot ( man or woman ) would waste 30 years of their adult life on something that was never real.

After 30 years maybe you just get tired of the relationship in general but to insinuate that it was fake all along or a set up.....GTFOH

Jilted much ?

I was kind of feeling the same way......I mean if you lasted 30 years that is a milestone within itself anywhere in the world. I thought that was funny...

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
30 years !!!!!! really.....only an idiot ( man or woman ) would waste 30 years of their adult life on something that was never real.

After 30 years maybe you just get tired of the relationship in general but to insinuate that it was fake all along or a set up.....GTFOH

Jilted much ?

So a 12 year scam is understandable, but than 30 years would be unreal. You're obviously on top of things and the exception. Truth hurt much?

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
I was kind of feeling the same way......I mean if you lasted 30 years that is a milestone within itself anywhere in the world. I thought that was funny...

The only accomplishment in that is that your digestive system can handle the broken glass your dominicana is putting in your food. And yes that is a true story of actually a Dominican couple (the guy was wealthy), so don't feel bad, it is not just a Gringo thing.

potus

Dec 27, 2015
So a 12 year scam is understandable, but than 30 years would be unreal. You're obviously on top of things and the exception. Truth hurt much?

Well, I do not know if I would call it a scam....we have 3 children and had some pretty good years as well......

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Puppy love turns into a dog's life. !!!

What we are doing here is hindsight and history..... 20/20 vision.
Comments are at best from bad experiences and the inability to determine the future beyond the experiences of the past.
When it should be the learning from the mistakes of the past.

I have many friends in Canada who have been married several times. Their wives were not Dominican.

The trouble is that it is always ''the other person'' who precipitates the trouble.
But, what made them precipitate in such a manner.

Food for thought.
I am not perfect as a husband , nor am I innocent in all things.
But, we are working on it. ''Together''.

WTF anyway?

Russell

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
Puppy love turns into a dog's life. !!!

What we are doing here is hindsight and history..... 20/20 vision.
Comments are at best from bad experiences and the inability to determine the future beyond the experiences of the past.
When it should be the learning from the mistakes of the past.

I have many friends in Canada who have been married several times. Their wives were not Dominican.

The trouble is that it is always ''the other person'' who precipitates the trouble.
But, what made them precipitate in such a manner.

Food for thought.
I am not perfect as a husband , nor am I innocent in all things.
But, we are working on it. ''Together''.

WTF anyway?

Russell

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Be introspective, yada, yada, yada. This is a very different culture, and moral and ethical norms from western society are very different.
If you apply your own standards and think it relates to the way things may work back in your home country, then you are not being empathetic to what these people are thinking. Things that would be shameful in another country are a source of pride for Dominicans. Doesn't mean it won't ever happen back home, but the value system is reversed.
There is immense pride in the scam and that is what they live for. Everything is a zero-sum game and there is no win-win in this society.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Be introspective, yada, yada, yada. This is a very different culture, and moral and ethical norms from western society are very different.
If you apply your own standards and think it relates to the way things may work back in your home country, then you are not being empathetic to what these people are thinking. Things that would be shameful in another country are a source of pride for Dominicans. Doesn't mean it won't ever happen back home, but the value system is reversed.
There is immense pride in the scam and that is what they live for. Everything is a zero-sum game and there is no win-win in this society.

does the name DRdone mean you lived here and left? If so great, in the course of my more than 20 years here I have meet both some scumbags and some wonderful people. surprisingly both groups have been comprised of both dominicans and foreigners.

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
does the name DRdone mean you lived here and left? If so great, in the course of my more than 20 years here I have meet both some scumbags and some wonderful people. surprisingly both groups have been comprised of both dominicans and foreigners.

Yes, that is what it is for. Like to check in every once in a while and enlighten the crowd. I met everyone there, and they were all scumbags ;). I felt to live there I would need to adjust my moral compass way too much, so I decided to leave. Still have interests their unfortunately.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

Where exactly is this utopia you reside in which is devoid of scumbags, and that you are allowed to let your moral compass guide your existence?

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
Where exactly is this utopia you reside in which is devoid of scumbags, and that you are allowed to let your moral compass guide your existence?

So let's analyze the incorrectness of your sentence. First you say an area devoid of scumbags. I stated that there are only scumbags in the DR, so any place that is not 100% scumbags would be better. Then in the same sentence you mock having a moral compass. Everyone has one, it is just where one's would personally be set. In short with your logic skills, I think you've found your utopia.

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
So let's analyze the incorrectness of your sentence. First you say an area devoid of scumbags. I stated that there are only scumbags in the DR, so any place that is not 100% scumbags would be better. Then in the same sentence you mock having a moral compass. Everyone has one, it is just where one's would personally be set. In short with your logic skills, I think you've found your utopia.

"There are only scumbags in DR."

You should give that statement some thought before beginning to correct anyone on anything. Whenever anyone tells me that this nationality or that nationality is that way or this way I for the most part don't even bother trying to have an intelligent conversation with them. You or anyone can't possible think that the above statement is a true one. For even if there was one good person your statement would be false. Yet, you are telling us that out of millions of people while you were there the only one with a decent moral compass was you. Perhaps, I'm missing something but I highly doubt it.

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
"There are only scumbags in DR."

You should give that statement some thought before beginning to correct anyone on anything. Whenever anyone tells me that this nationality or that nationality is that way or this way I for the most part don't even bother trying to have an intelligent conversation with them. You or anyone can't possible think that the above statement is a true one. For even if there was one good person your statement would be false. Yet, you are telling us that out of millions of people while you were there the only one with a decent moral compass was you. Perhaps, I'm missing something but I highly doubt it.

Well firstly I was questioning the logic. My statement was 100% were scumbags (with a wink after), but somehow that changed to where is my utopia with no scumbags. I never insinuated that I need a place with no scumbags, and hence if there isn't a place with no scumbags then all places are equal. It's called a straw man argument. If you have not seen the massive differences in culture (for the worse) in the DR than you are what people call in their "honeymoon" stage.
Just conduct a social experiment. Start telling Dominican's how bad their culture is, in one on one conversations. If they see they have nothing to gain/scam from you, they will soon be agreeing with you and will tell you how they are trying to leave the country. I've had that conversation many a time and you would be shocked that almost every time it turned into that. I wasn't doing it as an experiment, just speaking my mind, but it was interesting to see it turn from "but don't you find us so friendly", to "yes I don't like my (culture), I want to leave".
Try having an honest conversation about a win-win scenario. You'll get something like, oh you make a million dollars and I make 10 pesos. They just can't understand the sense of value for value.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Well, so goes "utopia" at 3:00am.

Let's all go into blissful sleep and give it a rest.

Good night folks.....................

Status
Not open for further replies.